1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is It Possible To Remove Scratches From Glass ??....

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Crow Horse, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Jul 1, 2020 at 5:48 AM
    Crow Horse

Crow Horse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB TRDS, 2012 DCSB TRDOR
    Since I've been paying more attention to the appearance of our Tacomas, I've just recently noticed that there is a significant scratch on the rear window. Short of replacement, can the scratch be buffed or polished out without further damaging the glass? Pictures are forthcoming....

2. Jul 1, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    the short answer is yes
    but its not exactly fixing the scratch as much as cleaning it out and masking it from the naked eye
    there are some really good videos on youtube about this, you should check some out...

I had some really really, Really bad hard water stains on my auto glass, and really without buffing it with some power tools and quality products I would have never made progress (not exactly scratched but in some ways similar, as hard water satins can in time etch glass)

gorram likes this.
  3. Jul 1, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Yeah forget about trying to remove scratches or pits from glass. What you can fix are some water spots or the more common thing like the marks that wipers make when you've let them grind dirt or if they're spent. Even then it can take MANY passes with the most aggressive tools like a rotary and glass specific rayon pads and polish. The polish is usually derived from cerium oxide which is usually sold in powder form. No idea what the mix ratio or just buy a small bottle of Carpro Ceriglass. Be advised that a rotary will fling that shit EVERYFUCKINGWHERE so plan on rinsing it down or give it a full wash afterwards. If there is another car parked nearby move it or plan on washing it too.

It's a good process to do for a real cleanup if using a glass coating and you want to get the best longevity and performance out of it. Even after washing be sure to use alcohol or a prep spray if applying a coating.

4. Jul 1, 2020 at 7:09 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I texted Spock and got back 'Improbable'.

If in the right place, maybe mask it with a decal of choice?

5. Jul 3, 2020 at 5:58 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    There are products on the market for "buffing out" scratched automotive glass, but this is a proceedure that's better left to professionals, especialy on windshields.

Watch this for detailed instructions and product recommendations:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyBGQizuzY

Products Discussed in

To Top