1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

is it really bad to tow with truck <1k miles?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Lunercrab, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Lunercrab

Lunercrab [OP] AKA "06tacosport"

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 timberland mica dcab sport
    OK so I just bought my 2012 back in December. Its pretty much a pleasure vehicle since my corolla is my DD. Long story short my first camping trip will be at the end of April. I only have like 300 miles on it now and probably wont have more then maybe 500 miles and a fresh oil change before then. Now I'm only towing a 1400lb popup. Is that gunna be bad for the truck?

2. ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double cab 4X4 TRD Sport with JBL
    Redline Tuning hood struts, tinted windows, FX-R HID projector retrofit headlights, AMP power steps
    I think they recommend not towing anything for the first 1000 miles.

3. wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Lunercrab,

I do not see any real problems with towing that small of load. I would avoid maintaining the engine at a constant speed very long. Slowdown, or down shift occassionally. Do not lug the engine on grades.

Do you have the trailer already? If so, do a 20-50 mile test drive with the trailer so as to have plenty of time to discover and correct any problems found, lights, brakes, correct hitch drop.

1400 pound is like 4-5 people and their luggage. So read through your owners manual on towing and follow their suggestions, you should be fine. Have a great trip.

4. spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, OME Lift Kit, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I had 600 miles on my truck and towed a 3000 lb trailer ~300 miles over two days. Just don't race the engine or try climbing a mountain with it and you should be fine. I'm at 26k now and have had no powertrain issues.

5. sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    You'd probably be fine, but why not use it to commute a few times to get over the 1,000 miles mark? Won't cost much and give you peace of mind?

6. Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    ^ problem is I deliver for a living so whatever vehicle I use to get to work I have to deliver with. Filling up that tank vs the corolla will kill me. Plus with the hard city aggressive stop and go driving I think would be worse for my truck.

7. sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    For 500 extra miles it would be say an extra 10 gallons or so? No, the stop and go won't hurt it.
    It's up to you, as I said, you'll probably be fine either way. But I guess since you asked you are not sure, so the piece of mind I thought might be worth it to you.

One question: you traded a 2010 Tacoma for a brand new 2012 model, drive a 2010 Corolla sport, got new wheels and tires for the truck already that has under 500 miles on it, $500 seat covers, and $40 extra in gas "will kill" you? :confused: No big deal, just saying, it kinda stuck out and seemed odd .... :)

8. Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    ^lol its the slow time of the year at the shop right now so instead of averaging 20-30 bucks an hour I'm lucky if I make 13. That's the only thing that sucks delivering its never guaranteed income. I can afford mY lifestyle one month and can't the next. Plus I hate to stink up my poor truck with food.

9. Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    Oh and the tires rims and covers I actually took off my 2010 and bought those back in 09 wasn't gunna let the dealer get those from me ;)

To Top