1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

is it really worth lifting a 5 lug?

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Hinanomon, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    Taylor

Taylor Check out NASA Spec3!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vienna, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    NASA Spec3 RaceCar
    I plan on lifting mine soon. I say go for it! If you're not offroading and just want a lifted truck (like me) I'd say do it.

It's pretty expensive to do, so be wary. If you do it right, it looks amazing.

2. Mar 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    87xjmike

87xjmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom
    Vehicle:
    98 5lug 2rz
    downey mid travel 2wd set up
    :facepalm:
    Many will attest that with the stiffer springs and shock valving that come with a lot of lifts it will yield better handling than in stock form.
    Plus the unpaved world is a hell of a lot bigger than the paved one, where's the logic in limiting yourself to pavement?
    Have fun going to the mall for your sunday fun while we explore.

lift it...

Here's some 5 lugs of fury for ya.
    88000_brum05_bb32bfb23ac3a62589561b16ee243526ab7f2100.jpg

http://youtu.be/g-n4fAJfI4I

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    NakedTacoma

NakedTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Covina
    Mid travel front Long travel rear
    ur logic is incorrect

4. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    Those x runner engines are ballsy. Dan vance has one in his race truck :D

5. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    this thread is full of derp.

to those who are saying op is being ungrateful and selfish that the truck his parents bought him is not what he wants; He is 20, im pretty sure he has the right to buy and sell vehicles on his discretion of weather or not they fit his needs and wants.

op: if you really want to get into off roading a 4x4 is the only way to go. i dont care how wonderful you make your 5 lug, its still one wheel drive in the rear of a light truck. You only live once, so if you want to off road go for it. If you have the money to do so, you can sell your 5 lug you might be pretty close to being able to get an older second gen 4x4. you won't need to lift is because it will already be at lest as tall as your 5 lug would be after you spent the money to lift it.

good luck :thumbsup:

or you could not be a dumb shit and just buy a pre runner. that would be a COMPLETE waste of an x

6. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    tacomadave2499

tacomadave2499 Member

Member:
    If you want a lifted truck, lift it.

Fat Bobs spacer lift, black box removal and 31" All Terrains.

If you want to, take it offroad get it dirty, get it stuck, learn how to get it unstuck.

7. Mar 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    87xjmike

87xjmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom
    Vehicle:
    98 5lug 2rz
    downey mid travel 2wd set up
    sooo much derp up in here. I'm out, taking my 5 lug to vegas for the mint 400. later bitches.

8. Mar 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    NakedTacoma

Member:
    West Covina

it all depends on what u want to do with the truck ... x runner /prerunner is the exact same thing after doing LT

if you were really goiing to go all out in offroading a 5 lug miniwould be the best option because every thing is going to get replaced anyways...in terms of tacomasx that is

9. Mar 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Agreed. Why don't they buy a Ferrari 458 Italia and LT it? :rolleyes: :eek:

10. Mar 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    LTRANGER661

LTRANGER661 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I get about 20 mpg with my 22re.
    IMO lowering should only be done to cars not trucks.

11. Mar 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    5LUGTACO

5LUGTACO Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    California
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA 5 LUG
    Total Chaos Mid Travel, Sway away coilovers,31x10.50x15 goodyear wrangler authority's
    It's worth lifting a five lug for looks. Same as any other truck be it 4wd or 2wd. Unless your lifting for bigger tires on the trails. Now adding suspension components that add performance to your vehicle will lift your truck a bit like long travel but that stuff is done to use your truck off road. Not just look cool. If you are going to use 4wd and plan on off roading I would say get a 4x4, if your just going after the "coolness" of a lifted truck keep your 5 lug put a 6" body lift on there and 35"s and a 4" spacer lift with a 4" lift leaf pack. You should be ready for the mall after that :thumbsup:

12. Mar 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    well no shit they are the same AFTER you dump a shit load of money into the x to completely change the suspension to turn it into something it was not designed to do. Most people do not have the funds to so such an unnecessary idea, so the prerunner is 100000x closer to being able to be used as your off road truck, in terms of what the average person wants to use it for, than an x. i just dont understand why you are suggesting that buying an x and making it long travel is easier and more practical than starting with a prerunner? thats just fucking stupid

are you serious? your posts just keep getting more and more idiotic. If you were going to go into off roading just get a dam 4x4 like i suggested. there is NOTHING on a 5 lug base that was designed for off roading, so why the hell would you start with that as your "best option"?

i literally have no idea what you are on about or what you are trying to say. it almost looks like you are trying to make a valid point out of nothing and refuse to let your stupid idea die, so please just stop.

op said he wants to get into off roading, so yes. he should just buy himself a 4x4 and not spend the money on his 5 lug then regret still having a useless offroad truck.

13. Mar 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    NakedTacoma

Member:
    West Covina
    a 4x4 for off roading? maybe in ur butt fuck town but if ur looking for a prerunner type truck 2wd is what u want . 2nd i said interms of tacomas i would get a base tacoma because in the end u dont use any of the stock suspension and you can get them for cheaper than a trdsport ect ect.

if i had an xrunner and wantedto make it off roading dont see any issue with that ... when take a xrunner and a prerunner and put full LT front and rear theonly diffrence now is the amount of lugs and gears....

so take ur hard e-thug ass and chill out .

14. Mar 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    NakedTacoma

Member:
    West Covina
    with a base prerunner and xrunner there is no better platform for starting off with because everything gets replaced . theonly diffrences is the prices .... a 5lug LT kit cycles 13 WT just like the TC 6 lug LT kit ...

oh and 4x4 has limited front travel btw so no 4x4 isnt the best
    but i forgotthisis tacomaworld and everyone is all about mall queens lol or sick rockcrawlers!! lmao

15. Mar 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    i was going to hold off on the name calling because i wanted to keep it respectful, but you are flat out just a blatant fucking idiot.

First off, "4x4 for off roading in my butt fuck town"...?, i am at a loss for words on how to respond to that blatant level of ignorance. An lt truck is good for one thing, going fast, usually through the desert. OP lives in hawaii! there is not much in the area of LT off roading there. for everything else, and everywhere else 4x4 is the only way to go to off road. Im sorry you live in california and your only experience with off road is 2wd desert mobbing, but pretty much everywhere else 4x4 is the only way to go.

You say that you would get a base because you replace all of the old suspension anyway. Why dont you go take a look at all of the builds for LT trucks here and tell me how many started out as 6 lugs and how many started out as 5 lugs. Not that many people can afford a total redo of their suspension to make their 5 lug a decent LT. it is much less expensive for the average person to just upgrade their 6 lug suspension, again, because IT IS ALREADY BUILT FOR IT. Do you realize what a low end full LT suspension set up costs? Probably about 3x more than the difference in 5 lug to 6 lug pre runner you dip shit. it absolutely is not cost effective for the average person to get a base 5 lug and lt build it vs just getting a prerunner. but in this case it doesent even matter becuase the op lives on some islands in the pacific.

I realize for a full on LT build 4x4 has limits to how much suspension travel. but again that is on the far end of the spectrum for a full race style build. Go check out jberry's 4x4 lt truck. it is a very nice rig and i dont think he is complaining much about the travel he has to give up when he can still stick it in 4wd and not get his ass stuck in a little bit of sand.

why are you still on the idea of making an x runner a LT truck? you sound so dumb suggesting that. the difference, ontop of the gears which you already mentioned, is the amount of unnecessary work needed. You keep saying "well IF you put in full lt front and rear yadda yadda yadda" but who the hell would do that? whats the point!? Even so between the two trucks there still are differences even after you do an entire suspension rebuild. just give up.

i dont have a hard e-thug ass attitude at all, im just calling you out for being an idiot. throwing out the "e-thug" insult only means you dont like the fact that someone thinks your opinions suck ass and actually takes the time to tell you. im not saying how much better i am, or anything along those lines, im just telling you why i think you are wrong.

16. Mar 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    Shemicals

Shemicals Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Concord - East Bay CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Black Sand Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    Build Page
    dont make me smack you

check out my build. i have 33 x 12.5"s on my five lug

17. Mar 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Shemicals

Shemicals Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Concord - East Bay CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Black Sand Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    Build Page
    Hmmm. someone had his hateraide today

18. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    op if you want to build your truck for off roading go right ahead. get a locker and do a decent mid travel set up. dont listen to any of these guys :D

19. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    I'd lift it and make it cool.

20. Mar 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Taylor

Taylor Check out NASA Spec3!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vienna, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    NASA Spec3 RaceCar
    ^^ This guy knows his shit.

Products Discussed in