1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it time for a new head gasket?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stevep89, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    stevep89

stevep89 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    syracuse
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4x4 TRD V6
    Hey guys,
    So, I'm pretty sure it's time for a new head gasket, but I wanted to see what some of you had to say.
    First off, I have a 06' with the 4L V6 with just over 116,000 miles on it. I recently did an oil change and when I took the oil cap off I saw the inside of the cap had that thick, white stuff on it. Also noticed my coolant reservoir was low (was like 1/4 full) and had to put some in the radiator it’s self. Not to mention there is a smell of coolant after I've been driving.
    I did some research and looked into other possibilities, for instance: I do live in New York and some say the colder weather causes condensation and thus some of the white film on the cap. Also, I'm a college student so during the school year a decent amount of my driving is from 1 end of campus to the other and the truck doesn’t get to full operating temp.
    But, I really don't see either of those being convincing enough in my situation...especially having to refill my coolant and the smell. I have put on a couple hundred miles since I refilled the coolant and so far so good. So I'm thinking it's head gasket time, just the leak is very small (right now).

I plan on having a coolant system pressure test done before I start tearing into the engine.

Anyone have other possibilities, thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    I live in SE PA and have the same prob w/ my truck on the oil cap. As far as the coolant level, it will vary all the time with the temp. When you change your oil did you notice that it looked like choclate milk instead of???????? oh lets say coffee. Big difference. A blown headgasket will lead to the vehicle losing all it's coolant into your engine block when the vwhicle is shut off do to pressure difference and it will blow out white smoke, like you had a trash can fire out your tailpipe and the engine will bog down and die. If you expirience any of this, then yes, time to change that head gasket. If ya get a little film on your oil cap, no worries, just take it off road more. That is your truck begging you to use er' more.

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Usually if your head gasket is blown you would have other issues besides the smell off coolant. i.e. overheating and white smoke out the tail pipe all the time. I would definetly have your cooling system pressure tested for a better answer. I've had to add a little coolant to my truck every so often too, but I don't see it as a big deal if I don't see any coolant in my oil (mine has the crap in the cap sometimes too) or leaks on the ground.

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    This seems to happen to you a lot.

5. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:

Comments like that get you neg/neutral rep.

I personally don't give neg/neutral rep because I don't want it to happen to me, sort of a karma thing. Maybe try being helpful instead of just saying, "search". This guy only has like 3 posts, so maybe he hasn't learned the ropes just yet.

6. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    ^^This^^

Now read some of these. It's normal. Don't waste your money on changing good HG's.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2432254

7. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:

I do agree with the search thing. And I did see you agreed with what I had stated to the OP too:).

I think the neutral rep is to tell you that someone doesn't like what you said but doesn't want to give you negative rep and hurt your status...maybe? :notsure:

8. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    There is no neg rep.

9. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    lol, I failed again......:p

10. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    stevep89

stevep89 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    syracuse
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4x4 TRD V6

Ha ha I know, I am. Figured I'd just post quick to see what people have said as I continue my search...thanks for the advice though.

11. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    tacos

tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NKY
    Vehicle:
    05 A/C Off Road 4x4
    BHLM,5100's set 2.5,Toytec 2" aal,FJ TRD wheels,AFE pro-dry, Duratracs
    I have to clean my oil cap off and usually top off the coolant resevoir every oil change. Your trucks fine, nothing to worry about.

12. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You need to do a leakdown test. You can build one for about $30, if you have a drill and a vise, and air compressor.
    The test involves putting each cylinder at top dead center(tdc) and bottom dead center(bdc) and putting compressed air into the cylinder. The tester measures how much pressure the cylinder loses. Since the air has to go somewhere, you can listen to where the air comes out. Radiator, crack in block or bad head gasket. Oil fill cap, rings.
    You can have up to 20% blow by the rings, but a good engine is 12% or less.

13. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    stevep89

stevep89 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    syracuse
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4x4 TRD V6
    Yea, I know the coolant level varies...when I first noticed the film that also when I saw that I lost like 3/4 of the coolant in the reservoir. So that concerned my only b/c I saw such a big difference not, say, 1-3 inches less. When I changed the oil, it was fine...nice and black, not coffee haha. As for the smoke, hard to tell right now b.c its still cold by me...but my engine isnt bogging down or anything like that. As for off roading, I think ur right haha....I'm dying to get back home, there's a bunch of places I go in the summer.

14. Mar 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Don't give up here just yet

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Around To Many People
    Vehicle:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Lugs
    Brute Force Bumpers: rear & custom front tube, Saw-A-Way Racerunner 2.5 Coilovers with Total Chaos UCAs. Icon AAL.
    Didn't read any of the other posts, Save the hassle as you're overthinking this one I think.

When you've got overheating issues and white smoke pouring out your tailpipe, then worry about a head gasket.

If your real concerned, do a pressure test, do a block test (test for combustion vapors in the coolant).

To Top