1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it too late- transmission flush

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ayunk04, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

The DIY flush thread isn't the same as a transmission shop flush. So you'll be fine doing it.

2. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    weclome to the wonderful world of toyota transmissions!! I have a 2005dclb 4x4. It has 116k on it. When i hit the 100k mark, i figured it was time for a trans. flush (not a drain and refill, thats only like 3 qts.) You'll will get alot of mixed reviews about this issue on here, especially people saying that if it has over 100k, dont mess with. Heres the deal, there are probably tons and tons of people (including myself) that get it FLUSHED at the dealer around 100k since thats when toyota recommended be done on these "sealed transmissions." I had mine done at 102k, even though it shifted fine beforehand. It shifts exactly like it did before the flush. I've heard horror stories of people flushing tranmissions with high mileage, but have u heard a bad one lately from a toyota tacoma owner? i havn't--and there are lots of people with tacomas that get the flush done everyday. I know there still seems to be risks with high mileage flushes but then again, this isnt a 1985 chevy with a turbo350 with 100k getting flushed either...bottom line..id get it done.

Manfred likes this.
  3. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Flush it.[​IMG]

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Steve...How many miles was on that?

5. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Sorry, I lifted the pic off the web but clearly if the oil looks anything like on the left....get it out.

6. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    ayunk04

ayunk04 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    trd off road
    6 inch pro comp
    still torn on what to do...

Manfred likes this.
  7. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    ayunk04

ayunk04 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    trd off road
    6 inch pro comp
    thanks for all the input here just keep it coming... the more opinions the better

8. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    Silver DC

Silver DC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Prerunner SuperCharged
    Supercharged,TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, DTLT Headers, L.E.D. Taillights, Factory BHLM,Wet Okole Seat Covers,Weather Tech Digi-cut Floorliners
    I was a Toyota mech for about 10 years and been working on them for about 25 years. The rule of thumb I always went by was, If you have a problem with your trans then changing the fluid will not help. I have changed the fluid and filter on very many cars and never had a problem from just changing the fluid. Some of the vehicles had over 150000 on them and never had it changed before I changed it. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I doubt it,my lucks not that goood.......

9. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

If you talk to a transmission guy. A bad trans is a bad trans, flushing the fluid will just bring the problem more to light. If it is a bad trans, don't change the fluid either, get it rebuilt. I had a GM 4L60E trans that was shifting rough and I did a drain n fill on it and then it was almost undrivable. The problem was already there, the new fluid swelled the seals and clutches and long story short, shifting into third gear, I thought the trans dropped. If you do the trans yourself, if the fluid has a dictinct burned smell, don't put new fluid in. Put the old burnt fluid back in and go have your trans rebuilt or get a new one. If you take it to toyota, anything that happens to your trans will be on them, same with trans shop. If anything is wrong, they'll be able to tell you right away.

10. Feb 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
  11. Feb 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    XC4ME

XC4ME Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Litchfield Park, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    I just had a flush done yesterday on my 2005 V6 with 103,000 miles on it. The reason I did was because I was getting a "shudder" between the 3-4 and 4-5 shifts at low RPM's.

I drove it all around today and so far everything is golden, no shudder or other issues.

I hope I'm good for another 100,000 miles :)

12. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Alan in GA

Alan in GA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Powder Springs, Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Off Road 4x4
    tool chest, company logo/decals
  13. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    AstroluxAtom

AstroluxAtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunnyvale, California
    Vehicle:
    '05 v6 4.0L DCSB Offroad Prerunner Debadged
    3" Pro-Comp lift kit, Pro-Comp Tires, Magnaflow exhaust dumped at rear axle.
    Well I got the balls to do it today even after being a little sketched out by this thread. Everything went perfectly smooth and exactly as described in the tutorial. Took me about 3.5 hours with me being super anal and careful about everything. After getting the truck into temp check mode I idled for about 15 minutes and the light came on. Crawled under and removed the overfill plug and there was moderate flow but it only took about 20 seconds to get it to a small trickle. Sealed it up with a new crush washer and checked for leaks. I took her for a spin and it shifts just the same, but its all about the preventative maintenance. Im gonna take a picture of my old fluid and post it. To anyone who is sketched out...Read read and read some more until you are exactly sure on what to do. I went out and made sure I had all the supplies I needed so I wouldnt be stopped in my tracks with the tank empty. All in all I used 11.75 quarts of 12 purchased from the dealer. The parts guy gave me a super deal since I bought a case and sold it to me for $65. Win.

14. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    Tacolover443

Tacolover443 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Haverford, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OR DCSB BSP
    Satoshi, color match grill, 2 Hella 500ff's, rear TSB, yellow "Taco", OEM all-weather floor mats, OEM TRD seat covers, Ultra-Gauge, bed linered rear bumper, Plasti-dipped rims, DuraTrac's,
    I just flushed my AFT at 60K ... I had everything I needed to do it, and I was at my brothers shop, so we just said what the hell, why not. Everything went fine (just a little messy :p ) and shifting is like butter now.

15. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    A mechanic at a specialty import shop once told me that some shops, that do a flush. Connect there machine to the drain plug & force trans oil into the transmission. Then drain it. He said this is the wrong approach. What it does is loosen any particles that settled on the bottom of the transmission. The particles will float up & adhere to the moving parts causing damage. The way he flushed the transmission is pull the plug(or drop the pan, depending on transmission), remove fluid. Replaced plug(or pan) added fluid & a detergent. Would crank vehicle & run for 10 minutes or so. Drain trans, refill with trans fluid, run 10 minutes, drain & refill again. This is why that shop charged alot for the transmission flush.

I never had my 05 tacoma transmission flushed & traded it at 173,500 miles with no issues.

16. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    AstroluxAtom

AstroluxAtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunnyvale, California
    Vehicle:
    '05 v6 4.0L DCSB Offroad Prerunner Debadged
    3" Pro-Comp lift kit, Pro-Comp Tires, Magnaflow exhaust dumped at rear axle.
    Heres the used fluid @ 113k miles. Very dark maroon (BLACK) but it smelled fine. Pretty sure it has never been changed before...I didn't see any signs of wear on the outside of the pan bolts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's not a flush, that's just two sequential "drain and refills"... the same thing we should be doing every 60k.
    I wouldn't normally have an issue with what he did (the 2nd change is better), except that he added detergent to the first change.
    ATF is a VERY highly detergent hydraulic fluid in and of itself. I'd be concerned about compatibility between his detergents and the Toyota WS ATF, and of course, that detergent circulated through the entire trans, but his 2nd fluid change only replaced about 4 quarts of the 16 or so in the trans, so that detergent is still in there.

BTW: 2nd Gen Tacomas use ONLY Toyota WS fluid, dealer item, you can't buy it at Pep Boys. If your "trans guy" did not use it, get thee to a dealership and have them do a complete fluid exchange with the proper machine and fluid.

18. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Likely not.

Transmission service is the 2nd most neglected service item after chassis lube. Manufacturers haven't helped by selling vehicles without zerk fittings or trans dipsticks.

Another generally ignored item is a coolant drain and refill every couple of years.

100k, it's likely time to take care of all of these items, even if the coolant doesn't look bad.

Manfred likes this.
  19. Feb 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Some people have problems after a flush, some not. On my 4Runner with about 70k miles I did a trans pan drop and refilled it just to be on the safe side.

From what I've learned, the problem with flushes is that it stirs up gunk and whatnot in the transmission and this allows the stuff to flow into passages, etc. which eventually leads to problems. That's why more problems happen with higher mileage transmissions than a lower mileage trans.

20. Feb 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    for me, better safe then sorry. drain and refill is how i do mine.

Products Discussed in

To Top