1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it wise to buy one of the first 2016 Tacos off the assembly line?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Aspie83, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Aug 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You should start walking, running, or riding a bike to work, cuz...there isn't a vehicle / manufacturer on the planet that makes a perfect *issue free* vehicle. But then again....your knees might give out, you might develop shin splits & runners knee, or your chain will fall off and your bike tires will go flat. :thumbsup:

Surely...I've had a few issues on my 07 (2 years into new production). The most recent and major issue - failed frame. Toyota has taken care of everything including the frame (eventually).

7GR likes this.
  2. Aug 31, 2015 at 6:43 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Perhaps. But, a hitch on a truck increase it's value as well as it's versatility. I keep a step on mine, both to protect the bumper as well as ease access over head. It works well with my receiver hitch bike rack as well. On new trucks when you consider installation, mine was always thrown in free ( not really) during final negotiation, or I got it cheaper then elsewhere. So much do I like hitches, I have them on all my cars and wife's Rav and now her Venza. When her car dropped into a ditch, it was the easiest and safest thing to hook on to pull her out...I could go on, but IMHO, always put a hitch on a truck. You can at least put those ugly propellers on one. :)

7GR likes this.
  3. Aug 31, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser

Are you two saying cracked frame did not happen ? Short memory or short membership?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/05-motor-mounts-failed-failing.21849/
    In fact plenty of guys had to sue Toyota to get their frame fixed.. Look inside the thread...

Or how about headgasket...

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/head-gasket-problem-please-help.146961/
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/blown-head-gasket-19k.65289/
    That never got a recall...

4. Aug 31, 2015 at 7:00 AM
    7GR

7GR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    GSJ15W
    [​IMG]

5. Aug 31, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not really sure where you got that interpretation.... don't know, don't care :notsure:

Complain all you want about Toyota issues past & present - I dare you to be happier with another manufacturer.
    There aren't many (or any) manufacturers that can claim the reliability that Toyota does. My truck has certainly lived up to the reliability. Any minor issues were taken care of under warranty. Yea....frame failed...but they're taking care of that too. :thumbsup:

6. Aug 31, 2015 at 9:06 PM
    rohelio

rohelio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSB OR
    I purchased a 2005 within 3 months of initial production, owned it 8 years, 150k miles (until my wife rolled and totaled it :facepalm:). Never had one problem, just normal maintenance. Things may have changed, but I have enough confidence, I placed my order today.

Janster likes this.
  7. Sep 1, 2015 at 5:20 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Define happier.
    Toyota replaced frames because they got sued like hell. They did not do this from goodness of their heart. They did that because there was no stopping lawsuits, and it only could have gotten worse for them.

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...nerable-frame-rust-class-action-lawsuit-says/

I don't know many manufacturers who so majorly fked up . Name other manufacturers who made truck that turn salvage in a matter of less than 6 years?
    If not for people who are not afraid to speak against Toyota many here would be proud owners of junk scrap worth $100 at local yard. :rolleyes:
    People lost a lot of money before Toyota made attempt at fixing problems. Lets not pretend we are happy happy family here.
    Your new frame is a result of others people work and misery. Lets not pretend otherwise.

nv529 likes this.
  8. Sep 1, 2015 at 2:12 PM
    Roostfactor

Roostfactor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Pyrite Mica
    HPT/justDSM tuned factory ecu, URD Headers, JFR Y-Pipe/l 3" exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Maggy SC (JFR ported), JFR ported lower intake manifold, 76mm tb, 2.5 pulley, 640cc injectors, CSF Radiator, custom electric fan wit Autocoolguy controller, JFR SC pulley wrap mod
    Dang BlueT...I have read many of your posts on here and you do have a lot of useful information. You have obviously done much research and are very knowledgeable. So my question is why do you even come on this forum as it appears you despise Toyota!
    I just bought a 15 Tacoma and I love it! For those getting the 16 I'm sure you will love it too. I have owned 4 Toyotas now and they all have been super reliable vehicles.

John

Herniator likes this.
  9. Sep 1, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    As per:

dump_wood_zpszeon3fnv_42cbf018192f3a78d86d5f8db81bd9fa3878b52d.jpg

rear_driver_rack_2_zpsoal2bkyz_54ce3db9012b212ef7feb7915d775eb7be108ea9.jpg

Need one. A big-ass hitch gets the work done, disembowels rads, and keeps tailgaters at an honest distance.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Roostfactor likes this.
  10. Sep 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Mistake here is to think that I despite Toyota, if I did I would not own so many of Toyota vehicles. Toyota is a corporation that's there to make money, I buy their products when it makes sense. This forum is for people who own Tacoma, not a members of Toyota Cult and a lot of people here sound like cult followers which is a first sign that some people may need to seek a mental health help.
    If everybody were like those Cult wannabes, Toyota could sell two bamboo sticks with a sign Tacoma and n00bs would scream "Oh God look at the technology"

It could be I am just old and things or people dont impress me as easily as they do youngsters.

nv529 likes this.
  11. Sep 1, 2015 at 10:11 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    at least they remembered to beef up the axle with the new engine unlike the 2005 lol.

12. Sep 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    you know Blue T you are right on this. I love my tacoma but it is probably because I'm young, but if I were older I would probably buy a Tundra or 4Runner since both of those are better built.

nv529 likes this.
  13. Sep 1, 2015 at 11:05 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I wouldn't worry about it. It shares a lot with the 2nd generation, so I'm sure the same tooling and people are producing much of it.

14. Sep 2, 2015 at 6:27 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    Just like the years It took them to find and fix the rust problems with the frames.....

15. Sep 2, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:

Ok...so you obviously don't agree with and/or are not impressed with Toyota. That's fine.....
    Why are you here and why do you own one?
    I'm not going to jump on the same bandwagon that you're on. I have decades of Toyota ownership and real life experience with them. There's a reason why I keep going back. I'm sorry that you haven't experienced the same results and/or (for some reason) you have a thorn on your side about them.

But hey..I could've sold you an 8 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee a year ago. Perfect frame & perfect body....but the damn thing cost more in repairs than what it was worth. No lawsuits but the maintenance and repairs will suck you dry......Is that the kind of quality you're looking for?

America is SUE HAPPY...... people would sue manufacturers of forks for making them fat. Some lawsuits are legit but others are poor excuses for the lack of common sense.

BTW...did you forget to take your meds? :notsure:;) JOKING!!!

16. Sep 2, 2015 at 3:50 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    And THAT is why I buy Toyota products...They tend to fix things that are not just safety items. I had new head gaskets replaced at 80 on my GEN I at no charge. Another friend of mine had 120K on his and they did the same.

Janster[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Sep 2, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    That's a question you need to answer for yourself. Can you stomach some issues if they show up, or can you roll with them and just get them fixed if needed. Anything "new" will have growing pains once it gets out in general release. Might be a couple minor things, or a lot. Could be a recall issue that never showed up during trials. It's a gamble. IMO, I think the odds are good you'll be fine. This is exactly why they call it bleeding edge for first releases of anything. Just keep some bandaids in the glovebox.

Roostfactor likes this.
  18. Sep 3, 2015 at 6:37 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I am not the one who needs meds. You obviously have problems with critical thinking. Let me explain this again.....
    You got new frame because people sued Toyota
    If people did not sue Toyota your 2007 truck would be worth less than 8 year old Jeep. Do you understand that part ?

There are a lot of people who end up with their Tacoma worth less than a 20 year old Jeep because all you get for salvaged truck is $100 on scrap yard. Do you get that ?
    :facepalm:

19. Sep 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    Aspie83

Aspie83 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR AC MGM
    I lived in Vermont for 9 years and all vehicles that I know of rusted up there because of all the salt used on the roads. Of course that was years ago. But I'm wondering what defect was it that made the Tacoma frames prone to rusting more than other vehicles. I seem to recall that back in my Vermont days, the undercoatings available weren't much good. With some of them, the salt used to get between the coating and the frame causing more rust than if the frame had been without a coating. Again, I'm talking about the state of things around 30 years ago.

20. Sep 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    So what's your point?

Do you even know what an 8 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee fully loaded with a V8 is worth? I could take a tacoma with a rotted out frame and sell it for parts and you'd get more money out of it than a Grand Cherokee. You say $100 in scrap.... ...nice try. Do you get that???

Do you have any history of lawsuits that date back to the 1st gen rust recall?? I couldn't find any and I've never heard of any. But...I challenge you to prove me wrong. (I personally don't have the time or care)
    If you can't find any........ So, how is it that a lawsuit that was generated in the last few years have anything to do with the frame rust issues on trucks built back in 96-2004? Who's responsible for giving consumers new frames and buy backs on the 1st gens?

Products Discussed in

To Top