1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it's not a bad wheel bearing with else could it be?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Berto_evans, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Feb 3, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    Berto_evans

Berto_evans [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    Hey guys I thought I had a bad wheel bearing in My 2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4. Might still be a bad wheel bearing but when I Jack it up and spin the front wheels they just sound like the brake pads are slightly rubbing on the rotors like normal.. One side might be a little louder than the other. But nothing like videos I've watched. When I'm driving the noise is loud and gets louder the faster I go but when I turn right it goes away... Any input would be much appreciated.

2. Feb 3, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    Berto_evans

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    When driving it almost sounds like the truck is in higher rpms or something but that's not the case...

3. Feb 3, 2018 at 4:50 PM
    Dimestore55

Dimestore55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Prerunner DCSB
    That's what happens with bad wheel bearings. You wont notice the noise when jacked up and spinning by hand because they are not under load.

JDawg562 likes this.
  4. Feb 3, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Yeah bad wheel bearing

5. Feb 3, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
  6. Feb 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    Mongoose

Mongoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Pull the brake pads out (2 pins), then recheck the bearings.

Vasqu3zk likes this.
  7. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    Earlious

Earlious I'm here cause you broke it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernesto
    Chico, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Red Demon DCLB TRD Sport
    Map light mod,A/C knobs,Weather-Tech,Console & Glovebox Organizer's
    When you turn left does it get louder? If so your rightside front wheel bearing is bad. Is there play in the bearing when you shake it at the 12 and 6 o'cock position? I've seen plenty at the shop that come in making no noise when you free spin it. Only under load does it show up.

Vasqu3zk and scottalot like this.
  8. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    If the noise goes away when turning a certain direction, it's the opposite side wheel bearing that is failing. As the weight transfers in turns at speed, it lifts weight off the inside wheel putting more force on the outside wheel. One certain way to check wheel bearings is to lift the front end till tires are off the ground then grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and see if there is play when you shake in/out. If there is play you have a failing wheel bearing.

If you remove the wheel, you can pop the center axle cap, and check the torque on the axle nut. Remove the cotter pin on the castle nut and see if you can get another 1/8th to 1/4 turn out of it. If you can turn it align the hole for cotter pin back up and reinstall the cotter pin. This is a cheaper alternative if you catch it soon enough but most likely once it starts to make the groaning noise it's too late.

scottalot likes this.
  9. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:30 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Just an FYI for OP if he doesn’t realize, 12 and 6 position can also mean bad ball joints. Diagonally is more specific to wheel bearings. Unfortunately on the tacoma, sometimes the extra play method doesn’t work. Best to verify with excessive bearing noise.

10. Feb 3, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    Yeah, this is another possibility. If you can observe or have a 2nd set of eyes observe the ball joint for play, you can rule that out. Also if the tie rod is moving, it could indicate a bad inner joint on the steering rack. Or may be part of the problem also. Too many variables out of tolerance will create premature wear on all the front end components.

You'll be continuously chasing your tail if you can't replace all the worn parts at once. I spent $2k on the worn out front end on my truck. The previous owner let things get too loose and I had it all done at once to eliminate any clunks or issues that would affect alignment, which I was experiencing. if it wasn't my daily, I was highly contemplating just going for SAS. Not really something I felt I could complete in a weekend, even if it was just getting the axle mounted under the front end and steering working.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    moondeath[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 3, 2018 at 9:53 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    Maybe drive it for a while then coast to a stop using very little braking if possible. Jump out and reach in and see if one rotor is hotter than the other. We had a rear wheel bearing go out on my dad's truck years ago and I only noticed because we stopped out in the country so I could take a leak. I pissed on the back wheel and it sizzled.

Houston, we have a problem. You may not be able to tell a difference but it'd be worth a shot.

12. Feb 4, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Sadly the classic "If you turn left and the noise goes away then it is the right bearing that is bad" is not always true. There are two conditions that occur. Sometimes, depending on the failure type, a loaded bearing getting quiet is because when under load, the stress point shifts slightly, taking the contact points on the bearing and moving them to a position where the bearing is not worn excessively. Other times when the load is taken OFF the bearing, the fact of the load being removed will make the noise go away because the load is no longer on the failed area of the bearing.

The best tests that I recommend is to lift the front tires off the ground by the subframe. (NOT the lower control arms. You want the suspension to "hang" under load) and spin the wheels by hand. Listen for anything other than a quiet rotation. Any noise typically will be due to a bad bearing. Second test is the wiggle test. Grasp the tire at 12 and 6 and wiggle. If there is movement, then the bearing is bad. The reason you lift the truck by the subframe and NOT the lower control arm is that by lifting on the subframe, the suspension is under load. This prevents a ball joint from allowing movement.

bobsuruncle likes this.
  13. Feb 4, 2018 at 8:47 PM
    Berto_evans

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    Thanks everyone for your input it was definitely the driver side front wheel bearing. Got it changed out today.

stickyTaco likes this.
  14. Feb 5, 2018 at 6:48 AM
    beriman10

beriman10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Omar
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Fox 2.5 Suspension 2 in Lift
    Currently have the same problem as well. (bad wheel bearing) Other then the noise that occurs, does the vehicle get damaged if driven with the bad wheel bearing? Any other components get messed up?

15. Feb 5, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    Ricky B

Ricky B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    subed

16. Feb 7, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    Berto_evans

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    Beriman10 I guess it all the depends on exactly how bad it is... I would just change it out as soon as possible just because. I just bought the whole hub and bearing assembly so I didn't have to worry about pressing out or in the new bearing. It was pretty simple actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.. It took me about an hour and a 1/2 but if I did it again it would be about half that I think..

beriman10 likes this.
  17. Feb 7, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Sometimes the rotor will start to contact the caliper.

beriman10[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 7, 2018 at 10:38 PM
    Blandino

Blandino Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damien
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Tacoma
    Whistle Tip Exhaust
    Just press your own and replace them both for cheap. Don't have a press? Good time to build one with the money you save from a preassembled hub. If you plan on driving your truck you'll make that money back from the steel and jack costs in no time. Don't want a press taking up room? Improvise. You'll feel better about yourself afterwords.

[​IMG]

Berto_evans[OP] likes this.
  19. Feb 8, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    Blockhead

Blockhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2019 magnetic gray DCLB
    After 160,000 miles I had the left rear bearing go bad on me, thought it was the front bearing originally.

20. Feb 8, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    My bro has used a log splitter as a press for years, but it could not budge the bearing on his Tundra. He had to come to my place to use my 20-ton HB press. They're on sale all the time. It's best to invest the money to get the right tool the first time. Maybe go a little stronger or bigger; I could have gone with a 12-ton press but paid a little more for the 20-ton. Glad I did as i really doubt the 12-ton would have worked on the Tundra bearing. The press came in handy replacing bushings on LCA and even used it to press the cups on u-joints. And removing the wheel studs on the hub in one shot.

Products Discussed in

To Top