1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is Jiffy Lube Stupid ???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rocketball, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Apr 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    96Tacoma4x4

96Tacoma4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    96 xcab 4x4 LX stock
    32x11.50 and K&N filter drop in
    I got a Audi allroad and went to Advance Auto Parts and finally found a cabin filter for this car. Noticed all the filters on the rack ranged from $15.99-19.99 and very few in the $20 dollar range. I think I saw 1 filter for $30 something bucks. Anyway I grab the 1 and only filter for my car and take it to cash out....bam $41.99. You talk about total shock. I said are you sure about that, yes thats the correct price. Anyway I said no thanks. I could imagine what Jiffy Lube would have charged for this filter

2. Apr 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    I think I posted this somewhere before, but about a week after I bought my '09 back in December, I took it to Canadian Tire for some winter tires. When I go to pay the bill, the tech tells me that my breaks were 40% worn. I looked at the paper work, and realized that they thought I had said it was an '08, and they were using it's age to estimate break wear.

3. Apr 3, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Thank god I have experienced and honest mechanics that I can take my truck too.

4. Apr 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    tablesalt

tablesalt Tacoma Lover

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner, Double Cab TRD V6
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    Im willing to drive 30miles for a good mechanic. Plus, I finally but a K&N filter.

tablesalt

5. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I don't think JiffyLube is stupid as a whole. Its the wet behind the ears little boys they employee their at that their um JiffyLube. I had one kid who could not understand the concept of a 50,000 mile filter. He had to see the big pancake sized sticker that comes w/the new filter that is stuck right on top of the air filter box that basically sais stop. Do not throw away this filter..blah...blah...blah...and yet he tears it out and brings it in the waiting room saying I need a new one,where as that filter in his hands had been in the truck for only 9 days and all hwy miles on it.....WTF?

6. Apr 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none

they only objective is to sell you somthing! the fact that they preach 3 month 3,000 mile change interval originated from lube places like this. its all robbery to the uninformed! any vehicle these day can easily go at least 5-7k on an oil change it even says so in the owners manuel!

7. Apr 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    CLASSIC! OMG i cant stand thoes fuckin sharks they are worse than a used car lot! good greif!

8. Apr 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    I would stay away from Jiffy Lube. They do overcharge for unnecessary repairs. I have a roommate that likes taking her car over there and does whatever the mechanics tell her too. There is not reason why her car needs her tranny fluid changed at 15k miles!

9. Apr 4, 2009 at 11:12 PM
    stormyday

stormyday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morganton, NC
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco Double Cab Pre-Runner
    My steelership has an express oil change seperate from their service area. 10 minute change for $20-25... not bad for a steership. I paid for all of my maintenace when I bought my truck. I go to the regular service every 5K... usuall in and out in less than 30 minutes with a tire rotation every time.

Agreed!!!

I used to have a 90 Trooper and I took it to one of those quick lube places... I told them before they ever started do not put more than 4.7 quarts of oil in it. It was written in paint pen under the hood, on the block and on the fill cap. They come in 15 minutes later and tell me that they cannot get it started and that I need $300+ work done on it and a new carburetor. I told I know it does but they would not be doing it (Over 215K miles). They told me that they had to do it to get the truck running. I asked them how much oil they put in. They said their computer said 6.5 quarts and that is what they put. They argued with me. Finally I told them to drain it all and to only put 4.7 quarts into it... if it would not crank I would pay for 2 oil changes. They did it and it started just fine... I then asked them how the hell they were going to put a carburetor on my fuel injected engine. They had no answer. To top it all of... they did not even change the filter.

Products Discussed in

To Top