1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is Lasik Worth it?

Discussion in 'Health' started by jeremy_283, Jun 11, 2012.

?

Was Lasik surgery worth it?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2012.
  1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    92.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    The cornea heals. I rub my eyes occasionally (not bc of the surgery) and have zero issues. It's like my eyes never had anything done to them, besides the better vision obviously. Think about how easily that flap would get ripped off if it stayed didn't heal and stayed like that for the rest of your life. There's no way they would do a surgery like that if that were the case

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    banditdog

banditdog Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 V6 Double cab
    AFE Pro Dry Filter, Bilstein 5100's, Hellwig AAL, TonnoPro cover, pop 'n lock tailgate handle, gave those long ass mud flaps a trimmin'!!!!!!!!!
    I had Lasik done in 2005. My contact prescription was -12.00 both eyes before surgery so I was blind as hell & corneas already pretty thin. The day after surgery when they checked my eyes, I had slightly better than 20/20 vision, and I was told I could expect no better than 20/40. Now 7 years later I actually have 20/30 vision....but MUCH better than what I had!!!!

Now althought can be expensive, I have never regretted it!! But take my advice - do your research and choose a reputable doctor, don't base where you go on cost alone, your eyes are too precious to take chances with a "$299 per eye" special. We were kinda poor at the time, but my totally amazing fiancee (now my hubby) saw how I struggled with my vision and pulled some strings, put his ass on the line for me, and got the money for the surgery which was $4,000, done by one of the nation's best doctors. Included all aftercare appoinments and such.

Also, as many people also said, follow your aftercare instructions RELIGIOUSLY. This will help you have good longterm results. This doctor was amazing and accomplished for me what many doctors said couldnt be done with my eyes. Yes, there are chances that something may go wrong, but isnt that the truth with everything? Good luck to you.....:D

3. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I have been thinking about this for a long time. It sounds like the investment is well worth it, but I just don't want to spend the money... I have been on eye contact for a few years now, gets annoying taking them out and putting back in.

4. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    rondog

rondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    My dad is 53 and he has had glasses literally his whole life. He finally got this done about 6 months ago and he is loving it. I must say I am still getting use to seeing him without glasses.

I know one of his eyes healed slower than the other, I think that was the only con

5. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    What are the chances of your eyes not healing correctly have the procedure is done?

6. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    Oscarbob

Oscarbob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central New York
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB 4X4 OR, Pyrite Mica
    WeatherTec floormats and rainguards, Scanguage, LR UCA, 265/75/16 Duractrac's
    Got it done yesterday. Intralase lasik(bladeless). I'm already seeing better than what my previous prescription on my glasses were. So far it seems incredibly worth it

7. Jul 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    You guys are giving me a bit of confidence. I'm going to leave in a bit and go to my optometrist and see if he has time to talk about things. He's mentioned this before but I was too chicken. He has referrals.

8. Jul 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    I finally did it a couple years ago... wish I'd have done it earlier!

9. Jul 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    Superdavert

Superdavert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Athens, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SB
    MB Legacy wheels 285/70 17 BFG KO2s ProComp 2" leveling kit, Foglight anytime mod, Sockmonkey TRD Sport bedside decals, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Toyota bed extender, Aries black nerf bars, Pop & Lock
    I do not regret it at all. Been 20/20 to 20/15 for five years now. I had thin corneas, larger than normal pupil, astigmatisms, and 20/400 vision. I was scared to get it done after hearing the horror stories. But after meeting my wife, she's going on 10+ years, she talked me into it. Even if it goes bad now, it was worth it.

10. Jul 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    tacoma.nut

tacoma.nut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beeb
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRDsport,LB,4by4
    I live in Bellingham Wa. In 1990 I drove across the border to Surrey and had lasik done. It was the best thing I ever did. I went from coke bottle to 20/25. I use reading glasses but everyone does sooner or later. I did have halos at night for about a year, but with time they went away. I still would rather put up with halos at night than coke bottle vision. It was only 1200 bucks. I don't know what they charge now. Canada approved the procedure many years before the U.S. did. It was invented by a doctor in Venezuela. It is a safe procedure IMO and I would have it again. The surgeon was very empahitical about sunglasses. Buy only very good polarize sunglasses, not cheap ones. So my splurge are Maui Jim's. When u take them off your eyes feels like they just has a nice massage. Go for it.

11. Jul 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd

Well I went to the doctor, had an eye test, made an appt with a surgeon who I had spent this time researching, went for a consultation and found that I am not a candidate for Lasik.

But I am a candidate for lens implants. :eek:

And just when I was just starting to get over my fear of Lasik.

Back to point 1.....:(

12. Jul 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    ^ same for me :(

my sister just had the alternative to lasik it took her months of prep time and only a couple weeks to fully gain 20/20 vision which is awesome.

eye stuff just scares me to death though i don't know if i would have the balls to do it.

13. Jul 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Had mine done Feb 2011
    One of the best things I've done

14. Aug 4, 2012 at 3:06 AM
    juan01

juan01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Doublecab 4x4
    Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift Kit Light Racing LCAs
    That sucks, sorry to hear.

I had LASIK 3 years ago and it's the best money I've ever spent.

15. Aug 4, 2012 at 3:15 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    well i think i’m going to talk to the doctor soon. i have to go in anyways. about out of contacts. have not been in a year, or 1.5 years.

i think last time he said i would be fin to get it. my eyes have not really changed in hell idk how long. at least 4 or 5 years. they stay at 2.50 or 2.75.

16. Aug 4, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    dtmccray

dtmccray Well-Known Member

Member:
    millbrook alabama
    Vehicle:
    01 money pit
    d60 3link sas, bumpers, sliders, arb twin on board air comp w/11gal air tank,38.5/14.5r15 tsl sx swampers, rock 8 beadlocks, detroit rear, trutrac front.
    Had Lasik about a year ago and I reccomend it to everyone who asks me. You get a blur around lights at night for a while but it almost completely went away after a few months. The day after the surgery I hadbetter than 20/20 vision.

17. Aug 4, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    only draw back I have is your eyelids will droop a bit, other than that its still well worth it.

18. Oct 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    bump so that others that have had lasik done may put in their two cents. :)

I'm starting to really consider it, I guess I have to get on the ball and set up an appointment for a consultation.

19. Oct 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    x2. i’m really considering it! wait i’m set on it lol. i’ll prob go with you did both my brothers. also only down side i see is it will cut into mod money for the taco.:( but it will be worth it and prob last just as long or longer than the truck will. :D oh and i’m tired of glasses and contacts. i have had glasses for like 10 or 11 years i think... and contacts 9 or 10 years, i got contacts a year after glasses.

20. Oct 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    i just had PRK done on both eyes last month, about 3 weeks ago..

due to a thin cornea, PRK was my best option due to the risks associated with LASIK

recovery has been a bitch..day 3 i was on pain killers all day, in bed hating life...then day 4 was better but still on pain killers all day to help with the discomfort..then every day since it's been a constant improvement..

now i'm just dealing with the dry eyes that even LASIK patients have to deal with for the months after surgery..

PRK results do not come in clearly until some time after (1-3 months) so i am still dealing with slightly blurry vision, but the vision is still not bad...last time i was at the dr's i could make out the letters at the 20/15 line, they were just blurry but i could make out what they were through the blur..

Products Discussed in

To Top