1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

is my A/C compressor fried?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Breadman603, May 22, 2012.

1. May 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Breadman603

Breadman603 [OP] Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 4.0
    bed mat leer cap
    just washed and waxed her ...went for a cruise ,kicked on the A/C and it sounded like my belt was slipping and then my a/c light started flashing.....now when i turn it on i can hear the clutch kick on but the pully on the compressor never moves....is it fried? if so how much am i looking at for repairs?

2. May 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Are you sure you didn't just spill something on the serpentine belt and it's just sliding along the pulley instead of it being stuck?

3. May 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    Breadman603

Breadman603 [OP] Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 4.0
    bed mat leer cap
    didnt spill anything....i think the compreesor is seized up

4. May 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    i had pretty much the same thing happen, a local shop quoted about $1300 for the compressor and condensor, and they said possibly another $800 if the expansion valve was bad. If that light is blinking i think that means theres a problem with the compressor clutch not 100% on that though. I ended up buying a compressor for about $330 off of Amazon and replaced it myself i just sealed the lines for the 15 mins i had them off, and then took it to a local shop to evacuate a refill the system. It only took a couple hours. I would highly recommend it would save you alot of $$$. Unless the internals of the compressor went bad and theres metal shavings throughout your system. Then its up to if you want to replace everything. A guy on here just did it a few weeks ago.

5. May 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I made the mistake of turning on my a/c at 5000 rpm it completely ruined the whole system. The dealer compressor is $2300.

Sounds like you might be good on just getting a compressor and refill.

6. May 23, 2012 at 4:50 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You should be able to turn the center of the compressor clutch by hand, with the engine off. If not, it's either on its way out, or locked.

Products Discussed in

To Top