1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my clutch starting to go?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JManders, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Hmm, don't know about the rpms jumping after shifting, but you might want to crawl under your truck and yank on the u joints. If they feel loose that could be part of the problem. I just replaced mine and the symptoms where similiar.

If you let up off the gas does the vibration go away? For me I was getting more vibration when more torque was applied. I noticed it the most in 4th and 1st because of the way I was shifting.

2. May 9, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    JManders

JManders [OP] Assistant to the Regional Manager

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    Warn driving lights, Aries brush guard, tow package, removed mudflaps, Uniden CB radio, Firestik antenna, PA horn, deck plate mod, K&N air filter, blacked-out badges, Hella SuperTone horns, 20% tint all around, fog light mod
    It does go away after I left off the gas, the rpms go down and the engine seems to catch, almost the same as if I just took my foot off the clutch when shifting. I guess the best way to describe it is that as I'm just accelerating it acts as if I pushed the clutch in then let it go. As soon as I let the gas off and it catches it accelerates fine until I push down harder on the gas for more acceleration again.

3. May 9, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    ^100% sure the clutch is going. It basically cant hold the torque of the motor any more so it slips when you gas it.

4. May 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    Why ask the question twice?
    Better response with it being posted just once.

5. May 10, 2010 at 1:18 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    Warn driving lights, Aries brush guard, tow package, removed mudflaps, Uniden CB radio, Firestik antenna, PA horn, deck plate mod, K&N air filter, blacked-out badges, Hella SuperTone horns, 20% tint all around, fog light mod
    yeah i didn't realize i had posted it twice, definitely didn't meant that one.

6. May 10, 2010 at 1:27 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    yeah it seems to be getting worse the more I drive it. I know its gonna cost me a shitload but I'll be taking it in tomorrow. Thanks for all the helps guys

7. May 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    Expect right around $900 if you take it in.

8. May 10, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    Not true... Clutch slip and pedal / pressure plate force do not have to be related.

Shaking and dancing at start (take off) is a good sign of a stressed / overheated flywheel.

This can be done at any time in the trucks life. New drivers / Folks uncomfortabel with the clutch @ the boat ramp / Towing snatching stuff ect can over work a clutch and cause the friction disk pressure plate and flywheel to overheat. This trauma can damage a clutch for life. The abuse will causes heat and just like brake rotors a flywheel will develop hot spots of hardened metal. With excess heat they will warp and become untrue. This will cause a poor surface for the friction disk to grab. The plate then slips more creating more heat and amplifys this effect.

For repair the clutch (friction disk and pressure plate) will definatly need to be replaced, you might look into a NEW flywheel too. Turning the flywheel may help but if the cost (to turn it) is anywhere near 1/2 of a new flywheel I'd just replace it. You can't beat a new OE Toyota clutch pressure plate & flywheel just check all the guys with 200K + miles on theirs. Their are a few good name brand clutches similar in quality but their are very many low end clutches that I would not want installed in my truck.

9. May 10, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    Idrivetoys

Idrivetoys Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Yuma AZ
    Vehicle:
    I need a 4 door DC 4x4
    do the slave too

10. May 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    humtaco

humtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree with most folks it sounds like a worn clutch disk. One test you can do is keep the parking brake on and put it into any gear and let the clutch out. If you can let the clutch briefly all the way out while giving it some gas and the engine doesn't die the clutch plate is definitely slipping.

Pulling a transmission is relatively easy it's the putting it back in that can be challenging. Make sure to use an alignment tool for the disk.

11. May 10, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Brandon H Tacoma

Brandon H Tacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 2.7 tacoma 4x4
    2 inch. lift, brush gaurd, hella lights on the brush gaurd, cheap fog lights on the bumper, aluminum billet grill, after market aluminum wheels, 12 inch. 800 watt pyle sub, infinity 300 watt speakers, amps. for those, flip out sony head unit.
    i work at a toyota dealer and the best way to check and be sure of it is pull the e-brake and try taking off in first gear, if the rpms start to go up and you dont move up you need a new clutch, if it stalls in place then your clutch is good.

12. May 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    The hardest part is pulling the tranny... it's a two man job at least getting that dirty bastard out. No need to get another slave cylinder if yours is fine, that's just money wasted, also no need to get the flywheel resurfaced if there isn't any gouges or substantial wear. Just take it out when you do the pilot bearing and hit it with abrasive wheel to get the buildup off and scuff it up. I got my Stage two clutch kit at the parts house for $159 and spent a full day getting the job done. Relatively simple minus separating the tranny and engine.

13. May 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    how many miles are you guys getting out of a clutch? just curious.

14. May 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    A lot of people get 200k +. Im pretty sure im on the original at 160k but I bought the truck at 146k so who knows.

15. May 12, 2010 at 12:06 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    I think I'm still on my original, which puts me at just under 160k

16. May 12, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Clutch master & slave cylinder replacement :confused:

Try explaining that to the customer who just dropped $895 in clutch repair who comes back in 2 weeks later with a clutch Slave or Master issue... Been their and it sux...

I would not replace mine but I know I'm on borrowed time and understand what a new clutch with a bad master or slave feels like.

Also when I was making repairs for a living we replaced them as a set (Master / slave). Otherwise about 1 in 5 would come back with the older part giving up in short time. No one wants a come back ~ Custome or Mechanic...

17. May 12, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck

I recommend buying a performance clutch online or at a local shop and install yourself, its not all that hard.

I just replaced mine about 3,000 miles ago. My dad and I did it, and all you need are good tools. The shop wanted $800 - $900. So i saved a good $600- $700 bucks, plus you get to know your truck inside and out.

I would PB Blast all of the bolts, so that it's a bit easier.

Good luck!

18. May 12, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    quattrokiwi

quattrokiwi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma, Limited, TRD, Locked, Geared, 4x4
    I would just replace the flywheel, i did when i did mine. I used a sachs kit. The flywheel was only about $70.

19. May 12, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    sachs is a good brand...

I found when rock crawling some of the performance clutches are a little grabby with very little on off transition.

20. May 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    sounds like its going out same thing happened with my truck 2 years ago and i didn't have time to change it my self with college and all so i had to pay 800$ to have it done... if your mechanical you should do it your self and save your self 500$ for labor

Products Discussed in

To Top