1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my engine in trouble?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by YotaNegro, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Feb 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    YotaNegro

YotaNegro [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I bought this truck a couple of months ago. Was cleaning it up real good when I found signs of mud in the airbox, behind the filter, and in the intake tube. I cleaned everything up the best I could and put a new filter in. How bad is this? What should I do?

iphone 2-12 310.jpg
    iphone 2-12 311.jpg
    iphone 2-12 312.jpg
    iphone 2-12 315.jpg
    iphone 2-12 316.jpg
    iphone 2-12 317.jpg

2. Feb 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Looks like the previous owner got stuck in a mud hole and sucked some into the intake. Just clean everything the best you can all the way to the Throttle body. I personally wouldn't spray anything into the intake in an attempt to clean it in fear of breaking some crud loose to get into the engine. If you want the intake clean, your best bet is to remove it to clean, and replace gaskets and injector O-rings. Also check your diff fluids, he may have sucked water into them as well. How's your engine oil look?

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    Our trucks must be related. Mine was about the same, to a little worse ....
    think god it has been a "warm" winter up here so I have had the ability to take stuff apart, wash it in the tub, since I dont have a garage or yard.
    Got mine at the end of Nov. it came from a ranch near Ft. Worth I think... they told me it was dirty, ran good but just dirty, and it was.... but its been worth it so far. and i am still cleaning. Just search on here, there is good instructions for just about everything you will need to do.

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    YotaNegro

YotaNegro [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I took everything on and cleaned it with degreaser and a brush. Took a long time but its clean now. I am just worried about any water or dirt that may have made its way into engine. Rest of the fluids are good. Should I be worried about the motor?

5. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Get some motor flush, 2 oil filter and enough oil for two oil changes. Change oil with new filter, drive for a day, then put in motor flush and follow directions on bottle, change filter and oil, drive for another day, and change filter and oil. If there is anything in your engine, this will get it out.

6. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!

Not a fan of flush fluids, I would change the oil and filter a couple of times though.
    Be sure to change the fluids in the differential, I would consider changing the trans fluids too.

7. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    YotaNegro

YotaNegro [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Why not a fan of the flushes?

8. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    A lot of people believe it releases things that then get stuck in other small spots = bad

Then overheating or other issues

9. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well no opinion on flushes, i do the seafoam, and there are tons of post here on that so look it up and lets just leave that one alone.... but if its running now and it seems to run fine, then it should be ok. I would think if it had swallowed water and dirt it would be running like a sick whore, Toyota builts a solid truck.... just clean, like the others said, change ALL the fluids and try to give the truck a fresh start like it was new.

10. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    ^^^this

11. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    YotaNegro

YotaNegro [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 SR5 TRD
    So just a couple of oil changes in a few days and I should be good to go or should I do any other preventative maintance? Would this be a reliable truck to keep for a long time or should I not expect long life and long trips out of this one? It's got 130000 miles now.

12. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    I hydrolocked my truck the other day :eek: ...... But I got it running after I got towed to a house for some tools, toyota engines are tough, I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure to clean it good :D

13. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    I would change the oil once after 100 miles then use synthetic. JMHO

I would expect it to still be a Toyota :thumbsup: (so be just fine)

EDIT: I would also change the diff fluids and trans as well

14. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    As mentioned above, I'd look into changing the differential and transmission fluids also. If the truck was stuck in a deep mud or water hole, it could have gotten water in the differentials and/or the transmission through the breathers. If it's not displaying signs of acting up, I wouldn't be concerned with any long term affects.

15. Feb 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    mine has 177,000 on her, and only 2500, are mine. so far she has not used any oil, it was full but black when she rolled off the truck, that was the first thing i did, tag was second, but in one way these truck in terms of miles are babies.
    There are people who are putting 500,000 to 1,000,000.00 on these trucks.
    My ol man is on his 4th toyota truck since 1981 and he only really trades because he "likes the way those new toyota trucks look!

16. Feb 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    YotaNegro

YotaNegro [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I am going to be able to use this one as an expedition style rig as planned. Glad I have a good place to go for solid advice.

Products Discussed in

To Top