1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is now the best time to buy a 2009 Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wordisbarn, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Dec 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 Professional High Fiver

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    OEM skid plate. 3" Toytec lift with AAL. Trail Gear Rock Sliders Rechargable Maglite

:eek: I can't believe the patience with this guy. You can wait a year? Really? Go test drive one and get back to me about that whole wait a year thing.

2. Dec 10, 2008 at 11:36 PM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    You trying to set him up? We shopped for months & covered three states before we made the deal we wanted. I don't see prices going down a lot on Toys anyway. They have always held their value. But, you do get a better deal when new models come out & dealers want to get rid of old stock. So, you would want an 08 now & a 09 next year, just gotta find one.

3. Dec 10, 2008 at 11:41 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    For the options it'll usually be cheaper to buy outside the dealership. However, you can use it as a bargaining chip if they won't budge on a price. So say you're within $500-1000 of what you think you should pay. Have them throw in the accessories you want instead. They pay much less than retail for those things so it's not as much out of their pocket so they might be willing to do it. Research what you want first though. You don't want to offset more than you'd pay aftermarket (e.g. don't let them talk you into "$1000" steps when they can be bought aftermarket for $200-$300). I'd estimate about $500 for steps and mats (if the mats of the quality of the Husky or Weathertech liners).

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Dec 10, 2008 at 11:44 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    If you wait a year, prices will probably go up. And when the economy turns around deals may not be as good as they are now. Toyota never offers 0% financing(I can't remember ever seeing it).

As for sleazy salesmen. They are going to act like they are your best friend & are trying to help you. They are going to give you crap like "I'm trying to get you the best deal, but my manager won't budge". "Or it is only $20 more a month", Well if it is only, then you come down the $20 bucks. Don't believe anything the salesman tells you. Their number 1 goal is to make the most money they can from you. Do not finance through the dealer unless you get the 0% deal. If you do finance through the dealer, go to bankrate.com & put in the numbers & make sure they didn't mess with the numbers & you pay more than you should. I once found a dealer that wrote up the paperwork & didn't put the interest rate in correctly. It would have cost me about $5,000 if I didn't catch it. I got into a huge argument with them over it. They said this is how they always did it. I proved they were wrong. Then they got all nicey & said Oh it was an honest mistake. I walked & didn't buy from them.

To make it easy & get the best possible deal, I highly recommend using a FREE car buying service. This will keep you from getting screwed. Carsdirect.com is excellent, I have used them before. They will pit dealers against each other. If you aren't happy with the deal they find you. Then no problem, you can tell them no thanks & owe nothing. Some car buying service charge $250 & up(you pay whether or not you are happy with the deal). Stay away from these. Recently I used carsdirect for an 09 DC. I was getting it at $2k below invoice due to a $2k rebate. But they wouldn't come close on my trade of my 05 Tacoma DC.

Always be prepared to walk away. Don't get bullied into something you aren't completely happy with. You can always go to another dealer. And always sleep on the deal, no impulse buying. If they give you crap like, "the deal won't be here tommorrow" that is complete BS.

And as other members say: pit dealers against each other!

5. Dec 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    You can't wait until Dec to look for previous year models. The time to get those vehicles is Aug & Sept, when the new year models are out.

6. Dec 11, 2008 at 6:07 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    Go for it. I bought my first Toyota Taco Access cab in October. It rides as smooth as any vehicle I have ever owned. I get a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Take a look at "0" financing for 36 months. Use their money and keep yours in the bank. Toyota Financial Services is top notch. I have my payments auto deducted from my checking account. You do not get charged any fees for using the zero percent. I walked out after 20 minutes and drove my Taco home.

7. Dec 11, 2008 at 8:20 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    I got mine in Oct. as well w/ 2.9% for 60 months. You can get $1,000 cash back, but the better interest rate was the best option for me.

I bought mine for about 2k off of the price you see online. I would try for more if you don't have a trade. Also, do all your quotes online before even walking into the dealership.

8. Dec 11, 2008 at 8:26 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    You should go in after Christmas. I bet you could practically steal a Taco then.

9. Dec 11, 2008 at 8:35 AM
    crawfishsoul

crawfishsoul Look at my member

Member:
    Removed front mud flaps.
    My wife just got an email last night saying Toyota has a $3000 rebate on Tacos right now. I don't know what model though.

10. Dec 11, 2008 at 8:49 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    they probably are only on the 2008s if I had to guess. I think when I was buying mine they had that for the previous year and 1500 for the current year.

11. Dec 11, 2008 at 8:54 AM
    crawfishsoul

crawfishsoul Look at my member

Member:
    Removed front mud flaps.
    You're probably right. When we were buying ours the dealer only had 3 08s still on their lot and no 08 4x4s.

I do know the 09s had $500 rebate 1 1/2 weeks ago so a jump to $3000 sounds more like for the 08s. (At least that's what I'm going to believe. Another $2500 off my truck would have been nice.) :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top