1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is paint coating worth it?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Venom, May 23, 2020.

1. May 28, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    Venom

Venom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    My first polisher was a Dewalt rotary, using those big 3M wool pads at the Toyota dealership.

How the Boss pads holding up?

Have you tried any microfiber pads yet?

My Buff and Shine pads are holding up better than my Lake Country.

Which rotary you ended up going with?

I been thinking about buying a small rotary for small pads. Full size rotary with small pads become cumbersome.

I wouldn't say the DA is idiot proof. I read people getting to close to the body panel edge and burn through paint or holding to long in 1 spot.

This should be most detailers goal "keeping each section as consistent as the first" but it's not.

With my friends they are to lazy to teach them anything. They expect me to do everything.

I read the same. It's easier for the orbital DA polisher to rotate the smaller pads.

Did you notice any more vibrations when switching to a smaller backing plate and pads?

2. May 28, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I have to go through my pads to separate the good from the bad. Then buy more if needed.

Which brand of pads are your favorite?

kmorgan3 likes this.
  3. May 28, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I picked up several Adam's Polishes waffle type pads from Detailers Domain back in 2016 for around $6 a pad if I remember correctly. They are made by someone else (Buff and Shine maybe). I am not sure what brand I will go with next but I am going to need some soon as my current pads seem to be drying out and the foam starting to degrade.

Venom[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. May 28, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Fine, but it's not like I've used them more than 4-5 times. I do have some B&S Uro fiber 50/50 ones but haven't done a whole vehicle with them yet.

Whatever the Flex one is, and small is realative it's pretty much the same size as the GG6.

No but it's not like I'm running it long since it's just there to fit into a tighter space. I usually keep a stiffer pad on it than what is on the G15 just to have something with a little more bite.

Venom[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. May 29, 2020 at 5:43 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I now have to wait until shipping get back to normal before ordering anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top