1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is that your final answer? ( My decision...I think )

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 2007tacoOldLineSt, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Nov 18, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    2007tacoOldLineSt

2007tacoOldLineSt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok...first, sorry for the lame "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" reference.

Second, my first post regarding my lift decisions/thoughts/considerations got zero response, so I am going to go ahead and post what I think will be my final decision.

For the front, I am going pre-assembled adjustable coilover. I like the idea of adjusting without total removal ( hopefully, I have come across a few stories on here ), adjusting for future weight ( front bumper ), and the fact they are "re-buildable". Currently, I am between the radflo's and the 2" swa's. If anyone has any opinions on either it would be appreciated.

For the rear, I currently have a set of supersprings which has given me around an inch of lift. So, I am thinking I will go with a one inch aluminum block kit. I considered the pre-assembled leaf packs and aal's, but since I already invested in the springs and from what I have read, the rear block is not nearly as bad an idea as a front spacer. I think I am comfortable running with it. Maybe a nice new leaf pack in the future, but for now I think it will do fine.

Also, rear bilsteins and I am considering a brake line extension. Not sure if this is necessary for a 2-3" lift, I have been reading mixed opinions here and on other sites.

And a diff drop kit, its cheap, and again, mixed opinions...but for 30 smackers, why not.

I currently only hit the trails for hunting, but I'd like to push a bit harder ( no rock crawling ) just some rougher trails, "overland/expedition" type stuff. What some of you guys do off road amazes me, but this being my dd and "work" truck keeps me from getting to crazy.

Ok, any opinions would be great, thanks!

2. Nov 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 V6, manual, 201k
    Small lift and a topper!
    Do it!

Just realize that the blocks will wear your springs out likity split, especially if this is a work truck and you put stuff in the bed. You can do it with the block for now, but start saving your pennies for a real leaf pack sometime in the future.

SAWs and Radflos are both good, I don't have a specific recommendation there.

On vibration fixing products like axle shims, diff drops, carrier bearing drops, etc., my advice would be to wait and see if you have any problems before putting them on. Sometimes they are problem solvers, sometimes problem causers.

Also, do your lift one part at a time to make sure any new vibrations can be more easily isolated. I did my front, then rear, then adjusted the front to match the rear (2.25" of lift, in the end). Then drive for 100 miles to let it settle, and get a good alignment.

I would recommend the brake line extension, after my lift my rear brake line gets stretched pretty far when flexing (especially on the driver side). It is fine for the moment, but I've got a new line that I'll be putting on soon when I do the rear brakes - would hate to have that thing rip while off in the backwoods somewhere!

And have fun! I'm really enjoying my truck more since adding the lift and getting it all sorted out.

-Sam

3. Nov 18, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    2007tacoOldLineSt

2007tacoOldLineSt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Never thought about doing it one part at a time. Thats sound advice.

Also never thought about the blocks wearing my springs out faster. Could you elaborate? I am a "tell me again like I am a five year old" kinda' guy. I ask lots of questions...not because I am dumb ( well, maybe a little ), but mostly because I am interested in really getting a grasp on things.

I am again reconsidering now! Maybe I should go leaf pack ( since my truck is "used" often ), with bilsteins up front, than get to the high end coilovers later....

I love this stuff...

4. Nov 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 V6, manual, 201k
    Small lift and a topper!
    No, stop second guessing yourself! The rebuildable coilovers are a fine way to go. If you want to save a few bucks, shop used, they come up fairly regularly.

The blocks aren't horrible or anything, but they put more leverage on the springs, and can occasionally contribute to axle-wrap (tendency for the front part of the spring to bend down while the back bends up, making an S shape that feels like someone rearended you when it pops back to normal) or accelerated wear. But not immediately or anything. I still think you should just go with what works for now (blocks are cheap and easy), and then plan on saving up for a leaf pack with a little time. That will give you some time to decide how high of a lift you want on the back, and research the spring options.

-Sam

Products Discussed in

To Top