1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the Brake Controller Plug Hot?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by JackieE, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Apr 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    JackieE

JackieE [OP] New Member

Member:
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I've read the other posts, so I must have missed the answer I am looking for, or I am just dense... so here goes.
    On a 2007 Tacoma, Non Tow package with factory installed hitch and 4-pin lighting harness, is the brake controller plug behind the kick panel hot?
    I have a P3 controller and the wiring harness for it ordered. When it comes in and I plug it into the truck's wiring, will it be powered?
    Final question. Where does the blue wire (that is for the trailer brakes) go when it comes out of the brake controller plug? Where can I find it to splice in my wire for the 7-pin plug at the back of the truck.....
    Thanks in advance

2. Apr 28, 2009 at 3:03 AM
    JackieE

JackieE [OP] New Member

Member:
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I will answer part of my own question... On the Non Tow package vehicles, the brake controller plug is not hot. Apparently the wiriing goes into the fuze panel in the engine compartment, but the wiring deadends at that point.

3. Apr 28, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    You can pick-up the brake output signal from there with a quick splice, I forget which color wire it is, but you will have to run positive from the battery, output from the controller to the 7 pin plug and ground all from scratch, as multiple e-mails, voltage checks, and fuse box searches between myself and another member with the same questions yielded no plug and play solution for this. I do cover the install of a brake controller on a non-tow package equiped truck in the towing bible.

Regards,

Adam

4. Apr 29, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    JackieE

JackieE [OP] New Member

Member:
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Thanks, As you stated, I was looking for a "plug and Play" solution... Oh, well...
    Thanks for the solution in the Towing Bible. I appreciate the work you put into the solution.

Jackie

To Top