1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the Confederate flag a symbol of racism?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NraFan, Jun 2, 2010.

?

Is the Confederate flag racist?

Poll closed Jul 2, 2010.
  1. Yes. Always has been, always will be.

61 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. No! Read a history book.

288 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Yes. Not in it's origins, but in todays world it is

151 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. No. People be hatin'!!

57 vote(s)
    10.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    My friend who got me the white flour t has that same one and she wares it all the time, and no one says anything

2. Jun 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    BigBawlzTaco

BigBawlzTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma SR
    Heritage not hate. I love the rebel flag, Im asian yeah, but Im sure as hell glad I was born and raised here in good ole' georgia.

3. Jun 2, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    Bretsuaz48

Bretsuaz48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport
    They may not say anything, but I am sure they think it. She sounds real classy.

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:01 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    People who are offended at the mere sight of this flag are ignorant idiot racists themselves and are just looking for anything to incite others and keep racism alive. RACE MEANS GO REAL FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......and yes, there are flags involved with racing. They are just informational.

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    High-Gear

High-Gear Zombie Killer

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, DR / Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg UCA, TSB with AAL, Walker Evans 2.0 reservoir rear shocks, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt 10K Comp Winch, ARE Camper Shell, Con-Ferr Safari Rack, 4 KC Highlights on rack, 2 KC Rallye 800 on Bumper Armortech Off Road plate rear bumper. Firestone Airbags in rear, with Firestone compressor.
    If we are to associate the Confederate Flag with racism and slavery, we would also have to associate the Crucifix with racism and slavery. Many southern Christian Preachers used the bible and its instruction on how to keep slaves as their warrant for doing such in the south. "What was endorsed in the old testament, and not prohibited in the new can not be a sin." was one of the slogans of the time.

I grew up in New York, and moved to Alabama in the 7th grade. We studied the War of Northern Aggression in the 8th grade and had a black teacher. She was adamant that the southern states had a fundamental right to succeed and had lawfully created a sovereign nation which was invaded by the Union. The flag represents that.

To say the war was about ending slavery is a misnomer. Sure there were people who had that on their mind, but all one has to do is read the Emancipation Proclamation. This document did not free slaves, and gave the southern states a chance to keep their slaves if they sent representatives to congress within a certain amount of time. In effect "If you come back to the Union you can keep your slaves, but if you keep fighting we will free them!" So much for the great emancipator myth!

6. Jun 3, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    lol...I think you're a bit confused...but that's all right
    isn't Forsyth the Klan capital..??

having grown up in the south, not far from Forsyth, I've seen what heritage is. I've also had the opportunity to see other parts of the country. As far as Georgia is concerned, its a heritage thing and everyone is involved...in Virginia, it's a whole other vibe. It's almost as if there is a tension associated with the flag and it seems only those who aren't affluent claim to have heritage. There is a deep historical presence here in Virginia although its more of a new colony thing vs northerner or southerner. I might be off base but its the way I see it.

7. Jun 3, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts

More in her little finger then you got in your whole body...

8. Jun 3, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    umad bro..??

9. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    If the doughboy had no nazi symbols and no mustache and wasn't doing the stupid salute but had his fist in the air then maybe the shirt could be funny but still marginally inciteful to some. hitler and obama are a lot of things.........funny isn't one of them. PC is the worst joke phrase of the century, c'mon, politically correct? That hasn't made sense in forever nor does it now, especially now. As soon as I hear that phrase my response is FUCK OFF! Politically correct = totally INcorrect corrupt criminal scam artist double talkin hippocrit bullshit.

10. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    dogbite

dogbite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    The meaning of a symbol is in the eye of the beholder.

My interpretation of history is that both the flag and the civil war were not about slavery. At least initially.

However, both have become about slavery in many people's eyes. Which means that's how that symbol can be interpreted.

You use symbols at your own peril as you don't control anyone's intepretation of them.

11. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I think he was just goofing around when he posted that,not to betaken too seriously,everybody needs to lighten up on what Race you are,I noticed that if your a minority its OK to sound off with pride about your background but if your White and say Im proud to be White it automatically offends certain people in the case of White Power you can over react,but when Black Panthers or Black Muslims speak out on the oppression of the White Devils they get appaulse and standing room only events from the same victims.

12. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    It's not how you perceive the message, it's how others perceive it that matter. If the issues of racism so severely cloud the message you desire...why force it?

I think, if in need of a symbol of opposition the Gadsden flag say's it far more clearly and far more appropriately with far more power anyway.

13. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    blake1012

blake1012 Go Braves!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.
    8000k HID's, Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners, Rhino Lined bed, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart wheels, bull bar, step rails, Redline Tuning hood struts, low profile tool box
    I , at one time had the confederate flag as part of my signature. To several people on here, I was automatically labeled a rascist. It pisses me off that I can't show support of something without being labeled. Even when people know absolutely nothing about me. It's bullshit.

People will always find something to bitch and complain about.

14. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    I don't think that in the beginning the flag was a symbol of racism, but has evolved to be one today, IMO. The flag started out as a symbol of unity for the southern states that were in favor of seceding from the US based on the fight for state rights for individuals to own slaves. So if the confederate flag represents the southern states history of where they have been, that place in history was on the side of fighting for their rights to own slaves which is a racist. As for other symbols representing racism, sure there are many, the one in discussion at this point is the confederate flag.
    http://www.history.rochester.edu/class/douglass/part4.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

15. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    EEtaco

EEtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    Agreed 100%.

16. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    The south was fighting for their way of life. Kinda like we may have to do in the future.

http://12angrymen.wordpress.com/2007/05/01/the-true-meaning-of-the-confederate-flag/
    "The false notion that the Battle Flag must be a racist symbol is born of the mistaken belief that the Civil War was about slavery. This bit of propaganda has been repeated ever since President Lincoln and his political allies decided to “free the slaves” (in actuality Lincoln only freed those slaves in the Confederacy, slaves in Union states such as Maryland and West Virginia remained slaves). The truth, however, is plain to anyone who wishes to delve into the history, and the proof lies in the proposed Corwin Amendment of 1861. This amendment was proposed by Congressman Thomas Corwin (R) from Ohio and stated,
    No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State."

I see no reason the flag should be banned here on this site. The truth is here on the site and in history books. I have 1 in my living room, if you feel its racial I suggest you go to this link and see what it is. Yet another example of how the constitution was left at the wayside.

17. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Quote:
    Victory for the North meant the end of the Confederacy and of slavery in the United States, and strengthened the role of the federal government. The social, political, economic and racial issues of the war decisively shaped the reconstruction era that lasted to 1877.
    Victory for the North meant the end of the Confederacy and of slavery in the United States, and strengthened the role of the federal government. The social, political, economic and racial issues of the war decisively shaped the reconstruction era that lasted to 1877.

Not true the north kept their slaves.

18. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2967.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

19. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.

Funny how the Northerners still want to control the South. Now, they just do it with their masses. Kinda like a pack of rats.

Many would surely fly the flag to show their independence from the pack as well as their pride. Unfortunately, the negative connotations won't allow this in most cases.

We bow to your pressures.

20. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Just wait for Cap and Tax! :eek: