1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the Confederate flag a symbol of racism?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NraFan, Jun 2, 2010.

?

Is the Confederate flag racist?

Poll closed Jul 2, 2010.
  1. Yes. Always has been, always will be.

61 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. No! Read a history book.

288 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Yes. Not in it's origins, but in todays world it is

151 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. No. People be hatin'!!

57 vote(s)
    10.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 13, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Great flag! Not many can be offended by it because they don't care to learn about it.
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Frederick County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 lug single cab
    You seem to be under the illusion that racism is a southern thing. The north wasn't much better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregation_in_the_United_States#In_the_North

3. Jun 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    OlyTacoma173

OlyTacoma173 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab TRD 4x4
    LineX Spray-in bedliner, deckplate mod, K&N High-flow filter, Camburg Coilovers and UCAs, Alcan leaf-pack, Elite plate bumper
    I am not at all under this illusion, and very aware that racism was rampant in nearly all parts of America. However, Jim Crow was a purely Southern phenomena and the fact that nearly all Southern legislators voted against the Civil Rights act and nearly all Northern legislators voted in favor speaks volumes about the importance each region placed on advancing the cause of racial equality.

4. Jun 14, 2010 at 3:45 AM
    rob_s

rob_s Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    You need to put those things in context, both historically and demographically.

5. Jun 14, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    OlyTacoma173

OlyTacoma173 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab TRD 4x4
    LineX Spray-in bedliner, deckplate mod, K&N High-flow filter, Camburg Coilovers and UCAs, Alcan leaf-pack, Elite plate bumper
    This statement implies that the history or demographics of the era could somehow exonerate the politicians of the day for their fierce opposition to civil rights legislation, which simply isn't the case. It was as wrong to be a racist in 1964 as it is in 2010, no matter how socially acceptable it was. There is no context which would justify state-mandated segregation.

6. Jun 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    Its now reverse Racism against especially White Males who are or were the supposed oppresors of the Minoritys,you can easily see this discrimination on TV/Cable where White Males are portrayed as Fat,Wimpy,Dorky Goofballs,effeminate,Geeks and all the Minoritys are portrayed as Cool,Hip,Masculine,Smart,Atheletic people,just turn on your TV and look at the first commercial you see,I know that youve seen them and know what Im talking about. Its a free fire zone on White Males in this country we cant cry Racism,also I want to state that I have ancestors who fought for the Union side and my family never owned a slave in fact THEY were Indentured servants when arriving in the US,Im tired of this crap the main stream medias portrayal of American White Men,its Fing an embarassment to me. I say "F"em and fly the Stars and Bars I guess thats a Racist statement Too,to Fing bad.

7. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    ^ Amen

No read a History book, It's become a racist symbol because of a few idiots who ruined it for everyone else. Its a symbol of heritage and where you come from. I dont see the big deal with it honestly, i see mexican, canadian, and african flags and dont become offended why should they?

8. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    i like the gasden flag [​IMG]
    this is 19th century badassery at its finest

9. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    96er

96er Sport Rally'er

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma XCab 4x4 SR5
    There's also nothing wrong with being proud to be white.

10. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    Tell that to the Movie/TV producers who are portraying White Man as I stated above,as a White Male I get very offended by these sterotypes,If you say your proud to be White in this country they will crucify you as the second coming of Adolf Hitler we all know this,and the Minorities love to see us Cringe:boink: when they start with the your a Bigot,Racist accusations(White politicians especially)thank goodness Arizona stopped all that BS and did the right thing. I say fly the Stars and Bars and fly it proudly.

11. Jun 17, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    Deleted.. I don't care anymore.

12. Jun 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    this thread still lives . fuckin bleeding a turnip aint we. lol

13. Jun 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Nope, just another part of our history.

14. Jun 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
  15. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:16 AM
    KDEpic

KDEpic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KD
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Racism is all in perception. Unfortunately when you're the victim of racism you get all this sympathy and pity and handouts and you immediately crucify whoever you accuse of being a racist so, yes, minorities enjoy playing the race card.

It's clear whose rights are being infringed upon. We can't have Christmas Trees, we have Holiday Trees. If I made a "White Males of America" club I'd die. If I made a "National Association for the Advancement of White People" I'd fry. Hell if I made the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People I'd fry to, for calling them colored! It's a lose-lose give it up, all these whiney politically correct bitches won't stop until they find themselves on my end of things and find out what racism really is.

One of my good friends said he was voting for Obama because he was black (friend's black)

What if I said I was NOT voting for Obama because he was black.

Two racists, but only one who could be fired for it -- the white guy.

For the record I voted for the best candidate, I knew Obama would flake out and do horrible things to this country. I had plenty of reasons not to vote for him that race, looks, mudslinging, secrecy, etc. didn't have any play. It was just issues.

Turns out McCain flaked without even being president so I guess there was, yet another, presidential race without a great candidate.

But that's another story, fact of the matter is if you're white, you're a racist. Doesn't matter if you're like me and could give a damn what color someone is, you're a racist because somebody else wants to say you are.

Everyone just go listen to Wear Sunscreen, and it'll be all alright. Goodnight.

16. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Georgia is all about our civil war history. From the battle flag to the redesigned pre battle flag to replace the battle flag.
    The flag on the left is our current flag Its a redesign of the flag on the right. The battle flag was taken down and replaced with a very ugly flag to keep the peace with those who cried racism. They redesigned the flag before the battle flag and now both sides are some what happy. Its not racism to me since I had ancestors who fought in the civil war. It wasn't the confederate flag on the ships that transported slaves.

georgia_flag.jpg
    old-georgia.jpg
    us-ga20.gif

17. Jun 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    :rimshot:

18. Jun 24, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    This country has gone absolutely mad.

19. Jun 24, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    The short answer to this is no. THe long answer to this is yes.

Draw your own conclusions as to what that means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top