1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the dealership retarded?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lundy, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Mar 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    lundy

lundy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    Simple answer, yes. But let me know what think about my situation.

My Truck Mods: Toytec front springs, TSB rear (2010 Double Cab 4x4)

Been having a vibration ever since I got the TSB done. Mind you I had the Toytec's before the TSB was done to the rear (with no vibrations). The conclusion the dealer came to was I need a carrier bearing drop. Charged me $100 for diagnosis and told me I need to order it from Toytec.

When I picked up the truck I told the adviser that I shouldn't have to pay for anything if my driveshaft angle is the issue and needs to be lowered via a CB drop. He argued with me for 20 minutes about how my "lift kit" is causing this. I told him numerous times that I didn't have a "lift kit", but that I had only changed front springs (toytec). And if my rear drive shaft angle is off it's due to the TSB.

What do you guys think?

2. Mar 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did the toytec springs raise your front end much? While it is possible that the tsb + the toytec springs could cause the vibes, these tacomas are plagued by vibrations and there are 4 or 5 different fixes out there. So dont be surprised if the carrier bearing drop doesnt fix it. Look around at some of tge vibe threads if you havent already. As for your question, i would argue it saying that there were no vibes prior to the tsb and vibes after the tsb when it was the only thing that changed.

3. Mar 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The TSB leafs could throw your driveline angles out of whack creating a vibration , a CB drop may help or axle shims

As above , check out the numerous driveline vibration threads for info

4. Mar 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    codyb1

codyb1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    Toytec Boss Coilovers set at 3" with AAL's,Toytec Boss Rear shocks, LR UCA's, Swaybar Relocate, Diff Drop, 265/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 17" KMC wheels, K&N, Limo Tint, 4.7" Shorty Antenna
    They are going to put as much blame on the lift they can... They don't want to pay for anything they don't have too.

5. Mar 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    On the contrary, the dealer doesn't pay for warranty work, but in fact, gets paid for it.

6. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    codyb1

codyb1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    Toytec Boss Coilovers set at 3" with AAL's,Toytec Boss Rear shocks, LR UCA's, Swaybar Relocate, Diff Drop, 265/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 17" KMC wheels, K&N, Limo Tint, 4.7" Shorty Antenna
    Why do they give us so much shit when we lift our trucks?? Seems like it's the blame game...
    Me - I feel a vibration in the front end.
    Dealer -(After they got done looking at it) Must be your lift with the bigger tires.. WOW!
    They said they took it on a 4 mile loop.. Got back in my truck and it had .2 miles on it. Ya good job dealer..

7. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    lundy

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    I've had plenty of different vibes. Had the diff vibe, dealer replaced the front diff. It wasn't until the rear TSB was done that I got the new vibe. My issue is they're blaming my front springs as being the cause of my rear drive shaft angle being off. I've such bad luck with my truck ever since lifting it. Less than 6 months with nearly 6 or 7 dealer visits.

8. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's hard to say. Anything anyone offers here is just conjecture. Without hard data and facts, you cannot say for certain either way.

Is this a warranty claim? I am sure you know about the law, however. It is on the dealer to prove beyond any doubt that the mod caused the issue.

As far as lifts and other mods like yours having adverse effects on drivetrains and other components, it will depend on whom you talk to. Most people who get lifts or mods and those who install them will side with the person who has the mod. Those with no stake in it will tell you it is ridiculous to believe lifts and suspension/spring mods don't effect other components over time. Who you choose to believe is up to you but most people who ask the questions you are, probably are looking for what they want to hear and that reinforce their opinion. Opposing views are usually ignored or brushed off.

My opinion is that lifts and mods can and often do have adverse effects over time and can cause premature wear. How much effect depends on the lift amount, tires, adjustments made to compensate, and the quality of the components used.

But that is just my opinion and you probably don't want to hear it and I am not saying it is a fact that your mod caused the trouble. I have no idea. Opinions here won't help you resolve the matter to your liking. Toyota isnt going to care what someone on a forum said about the issue.

So, if this is a warranty claim issue, I would just file a claim with Toyota and remind them it is on them to prove the damage was caused by the mod. If they can, you have no alternative route. If they can't, you win.

9. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    lundy

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    It is. Already started a case with Toyota Corp. And my main concern is how do front springs cause a rear drive shaft issue? I haven't done anything after market to the rear so why should I buy an aftermarket part to cure my vibration?

10. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Put the stock coils back on and see if it still viberates. If not, then it's the Toytecs. If it does, it's the tsb and they should take care of it.

11. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    lundy

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    I'd rather not spend the time or money. It didn't vibrate pre TSB

12. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    ^ This. It most likely does have something to do with the springs. Anytime you change the stock height, your bound to run into vib issues. It's just part of the game.

13. Mar 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:

I don't mean to be a dick about it but what I am saying is, I don't know, nor can anyone else here, without seeing the truck for themselves and breaking out the components and looking at signs of wear or testing components. It's impossible to diagnose it just from the info you supplied. Vibrations and the things you are reporting can be caused by lots of things.

Keep in mind that the guys in the Toyota garage doing the work could care less if Toyota has to eat the warranty claim. They aren't trying to save money. They just want to go home at 5PM and they don't have to pay for the warranty claim. Toyota does. They get paid to do the work and will get their money either way.

In general, however, they don't like to piss off customers and are advised to err on the side of the customer. It hurts the reputation of the brand when people report these types of issues. They usually want to do what they can to make you happy in this regards. So, the guy is just doing his job. If that is his professional opinion about why things are going wrong and you dont agree, I would take it to an independant shop and see what they say. That's really about all you can do. If an independant shop with no stake in the issue breaks it all down and inspects things and tells you the same story about the mod causing the issue, I would think it very well could be true. In fact, you might do this, just for your own peace of mind. If it is indeed causing this issue, it will keep repeating. Repeated visits to resolve this issue won't look good on a Carfax report if you want to sell it one day.

14. Mar 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Torque the U bolts to 80#, and see if the vibes go away.

15. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    And check that the leaf packs are not installed BACKWARDS! You are 100% correct in saying that front springs won't affect rear driveline angles on a single rear axle. Its not a tandem or tridem rear axle.:confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top