1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the Haweka Adapter necessary to properly balance aftermarket wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TacomaGus, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    pretty much wondering what the title says. Have had these tires for about 5,000 miles now and they haven't been balanced properly 5 times now, and thats with the road force balancing. So i'm wondering whether my tires are just total shit (wild country xtx sports 32x11.5) and i need to replace them to get rid of vibes. Or if every shop doing the road forcing hasn't used the correct adapter so they wouldn't be balanced correctly anyways.

So its either stealership for last ditch balancing or if i get enough input then i'm not wasting my time and just replacing these POS

damn't...

2. Dec 24, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
  3. Dec 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
  4. Dec 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    anyone?

5. Dec 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would help but I have no idea what the hell is Haweka adapter is.

Discount tire had no problems balancing my ties on aftermarket wheels.

Hell, after the second improper balancing I would definitely have looked for a new shop anyways.

6. Dec 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    did they do the road force on them?

7. Dec 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    No idea.

8. Dec 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    The Haweka adapter won't do you any good because they are made for lug centric wheels, like 4runners have on them. Tacoma's have hub centric wheels, not lug centric, so the Haweka adapter won't apply in your case.

I hate to say it, but it's most likely your Wild Country tires. I have owned a lot of different tires and the couple sets of Wild Country's that I have had, have been the worst tire I've ever had.

I would try and get the shop to give you a different tire, preferably something like a Goodyear, BFG, Cooper, Nitto.

9. Dec 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Looks like you have aftermarket wheels. Do you have hub centric rings? They might be necessary to get the wheels to mount correctly on your wheel hub.

10. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    not sure? is it like a big ring that comes out of the center that the hub cap is placed on top off? haha newb question

11. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    well i have aftermarket pro comp 8069 wheels and it says their "non hubcentric" so i was assuming their lug centric. I've read all over this forum that the tacoma wheels, and thus the aftermarket replacements, are lug centric and the haweka adapter is needed for a proper balance. But then i've also read its not needed and a road force balance will do the trick, which obviously hasn't in my case haha

12. Dec 25, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
  13. Dec 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    When I first got my new wheel/tire set up from Discount they balanced them wrong. Took it back the same day and they got it right. Got a nail in my tire a month later. Took it to Discount to fix and rebalance it. Drove home and noticed the vibes again. Took it back and they fixed it.

Just had my 5k service done at Toyota. No problems at all with vibes when they rotated/balanced my tires. They were/are balanced perfectly.

Running Duratracs and Raceline Renegades.

14. Dec 25, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    pretty much. It's a ring (usually plastic or aluminum) that fits around your truck's wheel hub. It fills the space between your truck's hub and the center bore of the wheel or wheel center cap. OEM wheels fit the hub perfectly ie. hub centric. Aftermarkets usually have a larger bore to fit multiple vehicles (lug centric). If the wheel doesn't mount centered on the hub then the effect is similar to out of balance vibrations.

I mentioned it b/c I had a very similar experience. Bought brand new tires and kept having out of balance vibrations. Shop rebalanced them multiple times but didn't fix it. They told me that it would never ride like stock with my aftermarket wheels. Ended up getting extended thread lug nuts and hub rings to fix the problem. I still get vibs sometimes, but most of the time it's pretty smooth. I got my hub rings from http://www.justforwheels.com

15. Dec 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Correct. Most tire balancing machines use a cone-shaped piece to mount the wheel through the wheel's center bore. For lug centric wheels where the center bore may not be precise, the Haweka flange plate adapter mounts the wheel via the lug holes. See http://www.haweka.com/en/index.php?nav=5.79.83.103

RoadForce is a trademark for a series of Hunter machines that applies a roller on the tread while doing dynamic balancing. A RoadForce machine still needs a flange plate adapter (Haweka brand or other) to balance lug centric wheels, else the balancing may done on the "wrong" axis depending on the manufacturing tolerances of the wheel's center bore.

16. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM
    BrettBretterson

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    These 2 things are unrelated. Just because a wheel is non-hub centric doesn't automatically make it lug centric. If the wheel was lug centric there would be no need for hub rings, and it then wouldn't even matter that the wheel wasn't hub centric.

Both hub centric and non-hub centric wheels can use lug centric lugs if that is the type of lug seat it has, or non lug centric lugs of it has an acorn type seat.

It sounds like you need hub rings if you have aftermarket wheels that are non-hub centric. I'm a little shocked the shop has never said anything about needing hub rings, sounds like you need to get some answers as to why they have balanced them 5 times without ever mentioning the need for rings.

17. Dec 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    All you guys have given some great information that I was very fuzzy about. I do have hub rings tho that's the thing, they came with the wheels. It's just confusing cuz there is some guys on here with first gens and they also have the pro comp 8069s with no rings, yet they have no issues either. It's just so frustrating to see guys with and without the rings on the same wheels as mine to still have no issues on the first gens! I'm thinking it's gotta be my tires that are just shit. They have only driven perfectly fine for about 800-1000 miles out of the total 5000-5500 that I've put on them.

18. Dec 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Dilley

Dilley Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    KN Cold air intake, Dynomax exaust, Husky liners
    I have the wildcountry xtx sports and they have been great. they really handly well and esp. the snow. you may have gotten a bad tire because that happens even with all the good brands. It is a really popular tire. It could be your rims. Did you get the rims the same time as your tires?

19. Dec 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    i did, but i have had the road force balancing done so many times and it has never come back saying that i have had an out of round rim. And 3 of the 4 have so many damn weights on the inside its ridiculous and you can feel the high spot where the weights are placed. Sucks cuz yes they are great in the snow

20. Dec 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    BrettBretterson

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    Sounds like you're back to the tires. Lots of weight is a red flag and is almost always the tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top