1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the snorkel worth it?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Blumpkinson, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Sep 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson [OP] Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Alright as stated above i am wondering whether or not a snorkel is worth the $300. I live in south jersey and so far it seems that the majority of the trails are a combination of sand or mud holes. I've been out a couple of times and i haven't gone through anything real deep but i'm sure i am eventually going to run into something that is much deeper then i expected:eek:. Now the $300 snorkel seems like a hell of an cheap alternative to hydrolock. I am going to do the rear diff breather soon i just need to get the union ordered. Any input would be greatly appreciated guys. Also is there any downsides to using a snorkel on a daily driver?

2. Sep 24, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    I'd say $300 snorkel > $3000 engine

3. Sep 24, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    In regards to the title.....Will you be going under water?:p

4. Sep 24, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    ligero18

ligero18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    I'm curious what it looks like do you have a link?

5. Sep 24, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking it just makes sense, however there aren't many people with them in here.

Im not going through alot of water just mud holes that i run across on the trail, however i could easily fall into a hidden rut and hydrolock my engine very quickly. So for 300 it just makes sense and they do look badass.

6. Sep 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
  7. Sep 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    luni had one on his blue taco... I think he removed the front fender flare to fit it?

8. Oct 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    nate_m

nate_m Active Member

Member:
    national park nj
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD
    3" toytech lift, 1" body lift, brush guard, costome rear bumper, safari snorkle, 32x11.5's
    well me and my friends wheel in sj and we've found plenty of water that went over my hood, and my friend with no snorkel stalled his engine a few times... so, i'd say it's worth it.

9. Oct 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    I'm getting it, still saving. Im in south jersey too, live in wenonah like ten minutes from ya. Where do you guys usually go?

10. Oct 2, 2009 at 10:07 PM
    WATRD

WATRD Keyser Soze

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Duvall, WA
    Vehicle:
    '01 S/C SAS TRD
    WATRD.com
    Personally, I like mine. I got it primarily to get the intake up out of the fender for cooler, cleaner air, but it has seen some moisture too... ;)

Keep in mind, unless you do a lot of waterproofing, spark and other electrical, the rest of the intake, etc, a snorkel doesn't buy you much by itself.

Also, it will be very much change the look of your rig and it will draw LOTS of comments.

http://www.nwtoys.com/tech/safari-snorkel-install

11. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    2004Taco

2004Taco Financially Irresponsible

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Maybe a dumb question but i know what a snorkel is. Wouldnt that be another way to get more air in the intake? Lets just say if your driving down the Highway and air is getting rammed in the intake. Wouldnt you be getting more HP and better MPG?

12. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Don't waste your money and stay out of the deep stuff.

Don't go into any mud hole without checking its depth first. If in doubt - DON'T DO IT.

The only thing a snorkel does is give you the false security of being able to go into deeper mud holes and you THINK you'll be safe.

"I've got a snorkel, I can go in there" :rolleyes: Total BS....

Do you know what to do (and not do) when the truck stalls in the middle of a mudhole?

MadDaddy likes this.
  13. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Actually i'm not really sure, i would assume not to turn it over so you don't pull the water farther into the engine. Aren't you suppose to pull the plugs then try to trun it over to force the water out?

14. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    In my eyes it goes a little something like this: It is along the lines of a Locker. It will get you INTO more trouble than it will get you out of. Just like Janster said.

15. Oct 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    You're on the right track....

If the engine stalls when you're in deep water....NEVER NEVER NEVER turn that key and try to start it. The water has already reached your cylinders and why it stalled. If you try to start it - you could bend a rod and destroy your engine. Water doesn't compress.....

Safely remove the vehicle from the mud/water. Open up the airbox and remove air filter and clean as much water out of the intake as you can.

Pull all the spark plugs. Spray some WD40 inside the cylinders. The WD-40 will help displace the water and lubricate at the same time. Crank it over....and watch the water fly out of the spark plug holes. When you are certain all the water is out, put the plugs back in, and reinstall the intake & air filter. Start it up and cross your fingers. It'll smoke (white smoke) like crazy for a while.....but should eventually clear up. It might actually run like shit also at first.

That is all routine emergency revival ....but depending on the situation ...not a cure all. Depending on the situation and what happened - you might not be able to revive it and already have a bent rod in the engine or have destroyed other components. You're better off not taking any chances and staying out of the deep stuff.

16. Oct 7, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Thanks for the advice, i think i might actually stay away from the snorkel so i dont get overconfident with the truck and screw something up. Instead im gonna invest in some sliders. The thought of taking a hole sawl to the side of my truck was freaking me out.:eek:
    Is there any other way to protect the air filter from mud and water just in case?

17. Oct 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    Jmartin89

Jmartin89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma TRD off road
    265/75/16 buckshot mudders, 3" lift OME 886 coils, LR UCA's, TRD cold air intake, AllPro rear bumper, rock sliders, and front bumper
    im not to sure about snorkel on a taco my friend with a jeep said that it takes away your horse power but its better just to stay out of the deep stuff, but a snorkel would look good, i have a snorkel on my four wheeler and all it did was take me places i didnt want to go to and it cost some money lol crossed a pond made it across to find some mud no one had touched before and broke an axle tryin to get out. Oh yeah and the idea of getting one just to be safe will never work because eventually you will just want to test it out i put the one on my four wheeler with the intent of just incase and ive been through water over my head even though i havnt flooded it out its still probably not to good for it

18. Oct 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    Jmartin89

Jmartin89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma TRD off road
    265/75/16 buckshot mudders, 3" lift OME 886 coils, LR UCA's, TRD cold air intake, AllPro rear bumper, rock sliders, and front bumper
    no not really only a snorkel would help its just better to play it safe

19. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I don't blame ya...I wouldn't wanna cut into my truck either.

I'm not aware of any other ways of protecting your airbox.

20. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Have you got the balls to drive into water as deep as the intake? If so, get a snorkel. If not, you're buying it for looks.

BTW I have driven cars in water deeper than the intake and theyve been fine. Keep a bow wave going and you can go quite deep without problems. Famous last words.

Emmetjmcc4 and whitey420 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top