1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there a better-than-OEM throw out bearing available?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 0uTkAsT, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jul 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    I know there's a lot of threads about our crap clutches and crap TOB's but I'm really sick of my slipping, clattering, clunky clutch and I can't seem to find any aftermarket TOB's for us 2TR guys. I'm going to be replacing everything short of the flywheel and I'd rather not throw a junk TOB (that may or may not last another 40k miles) back in it if possible.

Thanks for the help.

2. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans displaced viking living in New Hampshire

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    THE LIVE FREE OR DIE STATE
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma reg cab 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    undercover se, pop&lock tailgate, rallye 1000 hela black magic lights, black grill craft grill lower. twm m1 abrams shift knob, ap ubolt flip kit & ifs high clearance skid , timbren bumpstops, pro comp 3 inch lift, goodrich ss braklines front and rear, lr uca's, customlightz.com fx-r 55 watt retrofit, ARB deluxe bull bar, vision-x solstice pods, black wet okole seat cover,weather tech digital floor mats window visors toyota hood guard, safari snorkel, full bed rug, full putco led swap hd led flasher cf18-08, pioneer bluetooth ipod navigation double din headunit, flowmaster 40 muffler custom center outlet exhaust, regear and arb lockers, arb rear bumper if they ever fucking release one lol and arb sliders coming soon as well as a new line-xtra paint job!
    idk my truck is pretty much new 6k on the odo.

lol i'm ready to say fuck it and replace everything as well it sounds and feels like shit i agree its the only real thing about the truck i hate.

3. Jul 22, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Yeah, mine just hit 44k and it drives, feels, and sounds like shit. The clutch slips pretty bad, makes a ton of rattling noises, shifts really clunky (particularly with the A/C on) and sometimes I'll even have to step on the clutch multiple times to get it to start. It's amazing to me how crappy the clutches (and associated parts) are in these trucks considering how top-notch everything else is. My last 5-speed truck (a Dakota) put down almost 400 ft-lbs of torque through the stock clutch for 105,000 miles before it died, and I beat the shit out of that thing on a daily basis.

4. Jul 23, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    Vehicle:
    undercover se, pop&lock tailgate, rallye 1000 hela black magic lights, black grill craft grill lower. twm m1 abrams shift knob, ap ubolt flip kit & ifs high clearance skid , timbren bumpstops, pro comp 3 inch lift, goodrich ss braklines front and rear, lr uca's, customlightz.com fx-r 55 watt retrofit, ARB deluxe bull bar, vision-x solstice pods, black wet okole seat cover,weather tech digital floor mats window visors toyota hood guard, safari snorkel, full bed rug, full putco led swap hd led flasher cf18-08, pioneer bluetooth ipod navigation double din headunit, flowmaster 40 muffler custom center outlet exhaust, regear and arb lockers, arb rear bumper if they ever fucking release one lol and arb sliders coming soon as well as a new line-xtra paint job!
  5. Jul 23, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    Vehicle:
    mine is so loud with the hot weather we are having its retarded there has to be something wrong with it. it is with out a doubt the worst sounding thing on any vehicle i have ever owned!

mine is loud and gets louder as you drive it and things heat up. it's so loud it's actually got me worried that i'm doing some type of damage to the truck it self.

6. Jul 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    By loud are you referring to the "diesel" noise at idle with the clutch out or does yours make noise as you're driving? Mine does the "diesel" thing and rattles a bit while accelerating (almost sounds like it's running on bad gas). Also, I get this high-pitched, intermittent "hum" which becomes more of a "grinding" sound that comes from the trans tunnel when I'm decelerating in 4th or 5th gear from 75-55 MPH. It, too, gets worse as the truck heats up. I'd take a video, but it's extremely hard to hear it over my fart can.

7. Jul 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Manual Transmission Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2011 RegCab Manual 5 lug
    Hose clamp mod, Bench>Buckets swap,6-Speed center console,Secondary air filter removed,AFE pro dry s,Weathertech mats,TRD seat covers,Sirius,Pop N Lock, Bed Mat,Int Wiper switch, Bugflector,Yellow Fog lights,Ventvisors,back-rack.
    i thought the TOB issues was only for the 6 SPD M/T guys ? I am at 6K and no issues yet!

8. Jul 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Have you looked into seeing if the URD TOB kit would work on your 5 speed?

9. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    They're for the 4.0/6-speed trucks only.

10. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Who did you verify that with?

Easy way to verify is put a 5 Speed TO bearing next to a 6 speed one..if input shaft diameter is same..it'll work.

Why don't you have a spacer machined out like the URD sells for your 5 speed? If your transmission is designed similar with the same problem..

and I never even heard of the 5speed 05+ having TO problems :confused:

11. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I don't know how you never heard of them having problems, I know 6 guys on here who have either replaced them multiple times or are about to. I got the info from URD, who said they fit the 6-speed only. And I don't have a 5-speed TOB laying around to compare to a 6-speed TOB. I might be able to stop at my dealer to compare the two parts sometime this week.

12. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Almost there

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    AFE pro dry s, Husky X-act Contour
    I got the same problem, TOB was shit. Sounded horrible and was embarrassing

13. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    I only follow the 6 speed problems because my father has an X-Runner.

I don't really follow 2nd Gen trucks in general..they are pieces. In my opinion.
    but I won't start that war.

I'm just trying to help you out man, and good idea on stopping in at the dealer...

If they are different, like I said..you might be able to machine a sleeve or have a sleeve machined..if you could somehow get ahold of a input shaft from one of the 5 speeds to give to machine shop.
    That's if the 5 speeds have the same problem wise as the 6 speeds..where the side load of bearing shifts..causing the abnormal wear(which is what happens to the TO bearings and then they go becauseof that)

It'd be a good R&D project for you 5 speed guys if you have the time and funds...:)

14. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    Vehicle:
    mine sounds off when the ac compressor is cycled on and the truck is in neutral with my foot of the clutch. so sitting in my drive way if i start her up and turn the air on the noise starts and it gets significantly louder as the truck reaches operating temp. press the foot in on the clutch and it stops foot off the noise just commences once again.

that sounds like a t/o bearing to me.

15. Jul 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    It does. Yours is still under warranty, I'd make them fix it. Mine, unfortunately, is not under warranty.

16. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    white96850turbo

white96850turbo Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    none... yet
    have you guys tried Sachs clutch kit / TO bearing? Sachs clutch kits are OEM on bmw and porsches... It can't be any worse than stock (from what it sounds like) unless they are the OEM supplyer for toyota.

17. Jul 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I don't know honestly, but thanks for throwing that out there. Maybe someone here knows?

18. Aug 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Motorsports

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    4.88s w/h rear Powertrax locker, Fox 2.5 Ext. RR COs, Camburg 1.25” ucas, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, 315/75/16 BFG KM2, AP 1.5" spacers, 16x8 Pro Comp wheels, BFF front hybrid, GSM rear HC, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF lca skids, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, K&N 63 CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF cali., LCE Dual Comp clutch, URD ss, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, ARB compressor, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, 500 hellas w/h 6k hid conv., custom ADV Monster model 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers, Weather Tech
    i did a write up on replacing the stock clutch with a Centerforce Duel-Friction clutch and i bought an aftermarket TOB with it and i will personally 100% say that the TOB is what makes that horrible sound!! As soon as i put the new one in its completely gone! If i crank my truck and turn the AC on, i hear tha compressor turn on with no "diesel" sound, if i listen real close i can hear a sound change when i push in the clutch but otherwise i dont notice it! Def replace your TOB and tha "diesel" sound will go away

19. Aug 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    What aftermarket TOB did you install? Was it by Sachs as mentioned previously?

20. Aug 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
To Top