1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there a point to buy a High-Flow CAT?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by xSpyderguyx, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Apr 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    xSpyderguyx

xSpyderguyx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Washinton State
    Vehicle:
    2001 3.4L v6 SR5
    s40 Flowmaster 33" Toyo M/T tires 16" P.A wheels 3" revteck Suspension lift
    I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my 2001 Tacoma. It sounds good, it isnt that loud, but it sounds really good. No rasp, pretty deep, and sounds like a truck. Not a fart can.

Will I gain any performance or volume with a high-flow CAT?

Any personal stories about them?

2. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    PacNWgen1

PacNWgen1 NewHere

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96' Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7l 4x4 5-speed 150,000+
    DynoMax ST, Deck Plate, Full Syn, Soon Header and Slotted Rotors
  3. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    no personal experience, but i'd guess you wouldn't see any performance change, but would probably get some volume

4. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I have a high flow cat on my 91 toy. Never noticed a difference

5. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The OEM Toyota cats flow very well. Virtually no restriction until you go into the force inducted world.

6. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    Even then, they still flow pretty well.

Unless you start pushing alot of volume, or start running a rich AFR, no need to do anything with the rear cats. Front cats should be replaced with headers if possible.

7. Apr 16, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    off topic question in relation to this thread (i apologize), but isn't there a sensor screwed in to the header/first cat assembly (i can't remember if it's before or part of the y-pipe)? when you get new headers, do they have a tapped hole for the sensor?

8. Apr 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Dbl cab Auto
    I'm thinking of running a couple of high flow cats in my dual exhaust, to cut down on the exhaust smell:confused:.

9. Apr 17, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Would be a good idea. Just need to keep an eye on ur afr. Too rich and u risk melting the cats.

10. Apr 17, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    No. The long tube and shorties both come with a bung welded in already.

11. Apr 17, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Ok, I've not heard it called a high flow cat, I have heard free flow cat, which in terms may be the same thing. I was at a muffler shop and the man was looking at my cat and he told me mine looked old and could be clogged, its all rusty. Well he suggested a free flow cat, with has the outside shell of a cat, but just a straight pipe running through it. So in NC it will still pass inspection. He told me that there wouldn't be a hp gain, if there was it wouldn't be noticable. Also he told me that he runs one on everything he has because he says it gives much better air flow causing him to get better mpg. On the downside this may not be true he may have just been trying to sell a product to make money. But IMHO, in theory you would think just a straight pipe would cause louder exhaust, everytime air goes through a cat or a bend in the pipe it deafens it causing it to be quieter. SO in theory you automatically think this would work to cause your muffler to be louder, also better flow of air imo would cause better mpg. I too have a 40 series on my V6, and I too have considered putting one of these cats on.

12. Apr 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Dbl cab Auto
  13. Apr 19, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    ^^ agreed, mines pretty cruddy looking, thats why I was considering it.

14. Apr 19, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Lots of good posts in this thread already.

The gain for the vast majority would be minimal if any. The only way to really know is to dyno run before and after. The increase would likely be small in the peak VE are of the engine. (Volumetric efficiency) Not likely to be felt with a "butt dyno".

Like XrunnIT says, sometimes a vehicle is pushed for power and boosted applications want to let parts out if they get lean. During had pulls, you will see tuner jockeys take AFR down into the 12:1 range from the normal 14.65:1 range for safety of the engine. You can see this done with cats on the vehicle as long as cruise AFR is close.

What he is talking about is a "test pipe" in a disguised shell. These have been illegal for street use for years. I know many people do this, but thought is was worth mentioning for those that would like to know.

With the new rules for cats on vehicles, the old way of putting a cat on based on size alone is getting more and more restricted. If a test pipe is installed there will be the need for a sensor simulator or other device to keep the MIL/CEL off. Those that sell them put strong notes on about them being "for off road use only" for a reason. The fines, if you happen to be the target of an enforcement action are not small.

15. Apr 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    Do you think that it would be worth it to put one of these on??? I mean I know that you don't really gain anything, but if I was to put one on would it hurt my truck in any way???

16. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    DblCabMN

DblCabMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mpls, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    03 DC TRD/LTD
    Bilstein 5100's all around - Toytec/Eibach 112-620 Coils, Wheelers 5-Pack+Wheelers 2"AAL. 33x10.5x15 KM2s - Siped on Summit Racing 84-5883 rims with 3.750 BS. 4.88s. Demello HD round sliders. Home built full skids. Home built front bumper. Plasti'd badges. Energy Susp. steering rack bushings. Sway bar delete. Deck plate mod. aFe Pro-Dry. Gibson exhaust.
    I'm reviving this thread instead of creating my own. I basically have the same questions that don't really appear to be answered fully hear (Though great insight)

2003 5vz-fe. 105k miles. Gibson 55112S muffler. Deckplate mod.

I will be installing a new front O2 and a URD sim as my CEL has been on throwing p0420 and p0135 (from memory, might not be 135... but something about no voltage to rear o2-yes i know i may need to replace this O2 as well but thought i'd see if the sim works and i'd get it anyway so...)

I'm about 100% sure my cats are shot/plugged. Trucks been getting 16mpgs with a 50/50 mix of city highway on my 15 mile commute lately. Feel like it's running 'wet' or bogged.

I'm looking at replacing the cats and there are a couple configurations out there that i'm looking at. I live in MN so no inspections, but have no interest in deleting both cats.

The way i see it, my options are:

This in the front:
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...intcmpid=Product+Listings+Best+Seller#reviews

or this:
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...c=Front&intcmpid=Product+Listings+Best+Seller

Has anyone had exp. with either company?

Then either replace the 2nd cat with a 'test pipe' or slap in another 'high-flow' cat for ~$100 - I think i'd prefer to keep two cats even if they're high flow...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...vetrain&intcmpid=Product+Listings+Best+Seller

or

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...71.html?intcmpid=Product+Listings+Best+Seller

Any help is appreciated.

17. Jul 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    03TRDtacotrucker

03TRDtacotrucker No Road. No Problem.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    03 SC double cab TRD SR5 4X4
    TRD supercharger, URD 7th injector, Map 3 ECU, 2.2 URD pulley, Doug Thorley headers, Bear River tru performance hi flow cat, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 6" fabtech lift, 33" Goodyear wrangler tires, the old all pro tube rear bumper, ARB front bumper with smitty built 8k winch, pro comp krawlers 87 series wheels, roof rack, 60" hi-lift jack, K&N intake, grey wire mod, front and rear diff breather mod, G2-performance 4.56 gears w/ royal purple oil, red top optima battery, PreRunner Tiregate with full size spare, Radflo front coilovers, Custom home made front skid plate, rear bilstein 5150 series shocks, Elite sliders w/o kick, Camburg UCA, mech grill with old school TOYOTA logo, ash tray removal Cobra CB radio w/ Firestik - List as of 1-17-18
    Don't mean to thread jack, but didn't feel the need to open a new one since this is already up and going.
    I have an 03 double cab on 35's and a 6" lift. installed a TRD supercharger and just had it tuned with an ECU MAP 3 running a URD 7th injector. truck runs like crap as far as power goes feels like im towing a boat everywhere I go. after reading a lot of posts online im starting to think that maybe my cats are plugged which may be causing my power issue. was Wondering what hi flow cats people recommend for this setup or if the 35" tires are whats just causing my power issue?

18. Jul 25, 2014 at 4:21 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Who tuned it? What are your AFR's? Did you have a chance to look at your timing map? Did it run the same prior to the Map-Ecu3?

19. Jul 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger, URD 7th injector, Map 3 ECU, 2.2 URD pulley, Doug Thorley headers, Bear River tru performance hi flow cat, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 6" fabtech lift, 33" Goodyear wrangler tires, the old all pro tube rear bumper, ARB front bumper with smitty built 8k winch, pro comp krawlers 87 series wheels, roof rack, 60" hi-lift jack, K&N intake, grey wire mod, front and rear diff breather mod, G2-performance 4.56 gears w/ royal purple oil, red top optima battery, PreRunner Tiregate with full size spare, Radflo front coilovers, Custom home made front skid plate, rear bilstein 5150 series shocks, Elite sliders w/o kick, Camburg UCA, mech grill with old school TOYOTA logo, ash tray removal Cobra CB radio w/ Firestik - List as of 1-17-18
    I had the URD before and it ran lean all the time so I gave up with it. AFR on map ecu 3 are 14.7 up to 3 Ibs of boost then runs in the mid 13-12 AFR till 5 Ibs then goes into the 11-10 AFR close to 7-8 Ibs of boost. And 10 AFR under WOT.

20. Jul 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    Had a local shop called dynosaur performance tune it. Also know as power house performance.

Products Discussed in

To Top