1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there such a thing as too much winch?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Thelgord, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Feb 10, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord [OP] The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    So, I'm in the market for a winch and bumper. It seems that right 9000 pounds is what most people choose, however I found a good deal on a 12,000 pounder (used but still in good shape) that will still fit the bumper I am looking at.

Is this too much winch for a Taco? Will I just pull the bumper off on a hard pull?

2. Feb 10, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    no such, get it.

3. Feb 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    There are a few factors here. If you use your winch smart then you can go big. If you have a bolder infrontof your rear axle and you winch forward you will damage your vehicle regardless of winch size. the bigger the winch the more damage.

Thelgord[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 10, 2016 at 10:33 PM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    How much more does it weigh compared to a 9000 lb winch? Steel or synthetic line? No sense in having too much extra weight in front if you don't need it. I would definitely reinforce the frame as much as possible where the bumper attaches and then some.

Thelgord[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 11, 2016 at 5:03 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord [OP] The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    So 1 yes and 2 be careful's ... decisions decisions ...

6. Feb 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    I get what you're saying here but not sure I agree exactly. If you've got something that is blocking the truck and you're using a winch to pull against it and something breaks, it's going to break at the same amount of force regardless of the winch. For example, let's say a 9K lb winch has exactly 9K lbs of pulling force and a 12K lb winch has exactly 12K lbs of pulling force, but the bumper it's mounted to will shear bolts at 8K lbs of force. Those bolts are going to shear at 8K lbs and cause the same amount of damage.

But I understand what you're getting at. A smaller winch may stall earlier giving you some warning before it breaks something where a bigger winch won't stall and will continue adding force that could break something without warning.

But back to the original question, I think there's a point where a winch can be overkill, but with what you're describing I don't see a problem at all. I'd go for it if it fits.

Mademan925[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 12, 2016 at 9:14 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff

I was just basically saying. The bigger you go the safer you have to be when using it.

Box Rocket[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top