1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this a gimmick?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Frogdaddy, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Pioneer MVH-p8200 hu with XM receiver using TSS supplied shark fin cable, Mud Flap cut mod.
    Waiting at the local tire place getting a flat fixed on another car and overheard them charging people for a TPMS Rebuild kit? What kind of crap is that? What is there to rebuild? You put the wheel on a mag machine, remove the old tire and put on a new tire. Careful not to damage existing sensor. Or am I missing something? Also, anyone should be able to do the reset?

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Rebuild Kit
    Starting at $7.50

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Sensors
    Starting at $85

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Reset
    Starting at $30

2. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I know from when i worked at Kal Tire when I was 19 that some new sensors can cost 125$

3. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    If the needle in the valve stem was defective and the tire was looseing air because of it I can see it but how often are they defective? I've never had one...let alone all 4 of them being bad. How do these parts wear from corrosion from the elements with the cap in place? I read where one guy said he was being charged for a "rebuild" kit everytime he got new tires. Sounds like a bunch of bs to me.
    http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/general/tpmsRebuildKit.jsp

4. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I think the rebuild kit would consist of a new valve core, rubber seal (for inside the rim), and the nut (threaded part) that holds the sensor to the rim. JMO.

5. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    whiskey101

whiskey101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White 4WD TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XQ
    +1

6. Jan 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    bivey

bivey Well-Known Member

Member:
    +2

7. Jan 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    bivey

bivey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Some vehicles are a little more complicated in resetting the tpms than a Toyota. Some sensors can be expensive.

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Pioneer MVH-p8200 hu with XM receiver using TSS supplied shark fin cable, Mud Flap cut mod.
    Ah. o.k. so that makes more sense. I guess just like when you get new tires you replace the valve stem. Instead of keeping the originals these parts get warn over time just like anything else. So at 7.50 a tire you can count on $30+ . Thanks.

9. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    bivey

bivey Well-Known Member

Member:
    yes that way you can spend the extra $30 for the set instead of having to buy another new tire if it goes flat and gets ruined just because you didn't rebuild the sensor and it started leaking.

10. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    chilean101

chilean101 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ives
    ventura
    Vehicle:
    09 off road debadged
    Grillcraft mesh grill (top and bottom), Aries bullguard, shorty antenna, debadged, k/n cold air intake and air filter, 33 in bridgestone duelers a/t ,tinted windows all around, ddm 4500 lo/hi hid kit, webasto retractable moonroof, custom trd decals(scokmonkey), 3 inch revtek lift kit, led map and dome lights. super white fogs, newly added toyota OEM roof rack ,n-fab stainless steel side steps, chopped exhaust, full size trd anthracite spare tire . modded bike rack and spare tire rack mount(made by snobord 552)
    The tpms service packs for Toyota tacomas are only $2 at costco, I know I change them everyday as I work there. Most of them are around that price except for bmw's which are around $15 . You should change them because the rubber seals crack over time just like rubber valve stems

11. Jan 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Does Costco automatically do this when new tires are purchased? Do they ask the customer or is this a standard repair? I just got new bfg a/t's from them...I guess since my truck only had 15,000 miles on it they either didn't bother with it or they did it and didn't mention anything.:confused:

12. Jan 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    Series1000

Series1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    Lots
    +3

13. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM
    chilean101

chilean101 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ives
    ventura
    Vehicle:
    09 off road debadged
    Grillcraft mesh grill (top and bottom), Aries bullguard, shorty antenna, debadged, k/n cold air intake and air filter, 33 in bridgestone duelers a/t ,tinted windows all around, ddm 4500 lo/hi hid kit, webasto retractable moonroof, custom trd decals(scokmonkey), 3 inch revtek lift kit, led map and dome lights. super white fogs, newly added toyota OEM roof rack ,n-fab stainless steel side steps, chopped exhaust, full size trd anthracite spare tire . modded bike rack and spare tire rack mount(made by snobord 552)
    Costco should have asked you if you wanted them , but at 15,000 miles they are probably fine I changed my tires at 15k also and left the originals on. Mileage is not as much of an issue as time. I drive about 20,000 miles per year so a yeaR is not long enough for the rubber to start cracking , anything over a year is questionable so might as well replace to be on the safe side.

Products Discussed in

To Top