1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this a good body lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ajreyno1994, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Dec 23, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    i'll tell you this:
    i have a 3" spacer lift. many on here will tell you spacers are garbage.
    my truck has gone through more mudholes,washouts, palmetto bushes(dont ask), and high speed runs through the woods than alot of peoples have on here.
    I dont pussyfoot around the wilderness in my truck and it has taken the abuse quite well.
    as far as body lifts go, everyone will also tell you they are shit. i dont have one yet(i say yet because i am getting a 1" after the holidays) but from my many years of off roading and tinkering with vehicles i can tell you, as long as you dont cut any corners, and follow the directions for the llift, it will be fine.
    the majority of the problems that people(on here especially) site with body lifts, come from home-made body lifts.
    if there were that many issues with commercially made body lifts, they wouldn't even be available.
    are you trying to be a front runner in the next baja 1000? no.
    i say go with what you want.........thats what i did, and i'll put my truck up against anyones in the terrain i usually run in.

2. Dec 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    whoa whoa whoa dude, well if you dont want to blow all your money on junk then why were you considering a body lift? i know youre just asking questions but you will soon find out that us guys here on TW dont like body lifts.

if you want a decent setup buy:
    Bilstien 5100's
    Light Racing UCA's

if you want to save some dough dont get the coils or the UCA's and just do the 5100's and set them at 2.5" thats what i have on my second gen and it runs as well as i would ever need it to.

3. Dec 24, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Yup, don't listen to us at all. Listen to the floridian. He'll put his truck up against anyone's :rolleyes:

4. Dec 24, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wait so only the home-made body lifts make your truck look like shit? Never realized that.

5. Dec 24, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    lol, well they all look terrible if over 1", but the home made ones are just unsafe.

6. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    absolutely right i will.
    does anyone know where that "infamous" pic came from or what caused that to happen? just wondering

lets get into the "go with 885s and billies".
    is that really that much better than spacers? cause the last i checked, spacers just preload the spring which raises the front suspension.pretty much the same thing putting stiffer springs will do. am i mistaken?

even with aftermarket coilovers you are esentially doing to same thing when you crank them down(preloading) to gain lift.

so essencially, we are left with drop bracket lifts....be it a 4.5" or 6" being the only right way to lift a tacoma with out preloading the front suspension

7. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    i didn't say that they didn't make the truck look like shit.

8. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    I've seen a body lifted cab get ripped from the frame in a accident, not a home made body lift either.

9. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    when i rolled my 07 the front passenger side body mount bolt almost ripped through the floor board....it was stock

10. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Not the same thing. Putting on a stiffer (higher spring rate) coil does not reduce suspension travel, just changes ride height. Changing ride height with a spacer does change the suspension travel, reducing shock stroke exactly the height of the block. That means if you hit a bump, the energy compresses the shock and spring, and when it reaches the end of it's travel instead of being absorbed by the bump stop the energy violently shivers through the shock body. The weakest point of the factory bilsteins is the bottom shaft end, which either penetrates the shock body, bends, or breaks. I'm not talking jumping or the shit I do, just minor normal bumps on dirt roads. Metal fatigue will set in on your truck eventually, and you'll believe me. I know body lifts suck because I was 16 and broke once too, and it was a pain in the ass welding that frame back together, lol. Would have been way cooler to stuff those 35's on with no lift by cutting the inner fenders out, but I didn't have the internet back then and seasoned wheelers to let me know the "right" way to do shit.

11. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    numbah57

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Aren't 5100's and other after market c/o's valved for the extra pre load of after market coils and cranking of the c/o's?

12. Dec 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    Fienoma

Fienoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hieu
    New Mexcio
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab Off road 4x4
    BHLM, In bed lights mod, K&N intake,OEM bed extender....more to come?
    Hm, i had some toytec 3inch spacers on my truck before i made the move to adjustable billies.

The reason i made the move was due to the fact that the spacer ride was not the greatest and when i went cruising down some fire roads and when( didn;t hit any med or large pot holes, mind you and kept speed at 10mph) i got out to the main road, got out to check my baby for damage and noticed my driver side shock was bent.

I don't abuse my truck.. my type of off roading is very different from most of the guys on here..cruising on dirt roads is good enough for me..

Now with my billies set at 2.5 i run down the same fire road going 30 to 35 with no problem with eatting up large pot holes at that speed.. but in my honest opinion..coil over systems will always be better than spacers.

13. Dec 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    numbah57

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    ^^^^^ bingo

14. Dec 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    so as long as its on bumpstops before all travel is used they are fine right?

15. Dec 24, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    my point here is this:
    there are too many people on here that talk down to people about body lifts and spacer lifts. body and spacer lifts are a decent budget-minded way of lifting a vehicle a little bit. are they the best-no, but that doesn't mean they are garbage either.
    i off road my truck (perhaps too hard at times) and i have a spacer lift. it works just fine. will i damage something eventually- probably, but i'm pretty sure that with off roading there is always going to be that risk. no matter your setup.

another point to consider- dealerships install spacer lifts on a variety of vehicles and warranty them.

16. Dec 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    yes but then you'll have maybe 2 inches of up travel.

17. Dec 24, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i have a 4.5 susp lift from my SAS and 3" body lift from before

when i had IFS i loved the body lift with a 3" spacer lift.

buttttt

after the SAS i had more flex and softer springs and found that the body lift makes the center of gravity way too high

Products Discussed in

To Top