1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is This a Good Deal? What Do You Think?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tacoma206, Nov 22, 2011.

?

Buy It?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2011.
  1. Yes - This is a good deal and good buy

36.0%
  2. No - Keep looking

32.0%
  3. Depends - See my post for details

32.0%
  1. Nov 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    Tacoma206

Tacoma206 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    So my brother needs a car with 4x4, so we were looking on craigslist and are going to meet this guy to look at this truck. Kelley Blue Book is between $5,500 and $6,000. This truck has 149,000 miles and expired tags (makes me wonder if it can pass emissions and the last time 4x4 was engaged). Please take a quick look and let me know what you think.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2679089327.html

Send all thoughts, thanks.

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    seems like its been wrecked in the front end the color under the hood near the fire wall is red no t the burgundy type color but he should drop it a few $100 for the radio. But I mean I would like to have it. would look nice lifted

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    I didn't even notice the red under the hood. You thinking it used to be burgundy and was replaced after an accident?

4. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Jo Dog

Jo Dog ROLL TIDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo Dog
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab tacoma TRDoffroad SR5 V6 4x4
    as long as it has a clear title seem like a good deal to me the truck would bring alot more here

5. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
  6. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    ST3VE

ST3VE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bel Air, MD
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crew Max
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    I dont think it has been wrecked. I think the discoloration under the hood is from being on the road over 150,000 miles, paint gets oxidized. I am sure a carfax of the truck will give you a piece of mind (granted the owner didnt have to report it.) But all and all I think it looks like a good deal. When you get to it, check the oil for discoloration, look at the antifreeze and make sure it looks clean. Start it up and pop the hood and listen for odd sounds such as tapping and things. Let it run for a bit and if your happy then get it. worse comes to worse you can bring it to a mechanic and have them look at it.

7. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    youngblood1856

youngblood1856 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    Tyler, tx
    Vehicle:
    05 Trd off road 4x4 6 speed
    URD air intake, 3" lift, 16" Micky Thompsons classic w/ simulated bead locks, 33" Toyo MT's, exhaust, ATO skids, and okoles.
    I would take i to a trust worthy mechanic if you know one and have him go through the whole truck to ensure that everything is in good running condition.

8. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    +1 on the title, and a Carfax is always worth whatever it costs for peace of mind. I paid $6000 for my 1997 2.7L, but not before I had the seller put in new brake pads and do a coolant flush, per the recommendations of my pre-sale inspection by a local mechanic. However mine still had a stereo, and no body damage. So a Carfax and pre-sale inspection is gonna run you like $100, more than worth it IMO.

9. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    sernaj64

sernaj64 Aight

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner V6 SR5
    N fab Step bars BHLM by Asianants Pro Comp 2.25" level lift kit rear leaf TSB
    I agree get it checked out and get a car fax its your purchas feel good with it if not well you know

10. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    I have never used carfax. Is it pretty simple? Do you have do anything special or just go to the website and follow the instructions?

11. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    Ill sell you mine for 4500 :)

12. Nov 22, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    cc350

cc350 Buckeye Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Liberty,Twp Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD DC
    TRex3 eyelids,Undercover hardshell cover,Timbrens
    Carfax is a good start, but don't depend on it being all true. Only things on carfax are what's reported. You can see the passenger fender has been repainted. Minus the cost of paint and tailgate replacement, replacing radio and seatbelt. I'd offer closer +- 5k. Start around 4700.00 and come up or walk away.

13. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    looks pretty good. but you never know until you take a good look at it. also, LOL he calls the tail gate a trunk lid

14. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    the passenger side fender looks like a different color that the drivers side. the owner could have got a new fender

15. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo Clean 1 owner with low miles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    99' 4x4
    Suspension/bumpers/lights/sound/wheels and tires/old man tan camper
    I to think wrecked.

[​IMG]

if you look in the above picture the door/fender/hood are different colors. What also solidifys that belief is the below picture.

[​IMG]

if you notice, battery box is missing as seen by the crooked battery, and the stock air box is gone, so it either broke in an accident, or they really wanted to do a k/n. Also, aftermarket grill (maybe its a cheapo clipped to the stocker), as well as new turn signals/headlights. again this might be a custom on prupose job, but still points to accident.

Some things to check out also is to see if there is ripples in the metal under the hood.

Next up is to see if it throws a cel, make sure when you turn the key one turn the cel lights up, then when the vehicle is on, the cel is off. there are obviously ways to trick it but yeah.

Check the cv boots, engage 4lo and drive it around a hair. check ball joints/wheel bearings (jack up vehicle and spin/shake shit). seat belt looks gnawed which im cautious of.

check lenght of brake lines in the rear, if they're extended its been lifted either suspension/block/body which could mean its been abused. Also look at the top pic in my post, the body lines, the trim, is a little jagged, signs that its been wrecked/tweaked.

Finally look for the little things. its the sr5 so should have keyfobs. see if all the lights work, if dome light comes on when doors are opened, see if it dings while key is in ignition, vehicle off, door open or w.e. Check to see that all lights work, blinker doesnt blink fast etc etc. Also check suspension as well as leaf spring shackles. are the leaf springs bowed down, level, or bowed up? are the shackles stock? horn function?

If you have a smart phone you can by a bluetooth scangauge tool to use with phone. tool is about 30 bucks, and program is like 5. definetly an affordable way to check engine problems. Here in arizona, auto zones are still permitted to check engine light for free, some states have banned this because of lawsuits.

I bought a lemon, will admit it, still hate myself for it, its cost me as much to rebuild it as it was to buy it. I just hope my mistake has taught me enough to help others in tough decisions.

20th edit: looks like aftermarket grill has nothing behind it like most billets. so fender/hood is different color, aftermarket air intake, aftermarket headlights/corner markers/turn signals, and grill.

also, in all the outter pictures the front wheels appear straight, but the steering wheel looks turned. people park one of two ways when they pull up straight. First, they straighten the steering wheel, OR they straighten the front wheels but the wheel would be turned. so unless these pictures were taken at different times, the alignment is off.

16. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    ^^^^ picky bastard

17. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    99' 4x4
    can ya blame me? hahaha

18. Nov 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    Defiantly Wrecked. Look at the radiator core support. Its black. If i am not mistaken it should be body color like the inner fender rails.

Also, as said before battery holder.

Don't bank on Carfax showing anything. Most older vehicles don't get turned into insurance and show clean. My Black Beater was clean. :D Never checked yet on Bloody Hell. :D

I think the price is a little high. Paint doesn't match, it has been hit in the front end.

19. Nov 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    99' 4x4
    id offer maybe 3500 provided everything else is in decent shape. i do not know about the core support as mines black, but my truck is also black.

20. Nov 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    I had a 2001 single cab prerunner 2.7. It wasnt 4X4, but I hated the engine. Could have just been my truck, but it had no power. I had to down shift on every hill. I guess it depends on what your using the 4X4 for. Just my opinion, but I love the V6's. My advice would be, just dont get pressured into buying something you dont want. I got excited as hell to get a new truck and barely test drove it, and had to wait 5 years to get the truck I wanted. Be patient

To Top