1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this how you Program a new Key?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ballon78, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    ballon78

ballon78 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    I have a 2006 tacoma, and need a spare key, i have the original black and a grey valet key but need a third for back up and maybe a remote start install. I can get the key at toyota for 45.00 but really dont want to pay them to program.

Has anybody succefully programed a 2006 tacoma key...I found this on another site, just want someone to confirm it works before i buy a new key..

The keyblanks are X217 which cross-references to TR47

Add Duplicate Key-
    Requires one working Toyota/Lexus Master Key.
    1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
    2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
    3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF, five times
    4. Open and close the drivers side door six times.
    5. Remove the Master key and insert the new duplicate keys.
    6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON.
    7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The theft
    light on the dashboard will go out, indicating that program-
    ming has been completed.

2. Feb 5, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Couldn't tell ya... give it a shot and let us know... :D

3. Feb 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    ballon78

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    no one has had to get a new key??

4. Feb 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    Don't remove the key, and you'll never not know where it is! Solution found!:D

In all actuality, I have yet to hear of anyone programming one themselves.
    Be it the dealer not selling the key or an eBay key that looks identical, but didn't have the chip.

Talking about key's reminds me of when I traded in my 97 Tacoma. The dealer asked me to bring in the key for them and I told them I couldn't because it was corroded into the cylinder. I never removed the key for the whole 6 years I owned it. They looked at me like I was being a jerk to them. I was a jerk through the whole negotiating crap they pull with the add on this fee here, that fee there crap, but I seriously couldn't remove it. So as I was driving my new one off the lot, I saw the Tech guy wrenching on it with a pliers or some tool. The whole vehicle was rocking he was pulling so hard. I guess I got the last laugh!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Feb 9, 2009 at 4:11 AM
    jshaw

jshaw Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    S.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport White
    UWS black tool box, ScanGuage with Blend Mount, Rear AAL with 5100's all around,Total Chaos UCA's, Firestone air bags, BHLM with HID's
    Did you ever try programming your key?

6. Feb 9, 2009 at 4:39 AM
    ballon78

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    Nope, never got any confirmation that it would work, i have a black key and a grey key and i may just put the grey key under the dash for the remote starter and just use one key, dont want to turn this into a 100.00 key.

7. Feb 9, 2009 at 5:48 AM
    jshaw

jshaw Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    S.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport White
    UWS black tool box, ScanGuage with Blend Mount, Rear AAL with 5100's all around,Total Chaos UCA's, Firestone air bags, BHLM with HID's
    I know what you mean about the $100 key. I am in the same boat and really hate to spend that much on a key. Are you saying with the remote start, that once you start it you can use a non-programmed key in the ignition? I am planning to add a remote to my truck in the near future since I had it installed on my previous 2 vehicles and it will really spoil you.

8. Feb 9, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    ballon78

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    Im going to ask my installer about that, i was thinking the same thing and in that case then i dont need a 3rd key ill just put the valet key under the dash and use a non chipped or my black key to start truck. I could really car less about losing the sercuity function and having a chipped key under there...Where i live nobody steals trucks...and if they do then insurance will cover it. Ill talk to him this week and ask.

9. Feb 10, 2009 at 3:26 AM
    jshaw

jshaw Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    S.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport White
    I talked to the installer who did my last two. He said a non-chipped key will work on some vehicles with the remote start but not all. He would have to look at my ignition to know for sure. The bad part is that you have to have 2 chipped keys for them to be able to program everything. I guess I will have to spend the $100 to buy another. Its not the money that bothers me, but that much for a key is completely ludacrist to me.

10. Feb 10, 2009 at 3:34 AM
    ballon78

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    you should be able to test yourself. put the chipped key a foot or so from the ign, then put the non chp ki=ey in the truck and see if it starts, should oly cost 1.00 for a new key...i just havent had time to do it....

11. Feb 10, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    I just picked up a key fob and master key on ebay for like $25 shipped.

www.keylessforless.com

I just need to go get the key cut then program it, they include free programing instructions also.. Not sure if they work or not though

12. Feb 24, 2009 at 4:51 AM
    coldsore

coldsore New Member

Member:
    BALLOON you are right on. I had mine done at a locksmith yesterday and that is the procedure they used. Only thing is mine didnt work and they had to apply a computer to reset the computer. It appeared i didnt have the master key which is necessary to reprogram. Save a master key guys, it is necessary later. I thing i would use the Valet key and take a master and put it away.

13. Feb 24, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    ballon78

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    Coldsore...what year is your truck? Is it a gen2, so what your saying is aslong as we have the black master and get a chipped one made we can program it useing the info above that i posted? Did you see the locksmith useing the ecact same procedure as the one above? thanks

14. Mar 14, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
  15. Dec 13, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    the_punisher

the_punisher New Member

Member:
    tulsa
    Vehicle:
    ?
    i got a remote with an uncut key in it. The instructions they included worked for me.

16. Dec 13, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    I think this programming procedure is for the 1st generations.

17. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I don't think that procedure works. I remember someone trying it a few years back and it didn't work for them.

As for the remote starter question, the installation of my remote starter included the chip from the valet key be placed underneath the dash in a small bypass module. I had a regular metal, non chipped key cut and tried to start the truck but no go. Immobilizer is still active with my install. Apparently the valet chip inside the bypass module is far enough away from the ignition to not allow any non chipped keys to start it. When the remote start is triggered however, the module transmits the chips signal to the appropriate place and the truck starts as it is fooled into believing the chipped key is in the ignition.

This was how it was described to me anyways, more or less...

18. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    doodle_cakes

doodle_cakes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco SR5 5lugger
    this is relevant to me...

Anyone know how much it costs for a replacement key + remote for keyless entry?

Fucking friend who I bought the truck from sold it to me, I signed all the paper work then he gave me one key + remote and just one key no remote and then tells me "oh sorry dude I lost the other one..."

19. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Replacement key varies from dealer to dealer. Some of the more modern locksmiths around are able to program the chipped keys as well, no doubt cheaper than the dealer.

As for the key fob, they can be found on Ebay, then search for the programming procedure and have at it.

20. Dec 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    bsenright

bsenright New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kennesaw, GA
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I tried it for a 2007 taco but didn't work. Called around to locksmiths and they said it has to be programmed and that a dealer can do it cheaper than them as long as I have the master. Called around to dealers and I was amazed at the 3 different prices I got. First one was $30 and no appointment needed. Second one was $100 and had to have an appointment. Third one was $50 and had to have an appointment and they require me purchase a key from them and they would cut it which was an additional $47 Well, I already had a cut key so went straight to the $30 place.

The funny thing is, when I got there and checked in the guy told me $45. I told him I was told $30. He went back and checked with someone and came back to tell me $35 and that he was confused and that the other person just misquoted me. A likely story. Got it done though within 30 mins.

Products Discussed in

To Top