1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is This LEGAL?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by silverback, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Dec 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    silverback

silverback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    Well looks like this might be legal up to a technical point, but morally many dealerships have told me that they wouldnt charge their customers for back tags and just tell them in 4 months your going to have to pay your registration. This would have been fine with me but I didnt get that treatment I was forced to pay the back tags and the upcoming tags. I compare it to me moving in an apartment where the last resident didnt pay his electricity bill for 9 months and for me to get it turned on I have to pay his first then my deposit. Either way this should be turned over to the attorney general for re-consideration on behalf of the consumer.

2. Dec 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    The Shape

The Shape Well-Known Member

Member:
    Forrest City, AR
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab A/T 4banger
    I am not sure why you would need tags on a car while it is on a lot? In Arkansas you could buy a new truck, pay sales tax and stick it in your garage for three years without buying tags and then when you buy tags it would be the same price as if you bought them the first day you owned the truck. Why would you have to pay registration fees on a truck you aren't driving.

3. Dec 5, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Might be a state thing here. In PA if you want tags, you need proof of insurance. Cars on the dealer lots don't have tags. They will put a dealer tag on one if you wish to test drive it. When you purchase the vehicle, you can either transfer an existing tag or purchase a new one which again requires a proof of insurance. And you don't have to pay registration fees for a vehicle that is not on the road.

4. Dec 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Seems like we have a good thing going with the registration in PA. I never new other states charged so much. PA's safety and emission inspections every year suck though. I think Florida doesn't even have inspection.

5. Dec 5, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I don't have emissions where I live. :D

6. Dec 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    copernicus

copernicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida got rid of inspections about 10 years ago.

7. Dec 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    silverback

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.

Im not sure whats being said here. I do agree with the last sentence. I should not have to pay for the tags while it was sitting on their lot. Thats my whole point. I should pay for registration only from the first day I bought the truck forward. Im beating a dead horse here. I got screwed and will see what the better business bureau says about it.

8. Dec 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    What does your local DMV say? They would know the law.

9. Dec 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    Hell yea some of these people paying over $300 to register their trucks. Also paying for a car you don't drive anymore and having to owe back registration fees, thats just insane.

10. Dec 8, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    to the OP what state do you live in? here is alabama they go by your last name that registered on the vehicle. my last name starts with a b. my tags are due for a renewal in feb. every year. it differs by last name in AL anyways. A is jan. b-?? is feb. and so on and so on... so check with your local DMV and find out.

11. Dec 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    silverback

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    Well to lay this thread to rest, turns out its up to the dealership if they want to make you pay for late tags. Most dealerships I had talked to say that they would pay to have the tags current and not charge their customers the late registration on top of the upcoming new registration that would be do a few months later. Just shows some dealerships are shady and some arent. I have learned a very valuable lesson LOOK at the damn tags and if their expired ask them about this before you buy. Thankyou fellas for all your input. Also makes me realize living in CA is really not worth all the extra BS. Time to head east.

12. Dec 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i ran into the same deal with my f350. i had commercial tags though, an those renew in December regardless of when you buy. So they all pretty much have new tags for Jan.

I believe that reg tags renew the month they were done a year later. i could be wrong though, i never really pay attention to this stuff. I just suck it up and pay it. it suck that this crap is so expensive

13. Dec 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    mb_edgar

mb_edgar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan Beach
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road Pack
    6000k headlights and fog lights, L.E.D lightning all around, satoshi grill, hella 5100's behind the grill, pnasonic in dash, dual fosgates ps3's behind back seat, powder coated back bumper.
    being that I have worked at dealerships all my life Including several toyota dealerships I say that you already paid for the registration there is a temp. Reg on your window you will be fine with that sticker for three months but you should get the reg and stickers in the mail from dmv you don't have to do anything enjoy your new truck

14. Dec 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    i thought it was bad when i got the registration for my 09. 467 bucks, i about shit when i saw it.

Products Discussed in

To Top