1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this the only steel rear bumper BSM compatible?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by sgmstr, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:13 AM
    sgmstr

sgmstr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grindstone[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    None really. It’s 100 pieces of plastic

3. Mar 19, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    vecdran

vecdran Barely-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Super White 6MT
    Financial Black Hole
    I take it you don't have a bed cap. It really kills the ability to directly check your blind spot. Why not use the easy, convenient yellow light in my side view?

Intrepid and Taco_Cabal like this.
  4. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:55 PM
    Link master

Link master Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma inferno trd off road dcsb
    Arb summit bumper. Morimoto led headlights and new grill. Grill and lights have sequential turn signals.
    My daily driver has 18 wheels and a 53 foot long trailer, we learn to use something called mirrors :cool:.
    After 2 million miles in the north east states and the crap hole of nyc/ long island one learns to look and change lanes carefully o_O.
    As for backing up, the camera helps a lot.:devil:

Slick Taco likes this.
  5. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:20 PM
    Alnmike

Alnmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '21 4R
    Back when I never drove a semi, I always backed out of spots in parking lots.....

Its for more than changing lanes on the highway. It also has wider detection than backup cameras.

I also guarantee that's its going to be a federally mandated safety system in the future.

Only time it's been super useful is when some ass jack decided that he reallllllly needed to be in the lane I was merging into, even though he was behind far enough to absolutely see my turn signals.

Grindstone likes this.
  6. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:22 PM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
    The assumption being that we "need" BSM. No, if you need it, you shouldn't be driving anything more dangerous than a Tyco RC car.

Anyway, OP's question resolved, let us commence with the bullshit.

*Chest-thumping statement about how we didn't have nanny safety features back in 'my day' and I still don't need them, while completely ignoring survivorship bias*

7. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:25 PM
    DR TACO

DR TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Fort Mohave
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Pro grille, POD lights, SEMA wheels.
    They work, as does the rear sensor when people drive, or walk behind you.

8. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    jmauvais

jmauvais Received 2 votes in a poll one time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    ...stuff
  9. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    Alnmike

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '21 4R
    I recommend everyone check out the wiki for survivorship bias.
    Aircraft section is really cool. Also I lol'd at this:
    "This creates a false public perception that anyone can achieve great things if they have the ability and make the effort."

But OP: short answer. No one has a marketable product yet. I have reasons why I personally think this is the case, and it's counter intuitive to people who are used to making things as strong as possible (good for steel armor in general, but maybe bad for a little radar box kit electronic thingy).

10. Mar 19, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    sgmstr

sgmstr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nothing wrong with using BSM if you have one and if it works for you. BSM also has RCTA which def helps also when pulling out of parking lot. it's an added safety.

The real reason I want steel bumper is not b/c I offroad, but spending most of my life in Southern California LA, have been rear ended handful of times. I'm just sick and tired of dealing with insurance and body shop how it should be fixed and I want OEM replacement... not to mention driving in a rental car... and diminished value of vehicle. At least in a mild rear-end collision, I no longer need to deal with the BS.

Maybe it's not that marketable after all.. steel bumpers are mainly to give you protection while offroading... I agree.

11. Mar 20, 2020 at 12:03 AM
    Alnmike

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '21 4R
    Oh, no. It's marketable as hell. The future is BSM. With the amount of new tacomas they're selling, I expect there to be more BSM equipped 3rd gen tacos than non soon. And a lot of those people want to offroad/not spend days in rentals over fender enders.

The problem is its hard to make a bumper that works with it, without the system going out of alignment and having the dealer charge $800 to reset it, only for it to go back out of alignment a month later, etc.

Now if Toyota realizes this and puts it in the taillight like jeep..... But I can't see them changing it until 4th gen. It was kinda tacked onto this gen anyway, and far as I know it was just added to an empty spot under the bumper, easy.

Grindstone likes this.
  12. Mar 20, 2020 at 12:30 AM
    DR TACO

DR TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Fort Mohave
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Pro grille, POD lights, SEMA wheels.
  13. Mar 25, 2020 at 4:26 PM
    C4 Fabrication

C4 Fabrication Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB Sport
    2" lift, 285/70/17 BFG TA KO2's, baja bumper, bedrack with swing out, CVT RTT, Leather interior, heated seats, JBL, remote start, K&N intake, Hood Scoop LED lightbar mod.
    Sorry we don't offer the Tacoma rear bumper with the BSM support anymore, only the high clearance rear bumper is available and does not support the BSM.

14. Sep 29, 2021 at 4:25 PM
    EOD Guy

EOD Guy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    I installed a new after market bumper and I was successful in relocating the BSM sensors into where the backup lights used to be. Hacked out the old reflector built up the area with JB Weld and mounted the sensors 90 degrees form stock orientation. Bought some pig tails off fleabay made some extension harnesses and everything seems to work correctly. Going to test it with a buddy driving behind me and see if it works like it should......... fingers crossed.

15. Sep 29, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    Uh... photos?

Are you saying you put these in the tail light reverse bucket?

Criera, shakerhood and Skydvrr like this.
  16. Sep 29, 2021 at 5:16 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    I was hoping someone would try that some day. Definitely need to see some photos.

17. Sep 29, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    Crosbaugh

Crosbaugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    The 4 Wheel Parts rear bumper advertises compatibility with BSM, as long as you don't get the swingouts.

Borracho Loco likes this.
  18. Sep 29, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My truck identifies as a Prius.

Member:
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue - Tacoma TRD Offroad DCSB
    Oh look, another mod....
  19. Sep 30, 2021 at 6:39 PM
    EOD Guy

EOD Guy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    So my test was a go! The sensors work like they did before, even though I rotated them 90 degrees. I purchased the Tyger Fury bumper Amazon.com: Tyger Auto TG-BP9T80198 Tyger Fury Rear Bumper Assembly Textured Black Compatible with 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma : Automotive. I installed some LED lights in the grill area as Reverse lights. I purchased some OEM tail lights from Feabay, as I didn't want to ruin the stock ones if this didn't work. I cut the mounting tabs off flush on the BSM Sensors. I eyeballed the best angle on the reverse light reflector in an attempt to mimic the stock angle of the sensor and heated a knife up with a torch and basically cut the reflector out, roughly along my eyeballed angle. I hacked out the area until the sensor was lying at my best angle but would still fit within the confines of the taillight mounting pins/screw hole/posts, I wrapped Alum Foil around the sensor and filled the taillight mounting post voids (which were getting flimsy at this point) with JB Weld. after that setup I added more JB weld to those area and pressed the sensors into the JB Weld and basically molded a 1/2 shelf on each side of the sensor. I made some steel straps that would secure the sensorsto the taillights etc...... I used some 1/4 allen bolts and bolted them to my straps with 1/4 rivet nut inserts. I added yet more JB Weld into the factory voids, placed the sensor with the strap/screws/rivet nuts and pressed the the nuts into the JB Weld. After that set up I basically filled the open areas in with thin sheets of plastic (trying to prevent dirt and moisture from entering the tail light assembly) the I sealed all the seams with RTV. 1st one looks like a hot mess as I cut way too much when I hacked out the light area. The other side is a much neater job as I had an idea on how much to cut out. I was worried about the remaining lens area interfering with the sensors but it seams to be ok. I had to leave the reverse light bulb plugged in (just dangling in air) to get the dash fault light to go out. I plan on measuring the resistance on the bulb and install a resistor instead of the bulb. When I do the stock set of taillights, I'll try and remember to take some measurements and pictures. I plan on milling them so they should come out with minimum areas that will need to be sealed. What would be ideal would have some 3D printed adapters, where one could hack out the light and place the sensor in the 3D adapter and glue in place......... I don't have a printer sooooo there's that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    SlizzyMcSlizFace and Intrepid like this.
  20. Sep 30, 2021 at 6:46 PM
    nhpoke

nhpoke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    nh
    Vehicle:
    21 DCLB OR AG

Products Discussed in

To Top