1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

is this V6 running hot?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CHUCK W, May 17, 2017.

1. May 25, 2017 at 10:14 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Truth

2. May 26, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    jessandjamie

jessandjamie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    You are aware that just because the gear selector is in D doesn't mean he's in 5th gear. Look at the RPM's, he's probably in 4th with the torque convertor unlocked. That's the real problem. If anything he probably should have dropped to 3rd so it would lock and drop the trans temp. The torque convertor being unlocked is where the heat is coming from.

3. May 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    Hoyle

Hoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cookeville TN.
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 Black
    A lot of stuff.
    Yes, I was in 4th.. out of habit it goes into drive.. I did all my towing in 4th... so it was in 4th during this photo... I actually put a Sticky Post-it on my dash to remind me when I have the trailer to use 4th ...

Alexely999 likes this.
  4. May 26, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    iwashmycar

iwashmycar a lot

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Lewis Center, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ 4x4 AT
    33's | 3" | skids | rails | dent | CB | lights | dingus
    In my FJ with the UG, I sometimes see 186, but almost always its 192 or 194.

5. May 26, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    I see 186 a lot, but as it gets warmer outside I start to see 190° to 194°. I don't think I've ever seen it climb above 196°. I always thought 240° was as high as you can go without warping the head... is that anywhere close, @Torspd ?

6. May 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    That'd be correct.

Concrete jungle traffic. Freeway baking in the sun for hours, then toe - jam traffic. You'll watch those numbers get up there.

Owners with grills which have small perforations(which does restrict air flow), additional coolers, or other devices blocking air flow, will also see increased coolant temps.

The diversion panel will help force air through the rad, https://www.bpfabricating.com/products/05-11-toyota-tacoma-cooling-panel

Relative to its cousin, the 4Runner, the Tacoma is lacking a significant amount of ducting to force the air through. All aspects of the afore mentioned can contribute to higher coolant temps, most noticeably in the summer months.

clinteastside likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top