1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this what you call "axle wrap?"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PropJet, May 3, 2009.

1. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    flyingface

flyingface Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Soon....
    So how can you tell if the lurching at a stop sign is axle wrap or downshifting? I think mine downshifts because the RPMs surge maybe 50 rpm or so...kinda like the AC compressor turning off...

2. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Not always. I found it can also be the truck shifting into first gear.

3. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    No. When comming to a stop. after about 2 seconds, I feel the truck shift. In fact, all the Tacomas with autos I have been in have done this. Toyota themselves have said its shifting into first, and PM had an article about the Toyota tranny, and how it does this. Yes, the AC compressor can cause it as well, as it will on any vehicle with an auto, Im just saying that many people will feel when comming to a stop, and its not always the compressor cycling.

4. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    flyingface

flyingface Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Soon....
    Please do, as I am not the typical "idiot" that blames it on the AC compressor because the compressor sometimes shuts off 10-15 seconds after this lurch occurs, which means that it's not the compressor....
    :rolleyes:

5. Aug 3, 2009 at 12:28 AM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    I have a 2007 double cab short bed with a 6inch pro comp lift...I have had this issue from day 1...intermittent clunk from the rear end...hard to duplicate...some days it always happens some days never...both when comming to a stop and upon acceleration. I complained to the dealer numerous times....they claim they cant duplicate it...then they said it was the slip yoke that needed lubrication. Im not convinced. Can someone please tell me what the heck an AAL is....also would traction bars help solve this issue? I have over 40k into my truck and am almost wishing I was driving a dodge with the cummins!

6. Aug 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    ok ok sorry Its just that I have a semi built 73 dodge and really like the power of the turbo diesels in the newer dodges...have you ever heard of KORE racing...ran baja in a full size dodge, won and drove home. Anyway....so are you saying forget speding 500 bucks on a pro comp track bar set up and spend the money on a deaver 10 pack? I will admit that when it comes to part I am 80% performance and 20% looks...and that 20% tells me the track bars look sick... but I have read it limits articulation and could get you hung up on stuff...If you buy deavers does it eliminate the block and keep you at the lifted ride height? how much nicer are deavers than the leaf packs I am running in the rear now? just so you know I am running the pro comp MX6-R resivor shocks

7. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    im gunna chime in here, I have an auto v6 2WD pre runner and I replaced my leafs to a deaver 10 pack. I still have this "clunk" when I stop hard then again when I drive off. I don't have this slip joint in my drive shaft like the 4x4's and I did check it for play (all is tight)
    not sure if it is still axle wrap, (same problem as stock leafs)
    I do kinda relieve some of the 'pressure' when I have to stop hard but it still clunks when I stop and take off. I was thinking it may even be the rear brakes sticking, im gunna check them out this week.

so, it's not my drive shaft slip joint (don't have one) probly not my leafs, they have been replaced. It could be the tranny I suppose, but im way out of warranty so I really don't want to open that can of worms yet.

any ideas? maybe I could get a camera under there to see whats really going on.

8. Aug 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    Glad I found this thread. My 20005 just started making the clunk here in the last couple months. I wondering if the the u-bolt flip kit I put on is contributing to the issue. So what actually resolves the clunk.....the right way? Can I install shims with the flip kit installed?

9. Dec 30, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    Older thread with a lot of details regarding the OP's possible problem, but a lot of confusion as well. His described problem is not axle wrap (aka wheel hop), is due to the rear leaf springs winding up and bouncing back.

You will only see axle hop when launching hard from a stop, or accelerating too hard in the rain, etc. Basically only when you are applying more torque then the tires/ground can sustain.

Axle wrap/wheelhop is very noticeable in the sense that the truck will bounce violently.

10. Dec 30, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    awsumdc

awsumdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff

Disagree,

Axle wrap is just what the name implies and it happens because of the amount of torque that is applied to the rear wheels when they are suspended by leaf springs. Wheel hop and axle wrap are not one in the same.

I have a extremely modified truck with loads of torque going to the rear wheels in my lowest gear. At one point before I put my trac bar on I had severe axle wrap. Enough to break the ujoint at the rear diff. And that was going extra, extra slow. No wheel hop at all. Now with this installed there is absolutely no axle wrap at all no matter what gear I'm in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My truck has a crawl ratio of 237:1 where a stock 4x4 Tacoma is at around 29:1. LOADS of torque being sent to the wheels.

What everyone is experiencing is the axle wrapping or twisting on it's axis. You wont see this on a linked truck because the top link or links will stop the axle from rotating. Just that simple.

11. Dec 30, 2009 at 6:17 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    You are right in the sense they are not the same. Wheel hop is a result of axle wrap.

The pinion angle is going to change when the axle is rotating. The axle rotates when the torque at the wheels is strong enough to twist the leaf springs and axle (axle wrap), in which the leaf springs will bounce back (design quality of a spring), causing wheel hop.

Wheel hop is the direct result of axle wrap. Preventing axle wrap will prevent wheel hop. Controlling wheel hop won't necessarily prevent axle wrap. A well designed set of shocks will eliminate wheel hop, but won't do anything to control axle wrap.

Now in the case you provided, i can see where that constant torque being applied can wind up the springs and hold them (no wheel hop) to the point of breaking the u-joint without wheelhop. As once that joint broke, the load is released, the springs snap back into place.. no hop.

In the OPs description of the issue, he is also getting this 'problem' when slowing down. Unless he is stomping on the brakes (and his tires and brakes are amazing) to the point of causing axle wrap, I really don't believe that is his problem.

12. Dec 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone running stock tires with the tsb and the aal? Just a theory, but is it possible that larger tires are not helping this "Bump/Thump" people (& myself) feel when releasing the brake at a light?

I already did the aal and still the same, but I'm also running 265/70/17's (beefier BFG A/T tires in comparison to the Dunlop.

13. Dec 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    I was getting what I thought was axle wrap, even after getting deaver leafs. Little thump after takeoff from a hard stop. It went away for a while when I had my tranny serviced, but now and then I feel it(less than 10k miles from service). I bet it's the slip yoke(on the autos the slip is at the transmission, not the driveshaft like the manuals. and there isn't a way to lube it, besides whatever goes on in the trans.

the surge or whatever it is that people feel when coming to a stop could be shifting to 1st, the a/c kicking . I don't notice it that much now, just get your brakes bled/replaced and it wont bother you.

14. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Sorry to jump in so late in the conversation but you're saying you had your tranny serviced and it still does it? Did the tranny service help at all? Mine did it really bad but i tightened the upper arm bushings and noticed it got better but still does it a lot. Im thinking about having AAMCO Service my tranny but taco's rarely have issues with tranny's.

15. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    r u sure this isn't just gas sloshing around in the gas tank?

16. Feb 4, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    awsumdc

awsumdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff

Yes.

17. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I am a tech and specialize in diagnosis. The OP would have me looking at the slip yoke first. Very common issue on first gen Tacoma as well. They would start doing it at about 5k miles and then the lubrication of the splines would make it go away by the second or third stop. Customers would laugh about it after they understood the issue. They would say it was like an automatic oil change reminder! It was always an automatic that did it. Think about the splines. With no twist on them (like a clutched in manual) they could float easier and were unlikely to have the symptom. With the auto always having a little twist on the splines they were most likely to bind just a bit. The pinion would actually be held DOWN just a bit after braking and the front wheel would help hold this position once stopped. Let your foot off the brake, the front wheels move forward, the pressure is off the drive-line and the diff rocks back to center.

I will look at my new truck today and if it is not greasable at the slip it will be after the 5k service!

18. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    My truck is at 80k... How would i grease the slip? To be honest I dont even know what/where the slip is?

19. May 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Wow...this thread got me looking 'cause I had already noticed judder when I let off brakes after a stop (I have an auto DC 4x4, '07), and under sudden moderate acceleration. I don't know if it's axle wrap..or maybe a binding in a spline?

My truck's only got 17K on it, and this isn't very pronounced and certainly not a clunk.

At any rate...it got me wondering how a sway bar would affect either one since I'm thinking on getting one. It bolts solid to the axle (with urethane bushings, of course)and the "arms" attach to the frame with long links (bushings again). The axle is free to move up and down unrestricted, the bar rotating about the links. But if the axle tried to rotate I think it would tend to tug or push at each of the links.

Would the bar manage to control the wrap or binding? make it worse? or do the urethane bushings allow enough slop that basically nothing would happen different. OR...worse case...it will wind up breaking the end links (can't imagine anything less than a locomotive breaking the 1 1/2 inch bar).

This is the Hellwig bar, designed for the '05+ Tacoma 4x4. (I know...it messes with rear articulation, but it's real easy to disconnect the links if I wanted to go serious 4-wheeling).

Thanks a lot...more information about my new truck!

20. May 3, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Thanks for the info...which ends of the shafts have the slip spline? I have a double cab 4x4.

Also, how do you make it 'greasable'? Does that means putting a zerk in it? Does it have to be drilled and tapped to set one? or is there a plug?

Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top