1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is Toyota's "fix" for the accelerator pedals going to work?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lennard Jones, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Feb 13, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    Lennard Jones

Lennard Jones [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab 4WD TRD Off-Road
    I keep reading about how the recall fix for the accelerator pedals involves placing a "spacer" or some other mechanical component in the pedal assembly to keep it from sticking. However, many people seem to think that from reading accident reports the evidence points to the problem being a computer software issue. If that's the case, it seems to me that the true fix should involve a firmware update or some other effective replacement of the current software controlling the accelerator.

Does anyone else think this is the case and that Toyota is going to have to recall all these vehicles again when the real problem surfaces?

Also, in relation to the Tacomas, did the floor mat recall actually fix anything? Or was this another example of Toyota scratching its head and not knowing what the actual problem was?

To summarize the questions ... do you think that the accelerator pedal-stick problem is a general computer issue affecting many or all Toyota models including the Tacoma, and that this will eventually result in another mass recall that includes the Tacoma?

2. Feb 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Welcome to the board- You could probably have posted up some sort of introduction before diving right into the recall problem...and there are a TON of other threads about this.

Only time will tell as the company/gov't investigate further and figure out what is going on.... So your guess is as good as anyone elses.

3. Feb 13, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Do I think it's throttle by wire? No. Toyota runs a dual sensor system that requires redundancy between the two sensors to determine the throttle position. If one or both sensors differ from each other the throttle is almost completely disabled so that the car can be "limped" home or to a dealer.

For the throttle by wire system to go crazy both sensors would have to detect that the pedal is being depressed and "stick" in that position.

4. Feb 13, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    maybe it IS a software problem, they don't want to admit it, and will fix the code while the car's pedal is getting worked on!

5. Feb 13, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Aye! A conspiracy! I like it. :thumbsup:

6. Feb 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    tussery

tussery Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Magnaflow muffler, TRD CAI.
    If it was a software problem you would be able to re-create the issue in every vehicle running that variant of the FBW software. Since it is limited to so few vehicles it is easy to say it is a QC issue.

7. Feb 13, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    There sure seems to be alot of people pointing their fingers in different directions. Like already mentioned, time will tell. With all the different reports of how this problem arises (while at a dead stop, while driving, when the cruise control is engaged) it kinda makes you wonder...

8. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The last time I heard...the Tacoma is not included in the pedal recall.
    The tacoma has a different pedal assembly than their other vehicles.

9. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    I thought I read somewhere that the Tacoma finally fell under the recal. It was posted on here and had a link to a news website I think. Ill see if I can dig it up.

10. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Ok. Maybe it hasnt sorry about the last post. And my guess is that its in the software.

11. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i heard it was a guide pin in the pedal assembly thats keeps the return spring straight

12. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

Wouldn't it be easier just to admit it's a software problem and just reflash the ECU ? They're doing that with the 2010s transmission ECU, would be a lot cheaper and faster.

13. Feb 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I think the problem is major league baseball satellites beaming mind controll rays to earth.

[​IMG]

14. Feb 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab

I got a letter stating that the Tacoma is included and they will reshape my pedal for me.

15. Feb 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    tammikm

tammikm Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
    thats for the floor mat recall not the sticking pedal recall totally different

Tacomas are not involved in the recent recalls, I got a letter as well about the re shaping. its a different recall all together.

no worries

16. Feb 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    I believe its a different type of pedal fix. The Tacoma one is an issue with the floor mats and the pedal being too long. The other issues is with the pedal going back to its normal spot, which is why a shim is needed. There is a site you can check to see if your vehicle is affected. For instance, the Corolla's that have a vin beginning with a J are not affected.

EDIT: Damn I'm slow... beat by 3 minutes

17. Feb 13, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've looked for more info on the throttle sensor--do you have a source for details of its operation? Is it two identical sensors in the pedal assembly, or is it two different types (potentiometer and optical, for example)?

18. Feb 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    You may recall that when the F22 Raptor made its first flight across the International Date Line, a lot of the on-board computers went berzerk and shut down. Programming error buried in the control code.

The problem with computer program errors is that it can be a very specific set of circumstances under which it occurs, and if you don't precisely replicate the circumstances you might not catch it.

19. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    sorry, I just assumed them reshaping my pedal would be due to the rapid acceleration. my bad

20. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    tussery

tussery Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Magnaflow muffler, TRD CAI.

Products Discussed in

To Top