1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Isn't it a pain when you get a flat and it's not repairable?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tacomadude89, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Mar 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    On my way home from work yesterday I ended up getting a flat. I was right in the middle of changing lanes on the freeway when I heard the distinct "pop" and I was ahhhh you gotta be kidding me, but I hoped for the best. About a mile or so longer I could feel the backside of the truck start sagging down ever so slowely and get squishy. Crap, so I safely got off the freeway and yup, and had total flat tire as can be, but luckley the rim was pefectly A-OK. A bi and I mean KNARLY staple was protuding through it. Called AAA as I am not comfortable using the tiny little jacks that come with standard with vehicles to have them help me swap on the spare and I was good to go.

I took the tire in today to get it patched up but they said it's not repairable. What sucks is that these tires had/have quite a bit of life left in them, 75-80%, and they are a nice tire too, Geolander A/T-S's. My plan was to put them all up for sale very soon to offset the cost a little to buy a new set of larger tires once I got the lift installed. Now I only got a good set of three and who's gonna wanna by three??:mad:

Sigh.

2. Mar 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Yeah that sucks.

3. Mar 26, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    ARE Z-Series Topper, OME 885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports; TRD Quickshifter; TRD Exhaust; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; MetalMiller TRD Skid; jsi's Locker Anytime & ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades (RallyLights Harnesses, Osram 85/80W H4 & Flösser 90W H11 Bulbs); ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod; Interior & Reverse LEDs; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Foam Insulation; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Toyota Bed Extender; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    That definitely sucks! It's also why I spring for a tire protection plan when I buy new tires. I'm sure all aren't created equal, but the ones I have (on all three vehicles in the family) include "free" balance/rotation for the life of the tires and pro-rated road hazard replacement, all for less than $100. I don't think twice about having my tires balance/rotated about every 5K miles, and the plans more than pay for themselves if you end up replacing a single tire.

While it doesn't "solve" your desire upgrade, it saves you from buying a new tire, only to sell it at a discount...

4. Mar 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    chilidogrc

chilidogrc Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodrigo
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 AC Sport 4x4
    King RR Coilovers, FM 40, Allpro rear bumper, OME Dakar leafs, rear 5100's, Snugtop Rebel shell, Treadwright tires, Allpro apex front plate bumper, triple hella 700's, Blacked out headlights, CF hood, weathertech floor mats
    Sell them as spares. Pics of the punctured tire?

5. Mar 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    Didn't you buy some type of warranty? discount tire or America's tire sells a road hazard warranty and they replace them for free or repair it. Maybe buy your next set from them to avoid this hassle?

6. Mar 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Try getting a flat and having to buy a whole set of tires. Yeah, that was awesome.

7. Mar 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    I always get the road hazard protections plan when I buy tires. Question, why didn't you pull over right away when you heard the pop coming from the tire, that might have saved the tire. I personally always carry a jack I am comfortable to change a tire, I have AAA, but it is not worth the wait most of the time, when I can change the tire in about 10 - 15 minutes.

8. Mar 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    chopper

chopper ky taco

Member:
    First Name:
    chop
    stanton,kentucky
    Vehicle:
    05 taco reg cab 4x4
    dura tracs, debadged, weathertech floormats, removed mudflaps,black paint wheels,k&n air intake.
    :rofl:try getting road spiked by the law

9. Mar 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Plug it yourself

10. Mar 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    chilidogrc

chilidogrc Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodrigo
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 AC Sport 4x4
    King RR Coilovers, FM 40, Allpro rear bumper, OME Dakar leafs, rear 5100's, Snugtop Rebel shell, Treadwright tires, Allpro apex front plate bumper, triple hella 700's, Blacked out headlights, CF hood, weathertech floor mats
    X2. You can get a DIY plug kit at most any auto parts store. Easy to do.

11. Mar 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    tint, dents, scratches, two blown speakers and trying to pay her off...
    damn how bad was it? what actually got it? i got a nail my left front last week, got it plugged. buy the end of the week it was sagging and leaking out the spot where he plugged it so i took it in and they patched it for me, no problems now. . . . obviously i know all tires are different but i'd like to see/know what did that much damage.

12. Mar 26, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    Just a big old thick staple is what it was, the damage was already done. No pics.

These tires are what were on the truck when I bought it, so I did not purchase them.

I got off at the very next exit to pull off, there was nothing I could do. As I said, the damage was already done.

To Top