1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ISO: Tonneau Brackets for Rack (Possible fabrication?)

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by snozberries, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:08 AM.

1. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    snozberries

snozberries [OP] is forever trying to find a campsite

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand
    265/75/16 Wildpeak AT3W, TRD Pro Grille
    Heyo!

I just got my KB VooDoo rack from a fellow member as well as tonneau brackets. Unfortunately I am missing the top portion that attaches to the rack. The one it came with would work without a tonneau cover. If I rotate the bracket 180 degrees, it doesn't seem like it would support it properly and hangs over the side of the bed quite a bit.

I'm hoping someone nearby either has the brackets that I could buy or possibly fabricate them. Originally I was just going to buy them from Chad over at KB, but he said the new style won't work with the older rack.

Local to 94553, but willing to drive.

bed rack assembly 1.jpg bed rack assembly 2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 7:17 AM
  2. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Placer County, State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB TRD Locked 4WD & '13 DCSB Sport 4WD
    18"x9" XD Monster 285/65/18 KO2 Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR AntennaX Off-Road (13-inch) Antenna Morimoto 3157 CK Switchbacks - REMOVED Noname Switchback LEDs KB VooDoo mid-height shortbed rack Smittybilt Overlander RTT X-BULL Recovery Tracks OEM Bed Mat Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Amp Research HD Max Bed X-Tender Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners OEM BedStep (PT392-35100) WeatherTech Floor Liners (F&R) WeatherTech Window Deflectors Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) OEM Roof Rack (stowed for mounting Thule) Thule 78" squarebars ARKSEN 43" Roof Rack basket (Amazon) BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Chinese LED pods, mounted in winch bumper "LIGHT THIS BITCH UP" push-button switch for pods One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate OME HD leaf springs (660#) Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops CaliRaised bed molle panels (both sides) CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights OME 90000 Nitrocharger Front Shocks OME 2886x coils EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker pcoming installs: BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) Items for sale: OEM rear bumper (Black from '15 Sport) OEM tow hitch receiver OEM rear mud flaps (scuffed up, but say 4x4) Bed Step (left rear location - bolts to frame) T.H.R.B. Want to trade: Nothing right now...
    Which portion are you looking for? There are two brackets illustrated; the one that attaches to the rails and rests on the bedsides, and the one that attaches to the rack itself.

3. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    snozberries

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand
    The upper portion, I will edit the OP to clarify.

4. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    18"x9" XD Monster 285/65/18 KO2 Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR AntennaX Off-Road (13-inch) Antenna Morimoto 3157 CK Switchbacks - REMOVED Noname Switchback LEDs KB VooDoo mid-height shortbed rack Smittybilt Overlander RTT X-BULL Recovery Tracks OEM Bed Mat Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Amp Research HD Max Bed X-Tender Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners OEM BedStep (PT392-35100) WeatherTech Floor Liners (F&R) WeatherTech Window Deflectors Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) OEM Roof Rack (stowed for mounting Thule) Thule 78" squarebars ARKSEN 43" Roof Rack basket (Amazon) BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Chinese LED pods, mounted in winch bumper "LIGHT THIS BITCH UP" push-button switch for pods One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate OME HD leaf springs (660#) Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops CaliRaised bed molle panels (both sides) CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights OME 90000 Nitrocharger Front Shocks OME 2886x coils EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker pcoming installs: BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) Items for sale: OEM rear bumper (Black from '15 Sport) OEM tow hitch receiver OEM rear mud flaps (scuffed up, but say 4x4) Bed Step (left rear location - bolts to frame) T.H.R.B. Want to trade: Nothing right now...
    Ahhh, then I am no help to you. Carry on, and good luck.

5. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I wouldn't put any weight on top of that rack those supports or lack thereof will fail.

6. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    snozberries

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand
    The rack in general or with the brackets? I know many people have used them without issue, but with my currently bracket situation, I wouldn't entirely trust it. It is definitely a weak point, but for a while it should work right? I would think more people would speak up if it couldn't support a RTT, etc.

Appreciate your insight! I actually shot you an email about this earlier this morning.

SR-71A likes this.
  7. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    There's been LOTS of debate about the quality and load capacity of these racks, along with pretty much anything made by that vendor.........
    I'm not going to go into detail here, but mine hasn't folded on me yet (it's the mid-height), and I've got an RTT on top, with two traction boards on one side, and a hi-lift on the other.

8. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    snozberries

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand
    HA! I've read plenty about the vendor and know there have been issues, but a member sold this at a decent price and we were wanting something to use with the tonneau cover for security/weather protection. Seriously debating on having someone come and cut 4 slots out of my tonneau cover - once the rack is on, it won't need to removed or anything. Who wants to come butcher it? Would honestly feel much better with the weight on the actual bed rails.

9. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, they're pretty much the only ones that'll make a rack to work around a tonneau (this is why I currently have it), but there's a reason others refuse to do any bracket trickery.
    With that said, it does work to get a rack over the tonneau, but the strength and quality is up to your opinion and experience.

Wvuc3uV7gu4sTn88vdYDe4l6qz4Red19oyvJb_oi_4cba17c3b465495ba208408e84451cd5ed8c1069.jpg

snozberries [OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, dual batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5, CB, GMRS, ditch lights, Icon RXTs...
    Have you seen those brackets for yourself?? They are seriously thick steel.. Obviously dont have it with me, but iirc its something close to 3/16" thick. Highly doubt it would give

11. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

These thin gauge erector set racks should not have RTT's mounted on them it's a a total failure just waiting to happen. If the manufacture is not using at least 11 gauge material the the whole rack the structure is too weak. I'm pretty sure these are 16 gauge maybe 14 and that's pitiful for a rack that's "designed to hold weight"

Anderson likes this.
  12. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    And the rest of the rack is thin sheet metal.

gargamel05 and Anderson like this.
  13. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    SR-71A

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, dual batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5, CB, GMRS, ditch lights, Icon RXTs...
    How many failures can you point to? Like actual photographic evidence? Not "my buddy saw a thing on the gram from some insta bro who said this rack sux"

Not trying to start a flame war here, just seems like this vendor gets a ton of unwarranted flack, specifically on this forum. :notsure:

14. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    snozberries

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand
    I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate the advice/information. I guess for the price and ability to be used with the tonneau cover, it's my call. At this point, I just want to make this work and may just have someone chop 4 slots out of my cover to make it a little more stable without needing the brackets.

SR-71A likes this.
  15. Jun 11, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    SR-71A

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    How did the dude before you have it mounted?

16. Jun 11, 2019 at 8:03 AM
    snozberries

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand
    The guy with the rack just used it without a tonneau cover using the standard mounts supplied with the rack. The guy that I got the brackets from received replacements from KB, but obviously kept the top portion.

SR-71A likes this.
  17. Jun 11, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    Anderson

Anderson Move along, nothing to see here...

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma
    Stuff
    This is not a structurally sound design. Especially with the thin, bolt together concept of the rack.

Please do not put any real weight on this if you follow through with the adapted brackets for your cover.

18. Jun 11, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    snozberries

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand
    I hear ya - hoping someone has the bracket that I need. Otherwise, I need to find someone that can just cut my cover this week. I don't care much if it's butchered at this point.

19. Jun 11, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    theed

theed "Light Offroader"

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 Silver AC TRD OR
    IMG_20171120_125346226_HDR.jpg

Happened to me on one rack, and then the replacement cracked the same way, but I caught it sooner. KBVoodoo gets so much flak here because Chad handled the situation really poorly, blamed customers, blamed wheeling, and then covered the whole thing up by having a friendly mod delete threads without the original poster's permission.

That particular rack has been discontinued, but the problem wasn't that the risers were weak, it was that they weren't rigid enough, so the whole thing flexed left to right and the top corners failed. You be the judge.

20. Jun 11, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    tumblr_m6mcvpKAav1rar0yio1_500[1].jpg

:anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top