1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issues after lift on 2010 DCab 4WD!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by shawns, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    shawns

shawns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    Here is my original post about my truck, lift, tires, etc.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/56798-my-new-2010-dcab-4wd-lifted-255-85-16-a.html

Recap.. 2010 DCab 4wd TRD with Toytec 3" front spacer lift and aal in rear running 255/85/16 Cooper Discoverer tires.

First off noticed the rear shocks were topping out bad. Added 5100 in rear with out the stud extenders and they are still topping out. Guess I should add the extenders.

Also had slight vibration from driveshaft after lift. Nothing terrible but noticeable. Added 3 degree shims from Toytec and seemed to be better until towing my utility trailer with hunting golfcart. Did not get worse with towing before shims. WIll remove shims soon.

I also have the sloppy "wobbly" steering feel when going over small bumps and ruts. Feels like the front left tire is flailing around. I understand it is not, but thats how it feels. Read that its due to slack in the steering shaft. Very disappointed about this if its as common as I've read.

Understand, I only use my truck offroad at my hunting lease. Not out giving it hell or anything. Just traveling around the lease.

Considering doing away with front spacers and rear aal and go with 5100's up front set to around 1.5 or 2 inches up front and go with 1.5 aal in rear. May have to step down on tires size if i do this and go with 265/75/16s.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

2. Dec 16, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    Yeah, I had a spacer lift on my last taco, It was terrible.

1. Git rid of the shims

2. get the front 5100's for $200 & ditch the spacers.

3. thank me tommorow :D

j/k man, sorry you have had such a hard time, It will get better, the 5100's ride great. They are just as good if not better than stock, even while towing. I only have mine at 1.75", but I have no play or wobble in mt steering wheel, it feels plenty solid. Good luck.

3. Dec 16, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB -Empty-

Member:
    I have the wobbly feel in my steering also.
    You need to get aftermarket UCA's (upper control arms) to get the proper alignment.

The 2 brands that I know of are Total Chaos and Light Racing.
    The Total chaos run in the neighbourhood of 700$ and the light racing ones are 500$.
    Fat bobs garage ( fatbobsgarage.com ) is having a sale on the light racing ones for like 390 bucks.

I'm not sure if he sells them for the 2010's though.
    I don't know if the 08/09 uca's will work on the 010's.

Hope this helps.

4. Dec 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB -Empty-

Member:
  5. Dec 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    ummmm.... If its the UCA's you're talking about, you should NOT be 'WOBBLY'. Nothing should EVER be wobbly. Wobbly implies with every rotation of the tire, something is 'moving around'. Is this your case or does it just feel wierd because you're at the top of the caster. I got used to it ages ago and it doesn't bother me, can't justify 700 freakin dollars for UCAs. The cost is just plainly outrageous, sorry they can keep their ripoff prices.

6. Dec 17, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    shawns

shawns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
  7. Dec 17, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Concur with ditch the spacer lift and get the 5100s. Keep aftermarket UCAs in the back of your mind.
    If you have loose steering feel in ruts it's probably your tires tracking the ruts and stuff do too crappy alignment. At a full three inches of lift your alignment is out of spec I'm pretty sure.

8. Dec 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Camburg is another brand for UCA's, go with the uni-ball over stock ball joint if you off road more often.

You can pick up Bilstein 5100 from wheelers for $175 right now.

9. Dec 17, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    ditch the spacers and go 5100's at 1.75 and aal or tsb. You will have a nice level truck without alignment problems.

10. Dec 17, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    09BlkSport

09BlkSport Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    S. Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2009 Black TRD Sport Double Cab
    Front Bilstein 5100's, rear 1" block, Westin Black bull bar, 18% tint all the way around, TRD CAI, (Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf bars on the way)
    The loose feeling is prob due to an alignment issue. The "wobbling" feeling could be a balancing issue with the rims and tires. I just put XD Hoss's and 265/70/17 Michelin LTX A/T 2's on, along with 5100s set at 1.75.

I had it aligned and it fixed the floating problem. But i still had a vibration and shaking problem through the steering wheel. Apparently the guy that installed my wheels and tires didnt balance it properly. I went and it took it some where else and they got it all zero'd out. Rides nice and firm now! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top