1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issues with 1-3" leveling kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SiglinCA, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Aug 12, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    So I am new to Forum but my son turned me onto you sight a year ago. Been busy reading but never had a question till now. My son and I installed a "Low Range 1-3" leveling kit followed by new 17" rims and new tires and she looks great. I followed all that with a clean and paint of the frame and today she will get new running boards/ side steps. The issue we are having is that we have a rhythmic vibration about two days after the lift kit went in. The truck was 4 wheel aligned as part of the rims and tire package but I can't seem to stop the vibration. It is cyclical and is most evident around 40 MPH. The tire dealer said to put the truck in Neutral while rolling down the road to see if the vibration persists and it does. In as much as we lifted the real by 2" the shaft angle to the mid bearing and the differential was changed, could it be the mid bearing? Any Ideas?

2. Aug 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    While in the vibration range, but driving under 55mph, put the truck in 4hi. If the vibration goes away immediately, then I have a solution for you. If not, I have another test for you.

NM Lance likes this.
  3. Aug 12, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    I am at work today but will give it s try on the way home!

4. Aug 12, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    so I tried your test on the way homeseveral times and yes as soon is it kicks into 4 wheel drive the vibration goes away, when I put it back to 2 wheel drive the ocilating vibration returns so you are definaly on to something!

JimboAnz and scottalot like this.
  5. Aug 12, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    hate spell check, you are definitely onto something, look forward to your solution!

6. Aug 12, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    What you're feeling is the needle bearing on the drivers side. ECGS (East Coast Gear Supply) makes a solution for this that a lot of people on here run to eliminate the vibration.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/actual-write-up-of-ecgs-bushing-install.470116/

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8536125-toyota-8-clamshell-bushing-eliminates-needle-bearing.html

7. Aug 12, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    This is it, damn shitty needle bearing. The lift didn't cause the issue, it just brought it to light. It's actually very easy to perform the work, but shouldn't be too expensive to have a reputable shop do the work..

scottalot likes this.
  8. Aug 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
  9. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:42 AM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    Tanks for all the great input, I am encouraged that it will be corrected soon, I looked at the Bushing link that was posted and the kit comes with both Bushings, new seals, and I can purchase the bearing removal tool all which makes a lot of sense. The question I have is, will running the truck cause greater damage, or just allow the bearing to vibrate? Also does it make sense to replace the bearings on both the drivers side and the passenger side at the same time as we will have the Differential drained. I also plan to have my service guys replace the fluid in the Diff as it has 50,000 miles on it, it there any kind of filter and or screen in a front differential like in the main transmission I need to have looked at or replaced? Again thanks for all the information and help!

10. Aug 14, 2017 at 4:20 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    From what I understand, the passenger side doesn't need to be replaced. I have no idea why, but I've never heard of anyone on here replacing it. As far as causing damage, I have no idea. I hope not though since I don't plan on fixing mine for awhile!

11. Aug 14, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    Thanks for the input, I am having the Toyota dealer I bought it from look at it on Wednesday!

scottalot likes this.
  12. Aug 15, 2017 at 3:33 AM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    Thank you for the TSB info! Hopefully it will all be gone tomorrow!

13. Aug 19, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    so the dealer wont touch it unless I take the lift kit off the truck. vibration seems to be getting worse. I think I may try the bushing option people have suggested?

14. Aug 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    nizzmont

nizzmont Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    S.E WA state
    Vehicle:
    2015 doublecab TRD sport
    in progress
    From what I have read that's the only fix for that issue

15. Aug 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    Ok Situation up date, Ordered the bushing, bearing removal tool, bushing install tool and new axil seal. The same contractor that did the tires, rims and allignment installed the bushing per the instructions and supplied video. The bad news is that the vibration is back, and is some ways worse that it was. Again it seems to be rhythmic, seems most prevelant at around 40mph, but is still there at higher speeds. It will go away as soon as I put the truck into 4WD, and returns as soon as we go back to 2WD. when the vibration is there it feels like it is vibrating the whole transfer case? Any Ideas?

16. Aug 27, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    Harvo

Harvo Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    Are you positive the shop put the bushing in as they claimed they did?

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  17. Aug 28, 2017 at 3:56 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    And did the put it on the drivers side?

18. Aug 28, 2017 at 4:40 PM
    SiglinCA

SiglinCA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma
    1-3" Low Range lift kit
    yes I am sure as I was there and they gave me the needle bearing nce they had it out? really driving me nuts!

19. Jan 13, 2023 at 5:20 PM
    BShade

BShade Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 Double Cab Long Box
    Wescott Designes leveling kit. Icon progressive AAL. SumoSprings. 4runner Off-Road Premium rims w/ 265/70/17. Baha grill. Softopper on 6ft bed.
    Where you able to solve the issue? Did you put the front diff. spacers on originally? Did you need to replace the front differential?

Products Discussed in

To Top