1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It Arrived Today: My 09 Tacoma Catalog...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AFButters, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Dec 5, 2008 at 11:35 PM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4 TRD-Sport
    Lifted
    My wife sent me a care package.. and sitting on top of all my Snacks was the 2009 Tacoma Catalog from our Local dealership... also was a Tundra Catalog.. The wife still thinks i would be happier with the Tacoma's Big Brother.

Anyone here, Go through the process of Compare and Contrast between these two Trucks?

What are you Pros & Cons

2. Dec 5, 2008 at 11:42 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    i say taco

this ain't tundraworld :)

3. Dec 5, 2008 at 11:53 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic Grey Access Cab - 2.7L I4 - 4x2
    Depends if you need the bigger truck. My friend has a Tundra and loves it, but I personally think the Taco looks nicer.

4. Dec 6, 2008 at 12:13 AM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4 TRD-Sport
    Lifted
    That is what i am tellin her.. that we wont need the bigger truck for anything.. for some reason she thinks that the truck i have wanted since i was 14.. yea going on 10 years... after a few months will feel too small..

5. Dec 6, 2008 at 12:39 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD 4x4
    fwiw i looked at bigger trucks and my dad actually offered to GIVE me his 2000 silverado in 2005...i opted for the smaller truck and ive been happy with it since...sometimes theres occasions where i could use a bigger truck...but theyre rare and i make due without it...and i've got the "smaller" 1st gen

6. Dec 6, 2008 at 12:49 AM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    I think the taco is plenty big. Its also the best looking truck IMO.

7. Dec 6, 2008 at 1:55 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Tell her to test drive a Ranger and she will think the Taco is big enough.

8. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
  9. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    You just need to tell her you've wanted one for ten years. She can't possibly argue with that. Tell her it's your reward to yourself for your service. She'll love the truck after she drives it.

10. Dec 6, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    I have had full size trucks 2002 dodge qc and take her to the dealer and let her try and park the tundra she will be ready for the taco. Im 6'1" 280 pounds and there is plenty of room in my truck. The power is good. I have hauled everything from a 1/3 cord of wood to 1.25 cubic yrd of mulch and has done fine. Unless your towing a big boat or car trailer all the time no need for the big boy. Was at the dealer this morning and the 5.7 engin gets 14 18 mpg and the 6 cyl taco qc gets 17 city.

11. Dec 6, 2008 at 7:37 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I had both, not the new gen tundra but the first true 4 door they built in 2004. I was coming off a 95 Pre-tacoma and the newly designed tacomas were too hot and untouchable pricewise so I opted for the tundra.

It was a beautiful truck, loaded and I cannot say enough good about it but way over what I needed so I sold it after a year. I had a couple of other things between then (2005) & March 2007 when I picked up a leftover 06 DC. It fits like a glove and does everything I need it do today. If not, I use a trailer or rent. Much happier in the Tacoma!

12. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:35 AM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I was originally looking for a full-size truck. But when it came down to what I actually do with a truck (haul a jet ski, 2 ATV's on a trailer, bird hunt, commute to work)the Tacoma was a no-brainer. I kinda wish I would have gotten the long bed but other than that I'm happy as can be.

I'm not a big fan of the Tundra.....it looks "funny" to me.

13. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    my buddy got a tundra, i got the tacoma. i like the small size of the tacoma and the looks. it feels more nimble and easier to park. tundra is nice because it has more power (5.7), and more room. tacoma is pretty base when optioned to the max- no climate control, no passenger option for climate, no heated seats, mirrors, leather etc. You can get all that on a tundra if you wish.

14. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    I drove the Tundra 4.7 DC for a little under a week a few months ago. I really liked it. Even though I was driving a base SR5 it was very comfortable and had all the features I wanted. Tons of interior room would make it very comfortable for long rides. Plenty of power in the 4.7 model as well. The bed was huge.

I really disliked how low the truck was. Once inside you feel that your super high up, but the truck itself has very little ground clearance, less than my stock Taco does. And because of its size it was not as easily maneuverable as my truck.

Overall I loved the truck, but it was larger than anything I'd need or really want right now.

[​IMG]

15. Dec 6, 2008 at 9:03 AM
    TheOne

TheOne Beach Prerunner

Member:
    East Coast, nc
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Impulse red
    stock

I went from a 02 Dodge ram Quad cab to the Tacoma Quad cab and I think the Taco is a much better truck as for the Tundra vs Tacoma That would have to be your decision both nice trucks

16. Dec 6, 2008 at 10:55 AM
    Delrivpilot

Delrivpilot Red Sox Nation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Westin Runnin Bars, Toytec 2" spacers, TSB suspension, Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16. Pionner Avic F700Bt, Wet Okole seats,spidertrax spacers
    What type of response did you think you would get in a "Tacoma World" website??!:)

17. Dec 6, 2008 at 12:16 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras: Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the old Taco's.... new Tundra is pretty stock
    i think im about 60/40 split for taco vs. a half ton. i could definately use the extra size sometimes, but most of the time im glad my truck is a little smaller. If i were to get a new 1/2 ton id look at the tundra, but also at the gmc sierra since its a little smaller and i can get just as much power and features + i could get the rear locker for off roading and the Tundra isnt available with one. I almost bought the Sierra, but liked the fact that the tacoma looks a little better IMO, and had more ground clearance stock. For now im sticking with my tacoma though, im just going to try and make it even more like i want and ignore my urge to look at a half ton again.

18. Dec 6, 2008 at 1:45 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008, Black sand pearl, SR5, 4X4
    PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with Hella Black Magics, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.
    I looked at trucks for a year before i decided then another 6 months to buy one. when i saw the tundra i loved it but i have no need for a full sized truck so it was ruled out from the get go. Its not the size its what you do with it.

19. Dec 6, 2008 at 2:53 PM
    nocarsallowed

nocarsallowed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4X4 - Access Cab
    NO MODS YET! 20" Enkeis with NT420 performance tires coming soon...inspired by genxer36.
    The Tundra is not a good full-size pickup compared to American competition. Look on youtube and do research. It has a weaker frame than the competition and the bed is not secured properly to the frame where it tends to hit/scratch/dent the cabin. The F-150 and the Silverado are better full-sized pickups. Stay away from Dodge! Chrysler's going to be a failed company.

One thing I do like about the Tundra is the 5.7L engine. It gives good fuel economy for a V8 with 380 horsepower.. 14 city, 17 hwy.

Get the Tacoma. It beats all other mid sized pickups in capability and probably quality too. The Nissan Frontier probably ties with the Tacoma or places second place in mid-sized.

But stay away from full-sized if you don't need it! Their future is dead in terms of resale value. Currently the car market is moving quicker than the guzzler market. In the future the guzzler market will come to a standstill.

To Top