1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It seems the TRD Sport is better......

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MudFlap, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    MudFlap

MudFlap [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I have been thinking and that alone is new for me but...... am I wrong in thinking that the Sport is generally better in most low traction situations? The reason is think so is cause witb my OR 4x4 when I go 4H it still has Trac AND ALSD, wich has a big time fun killing engine managment included and in order to turn LSD off I have to push and hold the button to turn EVERYTHING off including Trac. So In the end im left with open diff in the rear.

Now along that same line of thinking. If I had a Sport and switched to 4H, and turned off everything I would still have the mechanical LSD in the rear and up front would be the same as an OR truck.

Now, I know with my OR package I have the locker and ATrac too..... but when is 4 low ever really useful for the typical low traction spots like snow, ice, mud ect....

It just seems the 4x4 Sport is more useful in day to day type low traction areas where as an Off Road may have extra gadgets to get ya out of a tight spot but how often are you actually that bad off to NEED it?

I typed this out on my phone so give me a break on spelling and the paragraphs.. lol

2. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    06sr5prerunner

06sr5prerunner DILIGAF

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    midland tx
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 prerunner
    bhlm paint wheels duplicolor plasti dip white grill. billies 5100. bf goodrich at 285's 75 16 black valence led corner lights expedition bed rack by anb fabrication spidertrax wheel spacers rotopax fuel tanks 4gal mounted on bed rack quickfist mounts for shovel. ddm hid kit 35watt 6000k hi/low beam
    your over thinking it :b

3. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Yea a mechanical LSD is great for the 05-08 crowd but anything newer and we're left with "simulated" LSD. woohoo.

and of course

EVERYONE knows the Sports are better in all situations. lol especially blinding drivers with reflecting sunshine. ;)

4. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Paging DavidK

5. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'd take the locker for better traction in low traction situations. I do like the mechanical LSD from the older Tacomas but there's no replacement for a locker.

6. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    There are Pro's and Con's to both and it basically boils down to what you want............. but I say OR FTW!

7. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Not anymore. With the mechanical LSD, I'd agree with you but now that it's all electronic brake controlled ALSD and traction control, if you want the best from the factory, get the locker.

8. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    SR5 and build it how you want it is better than both. So there. 4Hi and Compound Lo with Front/Rear locked on Rockjocks will get you your frickin' traction.

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Depending on what we are classifying as " low traction "

I would suggest both are equal in 4x4 on snow covered surfaces where a locker is of minimal to zero benefit

In low traction dry conditions , obviously a locker is better

10. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Since DK hasn't said it yet ATRAC FTMFW.

Now end thread/ and:locked: it up

11. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    Mudphish

Mudphish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    Martha's Vineyard
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR Tacoma
    I guess if you don't live or operate in an area where the OR will benefit you then you would be correct. My advise to everyone is to purchase a vehicle that will be of good service to you, don't purchase the OR just to say you have one, buy it to use it and benefit from its options.

12. Dec 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I'm indifferent. I have a sport with mechanical, and its not the best for low traction IMO. That being said, I think its benefits outweigh the cons.

Keep it going.

[​IMG]

13. Dec 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    high voltage taco

high voltage taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 speed 4x4
    so far, URD throwout bearing kit(sleeve), weathertechs, 285/70/17's on Ion 17x9 and OME 885s and Dakars and nitro sports. BHLM
    I HAD to use my elocker yesterday. I was trying to turn around on an old dead end road and I had to back down a hill that had a rut washed out just big enough for my back left tire to fit in. The hill was to steep to try taking off in high so I switched to low and let out on the clutch and I just spun. So I reached over and hit that magic button and came crawling out like I was on flat ground. My tundra would have just spun one front and one rear in that situation regardless of the lsd.

14. Dec 31, 2012 at 2:23 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Didnt know the only the older Tacos had to mechanical LS. I guess that WOULD change things. I am learning that with my OR 4H is almost useless with out turning off the traction nannies, but once I hold the button and turn em off im left with open diffs........ I think the onlyreal way to fix this is to do the locker mod...........

15. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    you still have LSD with open diffs...

16. Dec 31, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    And lets not forget the non functional hood scoop... :)

17. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I have been trying to sort it all out also. Dave K does explain it well. Other forums have topics / posts that mention a mechanical limited slip and the electronic (brake type) utilized together is the ultimate. This lets the electronics act similar to appying the parking brake to engage the mechanical LSD.

Northwest offroad shows two styles of mechanical LSD. One is the TORSEN style like what came in Tacomas prior to the electronic LSD. The other style is a true Detroit Locker with drive rings for each axle. From reading about these lockers, it sounds like for 4WD have an Elocker in the rear and a TORSEN front is the most versatile. It allows easy follow the line chosen steering while provide a lot of grip.

I have no hands on experience with either. I still wonder though which of the mechanical LSD shown is better and why. It sounds like the Toyota OEM TORSEN mechanical LSD have had there share of problems. Maybe aftermarket is better. Then again is the Detroit locker even stronger or more reliable?

Then you have clutch plate styles and No slip diffs that are not spools.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/diff_LSD.php
    or
    http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/?href=[type+Function]&image_rotator=[object+Object]&Self=[object+Object]&onEnterFrame=[type+Function]

PK

18. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Joe, come on man, focus. It's really easy to take any topic on this site and derail it worse than Amtrak, toss in a dollars worth that is worth a real dollar.

PK

19. Dec 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Thats incorrect. 2005-2008 Tacomas had two Limited Slip Differentials available from dealer, neither was Torsen like.
    a. limited Slipp for factory TRD sport and Double Cab Long Bad was Hino 8 Inch Limited Slipp. It was manufactured in Hino factory in Japan and it is most heavy duty limited slip installed by Hino/Toyota. it has 8 clutch packs 4 on right axle and 4 on left axle.
    b. TRD limited slipp made by Eaton, installed per request as Add ON. With 3 clutch packs installed centrally.

Hino limited slip is pretty much unbreakable, all it needs fresh oil every 12 000 miles to work and it hates Synthetic oils. That is the only problem with it.
    Benefit: Unlike any other limited Slip differential it works with one tire in the air (like a locker). With 4 pinions its stronger then most lockers, its Auto so its always On, and allows speed difference between the wheels. Its made to power slower rotating wheel, instead of usual (slow the faster wheel) kind of what Lockright does.
    Unfortunately Toyota decided to never sell this in North America which is stupid.

20. Dec 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport

Proof that what I have been reading is wrong. Got to love the internet. So the Hino is a non US unit. The Eaton is a clutch plate style LSD and came in the first few years of the second generation US trucks.

Apologies for the bad info.

So dare I ask, of the TRUTRAK TORSEN style or the Detroit Locker non Torsen style, is one better than the other and why?

PK

Products Discussed in

To Top