1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It's tough to work on your truck when it's cold outside

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DonkRollings, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Nov 14, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    DonkRollings

DonkRollings [OP] New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    I'm finally going to get my '99 Tacoma TRD set up for some off-road fun after driving it for the past couple years like my grandpa would. My largest problem now is that I don't have a garage and it's starting to get too cold outside for me to be tearing my truck apart. I have to find someone I can trust to do a thorough engine service; timing belt, valves, etc., and hub, bearing, and fluid service. If that works out then I'll get them to start upgrading my suspension. Does anyone have any recommendations for this in the Seattle - Everett area?

Any support would be very helpful

:D--------- Donk ---------:D

2. Nov 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Icon's with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 295 BFG KO2, Bora 1" spacers, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    welcome to TW!
    I know what you mean man, I was outside today doin some work on the truck. Its damn cold! Sorry I have no recomendations..

3. Nov 15, 2009 at 3:06 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Welcome!

It was like that for me last year when I was in MA. That sucks. Couldn't do crap because it was so cold. Here in FL it's too frickin hot out in the summer to do anything without getting heat stroke. I feel your pain.

4. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:08 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Off Road SR5
    6000K HID Headlights 6000k HID Fog Lights Window visors (all 4) Tri-Fold Tonno Bedlined Rockers Bedlined Bumpers Bilstein 5100 Toytec 1/2" spacers 3" TSB Leafs and AAL's (Toytec) Differential 1" Drop Sway Bar Relocators BHLM Mod Debadged Pro Comp 7089s Hankook Dynapro 35" M/T's Billett Grill 55 watt fog lights in grill 55 watt fog lights on Pre-Runner Light Bar Rear Bilstein 5100's Flowmaster Super 10's Yellow Fog Light Mod Titanium Burl Wood Grain Dash Mod Leather Arm Rest Mod TRD Steering wheel Mod Painted Engine Cover Painted Fuse Box TRD Seat Belt Covers Bed Light Mod Extended/Braided Brake Lines Back up light mod
    Find some of those halogen work lights or a small propane force heater. They help a little

5. Nov 15, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I know exactly what you mean...and I asbolutely HATE the cold weather!!!

But - do you really need to get the stuff done this fall/winter?

I'm just thinking of the amount of money you'll end up paying versus waiting till the spring and you can do this work yourself. Save you some $$$ if you wait.

This is a really 'out there' kind of thought.... Look around in your area for rental garage space. I don't even know how much it would cost - but maybe you'll find someone who's nice enough to rent a space out for a few days. Buy yourself a space heater, throw the tools in the bed, and get to work.
    Just a thought - and a wild one. But hey....if you hook up with someone with rental space, you might have that option open to you whenver you want or need it.

Other than that - Take the easier stuff (fluid changes) and do that yourself. Suck it up, dress warm, and do the work. YOu'll be glad you did.
    For the larger jobs - get muliple quotes from different garages and go from there.

6. Nov 15, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Come on down to FL, it is perfect "work on the truck" weather.

7. Nov 15, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    DonkRollings

DonkRollings [OP] New Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    I wanted to thank everyone for their input... So Thanks!

When I was a kid I changed an engine out of an old Volkswagon Bug in the driveway in more than two feet of snow, and I've fried my back laying on the pavement in Phoenix replacing a driveline. So I started calling around and contacted an old friend that just happens to be a mechanic, so he says he'll set me up in his shop for a few days for free. And if he happens to be blowing smoke up my ass then I'll con a family member into giving up their garage for a couple days.

Appreciate the quick response in Tacoma World's forum. Should've joined years ago...

--------- Donk ---------

To Top