1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I've got some good news but more so some bad news

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Avman2119, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Nov 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    6.0L, yikes.. I would highly recommend reading up on some forums to do preventive maintenance and upgrades. They are all problematic.

If it was me I probably would have been stubborn and upgraded the brakes, rear suspension and re-geared the Tacoma. That or upgraded to a Tundra with the 4.6L

2. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    The 6.0 is a awesome engine. The two problems that were common for that engine were the vgt turbo slipping causeing lack of power or the egr getting clogged. Both are fixed by doing regular maint. and injection service at 30k. There are tons of aftermarket diesel companies out there that make egr delete pipes. The best source to go to is elite diesel eng. they build within factory specs and make amazing trucks. The best tundra and brakes and suspension wouldnt pull the same as that truck would. Mine was on 37's and i could pull a 15k trailer over mountains and pass cars while doing it.
    Congrats on the new truck OP!

3. Nov 18, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    DeanoCA

DeanoCA Dean

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wheatland CA
    Vehicle:
    11, Tacoma, Sport, DDL Cab, Long Bed
    Nurf Bars 1.5 Lift (Front), EOF Replacement Air Filter, Leer Shell, Tailget Lock, Okole Front Seat Covers, Air Bags
    Love the race car......

4. Nov 18, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I have respect for someone that owns a truck that big and actually uses it. Nice race car too by the way.

5. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    Avman2119

Avman2119 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks guys, I know the 6.0L has some "known" issues, I got a warranty with this one but hopefully nothing goes wrong. My girls dad has the same truck just a manual transmission and he hasn't had any major problems except for a fuel injector went out and was covered under warranty. I don't think there was anything to do to my Tacoma to make it pull like this truck does. As far as maintenance, I know that it has been in the shop for regular maintenance and I will keep it on the factory recommended schedule to make sure that anything that should be fixed under a recall or TSB is fixed. So far I do love the truck and the power it has, it's light and day difference from my Tacoma. Hopefully one day I can get an older taco and use it for a trail/hunting truck and just tow it wherever needed :)

6. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Congrats on the new truck!

As mentioned above, create an account on TheDieselStop.com and read read read! EGR delete, new oil cooler, chemically flush the cooling to system, replace the Ford Gold coolant with a silicate-free ELC coolant, install a cooling system filter, and do not run a non-factory tune and the engine will be good to you.

If you run any kind of tune without replacing the factory TTY head bolts with ARP head studs you'll blow your head gaskets in no time. I learned the hard way after blowing the head gaskets and cracking both heads. Diesel fuel in the coolant is the tell-tale sign of cracked heads so keep an eye on the reservoir.

Get a ScanGauge to monitor the difference between engine oil and coolant temps. If they go beyond 15 degrees difference, your oil cooler is plugged and needs replacing.

Keep a close eye on that engine and it'll serve you well. It pulls beautifully! :thumbsup:

7. Nov 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Should have went 7.3 powerstroke. Look up "6.0 flames out the exhaust" Apparently those things are known to internally catch fire. Like Over combustion past the piston and valves.

8. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    Avman2119

Avman2119 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The 7.3 would have put me into a way older truck. Like I said, my girls dad has the same truck and has not had any problems with it. From read on the diesel forums, most problems were in 04 and 05 for the 6.0 and were pretty well fixed by 06. If not, it has a warranty and hopefully that takes care of anything that goes wrong. I know the motor isn't as well built as my Toy was but it'll pull everything I need to pull and not struggle much if any when doing so. I do plan on getting a scan gauge or something like it to monitor the temps etc. this is my first priority.

9. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    Yeah the 04 and 05's had the majority of turbo/egr issues. I had my 05 for over three years and never had one issue with the engine. As far as monitoring the engine egt, tranny temp, eng oil and coolant temp where what i monitored usually. My programmer would let me switch so sometimes i would watch speed(bigger tires and gears). And as for the 6.0 flames out the exhaust video.. didnt look it up yet but if you search turbo blows up you will find tons of videos of cummings blowing up... point is every vehicle has their own issues... Enjoy your new truck.. i miss mine every once and a while.

10. Nov 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    sweet lookin truck! the porsche is even nice. good buy tho man

Products Discussed in

To Top