1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

jberry's Retarded Desert Penguin

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by jberry813, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 [OP] Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    All this time, I thought my wife just stayed with me cause it was convienent. As it turns out, she really does like me. [​IMG]

Happy Valentine's day to me!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
  3. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Dont forget to get the 7th injector from URD to supply fuel to that bad boy. You will get pinging if you dont.

4. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    andy2003

andy2003 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    16 4Runner SR5
    love the truck man was that the bosses 4runner i saw hiding in the garage? We need a thread on here for our 4runners!!! I think you got your fix from marty mcfly like me.

5. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    That's the grand plan. One mod at a time though. I'll be plugging the deckplate and using a regular tampon filter till I can upgrade the fuel.

Indeed it is hers.
    Got my fix?

6. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Score on the S/C!

7. Feb 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Five Hours, three beers, and countless swear words later, it's in. I'm no stranger to superchargers. I had a Jackson Racing supercharger in my Miata when I was doing track events. However I didn't install that one myself. I tore it apart more than once so I felt quite comfortable doing the install on the Taco myself after reading through the instructions.

The instructions wern't horrible, but they were certainly lacking in some areas (at least for the Tacoma throttle bodies with DBW). I had to kinda figure a few things out on my own and go on faith. I think this is the first medium difficulty mechanical thing I've done where I actually had EVERY tool I needed down to the right size tap. I REALLY got lucky on that part though. I only have one thread tap...and it was the exact size I needed. None the less, it started right up first crank! No vacuum leaks, perfect idle and that ever so slight supercharger whine I love so much.

I had about a quarter tank of 87 octane gas left in before I topped it off with premium last night. I of course took it for a nice long drive after it was all buttoned up. At WOT, no complaints at all. It pulls hard all the way through the RPM range. But just like I've read on everyone elses, it does start to ping in high gear low RPM if you floor it.

I'll be giving UDR a call tomorrow. California has retarded smog laws and of course UDR's kit is not CARB approved. I havn't really read anything fantastic about the TRD 7th injector kit either, and it's more expensive than the UDR one. However, the TRD one is CARB approved. My normal smog place has no problems turning the other cheak on visual as long as it passes the sniff test. Me thinks I'll be disabling it every couple years. :D I'll probably pick up the short shifter kit while I'm at it. Fuck it, it's on sale anyway.

Good storm came in last night and more snow to come tonight in Tahoe, so I'll have pleanty of time to put some miles on it. I'm taking an extra long weekend, throwing the snowboards in the truck and storm chasing starting early Friday.

And now for the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    So the wife asks me to go to the store to pick up some odds and ends. I of course oblige given my renewed intrest in driving. On the way, the check engine light pops on. Not too alarmed. I half expected that might happen and had my scantool in the truck. Got to the store and pulled the code. P0171...lean code.

Cleared the code and did my thing at the store. Drove home very conservatively. But FML the damn CEL kicked on again. Got home and same fucking code. :mad:

At this point I'm thinking definitly a vacuum leak. I revisted vacuum wiring diagrams provided at the end of the instructions. I mentioned before that there was some lacking documentation for the 01-04 Tacomas and this is one of them. There is no fucking diagram for the 01-04 Tacomas! :frusty: What I piecemealed together when I installed it was a combination of the 01+ 4Runner diagram with the 97-01 Tacoma diagram.

So I crawled on top of the motor and searched around for what I may have missed. Alas, I missed a barb. Take a look at the photo.

[​IMG]

When you are on top of the motor, it's easy to see the open barb right next to the throttle body. Unfortunatley when you are ground level looking towards the firewall or from either side, easy to miss. That barb is supposed to connect to the vacuum throttle opener...which a DBW throttle body does not have. There was a plug that was the right size on the factory intake manifold that I snagged and threw on the barb to cap it off...problem solved.

Took it for a short test drive and so far so good. Drive in to work tomorrow morning will let me know for sure though.

9. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    jacob_wood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Damn Jason you have been busy! Glad you got it all squared away for the most part. You better post a video of this bad boy ASAP. Hope the drive goes well tomorrow and everything is set 100%.

10. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Ok so I'm like a kid when it comes to new toys. I seriously could not wait to install the s/c. So today, I took a personal sick day. In reality, I'm just sick of work and wanted to play with my new toy. Why is this all relevant you ask? Because my fucking boss is subscribed to my youtube account. I'd rather wait till the weekend is over and then post the video to save myself the :crapstorm:

11. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    jacob_wood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Hah I understand you completely. I would of done the same thing myself man. That's good that you noticed that and will wait! As long as it gets here :cool:

12. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    va-room!

13. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    MartyMcfly

MartyMcfly Time Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pahrump Nevada
    Vehicle:
    15' 4runner Limited 4wd
    see Build page for details.
    I can vouch for this. I went for a ride in this truck yesterday after the S/C install. The thing pulls hard for a truck. And it pulls through the entire RPM range.

Very nice. :)

14. Feb 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    Anthony250

Anthony250 Ex Fabricator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Rialto CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma LT Prerunner
    LSK Race Kit, King Shocks, Methods, Glassworks, Baja Designs, Built by myself.
    Very Nice Build. How did the deckplate mod do? As far as performance and mpgs.

15. Feb 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    nice truck! Im glad to see the truck was rear LT'd before front, way better performance than front LT and stock rear

16. Feb 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    I can't really give you a good answer on that. I litterally had the deck plate in for 4 days before I put the S/C in. Not even a tank of gas ran though it. I will say that it has a much throatier sound to it and better high end torque in all gears. I plugged the deckplate for the time being since adding the S/C though. Need more fuel before I can add more air.

While I agree with all the above, I just chose a different order for toubleshooting. Deckplate mod was only in effect for 4 days before installing the S/C and I cleaned the MAF when I did the deck plate mod (gotta pull it out anyway).

As previously mentioned, it ended up being a vacuum leak. I didn't cap one of the unused barbs on the S/C. I drove the piss out of the truck today and so far, no more CEL.

FINALLY! Someone else who agrees with me! ;)

I mean, I'm not saying I did it the right way and they do it the wrong way, I'm just so sick of hearing "Why didn't you do LT up front...blah blah blah...I'm running an AAL...blah blah blah." :p

17. Feb 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    only 3 beers? haha

SC looks great

18. Feb 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Thanks. I kept the BAC level low for a reason given this was all new territory for me. That and I did start the install at 9:00 AM. I prefer milk in my cheerios.

LOL. No worries man, much appreciated. It's always good to read other peoples solutions to the same problem.

19. Feb 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Well I put over 650 miles on the truck with the supercharger. I just have one thing to say

OMFG TRD SC FTMFW!!!!!

No more CEL thrown at all. After fixing the vacuum leak and the ECU figuring out how to add fuel, all pinging is gone except for 5th gear and under 2000 rpm and going WOT.

As promised, here's the first startup video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyEH37LEs3Y?fs=1

20. Feb 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    URD 7th en Route!
    Talked to a guy named Gadget over at URD. No BS, no upselling, strait to the point. Stand up guy and company for sure.

The URD Kit comes with a new fuel pump so...who feels like helping me drop the tank? :help:
    Beer and pizza provided :D

Products Discussed in

To Top