1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBA Long Tubes Installed

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TheHansen, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    TheHansen

TheHansen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    I got my jba long tubes and o2 sim from urd today. Everything went in all right, no cel and no leaks.

The new sound at idle, and very mild take offs is incredible. Verrry deep.

But if i get on it, the rasp is crazy when paired with my aero turbine 2525.

Now the truck felt sluggish on the first test drive. (battery had been disconnected for a while) Will the performance at least go back to normal when my truck relearns for the new headers?

I did do a couple 0-60 runs pre install which averaged 7.2 s.
    I have yet to time another run.

2. Oct 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Did you buy a MAF calibrator from urd too?

3. Oct 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    TheHansen

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    I did not.

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    TheHansen

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    I think it did just need to readjust to the new setup. Highway speed acceleration is much better with the headers. I did notice a decrease in the mid range, but it feels a little more torquey at real low rpms (pedal feels more touchy when first taking off). Obviously not by much, but it feels a little different.

So minus the really loud rasp (kind of expected though) i am happy with my purchase. Everything line up and bolted up great, sounds good, and pretty sure i got some performance gains.

Now next on my list is a MAF calibrator, a wideband afr gauge since i have the extra bungs on the new headers to tune it, and possibly an afe stage 2 cai. Haven't really decided if a CAI is worth it or not from all the mixed reviews about them.

5. Oct 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    TheHansen

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    Update:
    Brought the same friend with me as when i did the 0-60 runs before the headers. filled my tank up to the same place, and went to the same place and timed a few more runs. I tried to make sure all the variables were the same, to get as accurate as possible of a comparison.

pre headers
    0-60 = 7.2s
    with headers
    0-60 = 6.8s - 6.9s it was back and forth between the two

definite improvement, I'm very surprised.

6. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    Unleashed

Unleashed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Hills, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    General Graber at2 tires prerunner bar by fabtech 3inch leveling kit Hid Kit Kc slim lights Tinted tail lights Flat black Headlight housings
    whats up guy i just bought the JBA long tube headers for my 05 tacoma and i just wanted to know if i am going to need anything beside the headers i bought? just want to make sure my truck doesnt run funny for mess anything up.

thanks

7. Dec 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Once the OEM ecu relearned itself is when it would really make improvement. Like you noticed.

There is another mod that you can do to your exhaust, depending on which cat back you have. If you have one. It will really increase the flow, and pick you up a few more ponies as well.

I will post pics later when I get to a computer. It is easier visualized than explained.

8. Dec 1, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    The only other thing you would really need is the O2 simulator, like the OP purchased. To prevent a check engine light, for no cats.

9. Dec 1, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    If the AFe Stage two is the one that looks the same as the TRD 1st gen CAI, then yes, it does increase horsepower. Less restriction equals more power. It flows more than stock and easier.

Especially noticeable on an F/I setup.

10. Dec 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Here is the second mod that I mentioned earlier. It deals with the Y-pipe to cat back specifically. Here are the OEM and URD 4x4 Y-pipe next to each other.

[​IMG]

The point of interest is the flange where the Y-pipes mate to the catback exhaust. As you can see, they both bottle neck down, right before that flange. Now the URD is much improved over the OEM, due to being made out of 304 SS and having all mandrel bends. Equals less flow restiction and better power. However, due to the fact that URD had to design it to fit with all forms of aftermarket catbacks, having that flange with bottle neck was a necessary choice.

Gadget even admits that when he designed it, the intent was for those that wanted to go the extra step and improve upon it just that much more, it would be very easy.

This is what my was done to remove that restriction after my friend and I discussed how he should go about building his exhaust.

IMG_0153_bf63405900998e9c20633b4007fe9ead1c23831d.jpg

Now, this is more for those that decide to run the 3" catback, but the same principles apply for someone who wanted to run a 2.5" catback as well.

Cut the flange off at the restriction. Weld on a 3" V-band flange. Weld on a short piece of 3" exhaust tubing. Straight through and you will feel an improvement in the power band.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42949

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    03evo8gsr

03evo8gsr Member

Member:
    Very nice. I might do this when I get mine changed out.

Products Discussed in

To Top