1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBA Offroad Upper Control Arms And Suspension MEGA Thread BS thread

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tcBob, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Dec 11, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    More castor. Should be ideally 3.8*

trippen1999 and CLMT[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Dec 11, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    CLMT

CLMT Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    San Diego , CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Prerunner Xtracab 3.4l
    Bilstein 5100’s f. 5125’s r. Eibach 2.5” Procomp 7069’s. Falken wildpeak at3 265/75r16
    According to the shop any higher on the caster he won’t be able to get camber within spec. Does that sound wrong ?

tacocart762 likes this.
  3. Dec 11, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    tacocart762

tacocart762 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    desert55gr
    Santa Clarita Valley
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad Dbl Cab Long Box
    1.5in Bilstein 6112 Front,1in Alcan Leaf Rear with Bill 5100's. Battle Armor side step,bull bar, and rear step.
    Yes that sounds wrong. I had to go to an off road specific shop. What some mechanics do not understand is that these UCA's are built to have higher caster numbers so the stock numbers no longer apply. If it were the stock UCA's and the mechanic was going off the numbers in their alignment machine then they would be correct. New JBA UCA's=non-standard caster numbers. I have a third gen but my toe and camber at around 0 and the caster is 4.5 and the truck drives so great!! Also when I am at full lock and mostly turning left with a bump I get rubbing too. My tires rub the ROckBlokz mudflaps I bought. It bothered me at first but now I am not so worried. It happens.

CLMT[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 12, 2020 at 4:49 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Did you get the high castor arms or the stock castor arms?

VE7OSR likes this.
  5. Dec 12, 2020 at 6:16 AM
    Sig Taco

Sig Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco DCSB
    Icon Rebounds 17x8.5 Toyo 35/12.5/17 JBA UCA, Bilstein 6112/5160, KDMax
    The more i read about UCA, the more confused i get. One said only SPC UCA has the ability to move the wheel forward. While the other UCA maker moves it back??

6. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:04 AM
    CLMT

CLMT Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    San Diego , CA
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100’s f. 5125’s r. Eibach 2.5” Procomp 7069’s. Falken wildpeak at3 265/75r16
    I got the high caster arms. I’m going back to the shop when they open at 8. So I should have them try and get as close to 3.8° on both sides with camber & toe at 0°? Thanks for the response!

tacocart762 and Texoma like this.
  7. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Yes, I pm'd you the alignment#'s youll need. The tech should have no problem getting them within the spec I gave you.

CowboyTaco likes this.
  8. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    SPC adjustability is a gimmick. There is only one logical position the SPC control arms should be set at.

JacksonTacoma likes this.
  9. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    CLMT

CLMT Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    San Diego , CA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome thanks for the info! Hopefully the tech can get it right this time

tacocart762 likes this.
  10. Dec 12, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    tacocart762

tacocart762 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    desert55gr
    Santa Clarita Valley
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad Dbl Cab Long Box
    1.5in Bilstein 6112 Front,1in Alcan Leaf Rear with Bill 5100's. Battle Armor side step,bull bar, and rear step.
    This image and these numbers were sent to me from JBA after I bought the UCA from them. This is an optimal numbers sheet straight from the manufacturer of the UCa's.

taco alignment numbers.jpg

SR-71A and CowboyTaco like this.
  11. Dec 12, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    BackOff

BackOff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Central Oregun
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4Runner V6 4x4
    Noise mods/Weight Mods
    Funny
    Your pic is "chop shop" and folks listen to your statements?

What is "gimmicky" about having more adjustability.
    Near as i can see is "ignorant" to how they actually function.

And whats with all that toe in in that last pic posted? Thats the recomended from JBA?
    That will eat tires with all the toe in.
    The caster is just allmost into the sweet spot 3.5 to 4.5, might not wander all over the place just going straight.

I am just shadetree so take with grain of salt.

12. Dec 12, 2020 at 2:36 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    The gimmick is that any other position in SPC will result in crap wheel placement inside the wheel well.

13. Dec 12, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    BackOff

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Central Oregun
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4Runner V6 4x4
    Noise mods/Weight Mods
    From what?
    The recommended "D" setting.
    Some have found that by adjusting the balljoint setting, which is not on any other UCA, is offering more clearances with a "G" setting at the SPC UCA, for 35" tires...so as not to rub the body mount.

Not only that the SPC gives you an adjustable camber, no others have that.

Most of that bad rep these SPC got in the beginning seemed to me like bad installs from folks that should not have been working on these in the first place. Utube mechanics.

65skyturbo likes this.
  14. Dec 12, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    65skyturbo

65skyturbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue DCSB TRD Off Road
    @BackOff I think you hit the nail on the head. I bought my first set of SPC arms before there was even a JBA option. With 34's I found that "E" helped with the cab mount rubbing and now with 35's the "F" position is ideal. I have a plate bumper which allows for the tire to be pushed forward without rubbing. It would be a different story if I still had the factory front bumper. Still getting 4 degrees caster in the "F" position since the lower cams are maxed in at the front & out at the rear. With that said, if I had to buy another set of arms and I was keeping the factory bumper, I would definitely give the JBA arms a try. I like that they can take a off the shelf ball joint and I know he stands behind his work....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  15. Dec 13, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Then go get you some SPC's. I know there is a fan club for em, but I deal with diagnosing issues with them more than any other brand. When I install them, they are done correctly.

MtnFisher and whatstcp like this.
  16. Dec 13, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    BackOff

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Central Oregun
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4Runner V6 4x4
    Noise mods/Weight Mods
    Have had SPC since 2011...zero issues.

71tattooguy likes this.
  17. Dec 13, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Also have had SPC, all issues, but I also wheel the fucking shit out of my truck. SPC is good for a pavement princess.

whatstcp and Dirtridercrf250 like this.
  18. Dec 13, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    BackOff

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Central Oregun
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4Runner V6 4x4
    Noise mods/Weight Mods
    Sure thing bud.
    And by the way "castor" is oil.
    CASTER is something you can adjust.

19. Dec 13, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Ah, you're also a grammar enthusiast, you mom must be so proud.

whatstcp and FastEddy59 like this.
  20. Dec 13, 2020 at 4:13 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    All brand loyalty aside, I've "followed" @Texoma 's work for a few years now. He has a good reputation and I would take what he says to be truth. He's installed a TON of UCAs on multiple variants of Toyota "trucks".

Let's keep this thread on track for just JBA stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top