1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL Head Unit, can I upgrade w/out replacing?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by madisonsfinest, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest [OP] Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    OK, so I have the JBL Headunit with 6 discs, bluetooth, xm, and rear camera. You have to turn this thing up quite a bit to get any decent sound, and it sounds like its straining to produce any quality sound. I'm thinking a more powerful amp would help this set up. I believe it has a built in amp already, is it possible to add another amp?

I've looked at replacing the head unit, but all of the harnesses, bluetooth, & camera would cost more than I want to pay. I'm fine with the stock bluetooth, and back up camera.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    The camera is not part of the stereo. Most head units now have bluetooth built into them. Yes you can add aftermarket amps to the stock stereo but it will be somewhat difficult. The JBL system uses one amp to power all the speakers. You would have to get an amp for speakers and drop the sub or add an aftermarket amp with an aftermerket sub.

3. Jun 26, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    madisonsfinest

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    I added the camera because I would not be able to use the stock one with a new head unit, right? I have an Alpine amp sitting around so that shouldn't be a big deal. So how would I bypass the stock amp? Sorry I don't know much about car audio.

4. Jun 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    madisonsfinest

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
To Top