1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL or not?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 99TacoDriver, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Aug 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM
    99TacoDriver

99TacoDriver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    OME 885x/5100s/LR UCA/3 leaf AAL/275/70/17 Terra Trac X-Venture
    I have a 2009 trd that I bought second hand in 2013. The truck came with an aftermarket head unit (sound storm labratories touch screen)and the screen crapped out on me about a year later but the auxiliary port still worked so I used it with just that up until now.
    I have a pioneer avh x4800bs and I have it all installed but the back speakers don't work.

I'm not sure if I have a JBL system or not but I ordered the non JBL wiring harness. I searched around and can not find any pics of what wires are behind a JBL system.
    I've seen videos of installing a new deck into a similar year tacoma and I have all the same connections but I have anot her wire back there with a black male connector that was not in the few videos I watched. Does this mean I have a jbl system?

Also I have steering wheel controls.

2. Aug 21, 2016 at 11:17 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    If you look on the speaker panel on your door it should have a JBL logo on it. Or pull back the rear passenger seat and see if you have the factory sub back there...

With JBL Amp and Sub
    [​IMG]

Without JBL AMP and Sub.
    [​IMG]

If your connector in the back looks like the top one in the picture below you have a JBL system.
    [​IMG]

If you do have a JBL system you will need a line out converter (Like this one) to make it work with your pioneer. Or, I have a 2013 factory JBL navigation radio I have listed for sale (shameless plug).

99TacoDriver[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 21, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    99TacoDriver

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Ok I for sure don't have the JBL logos or the subwoofer behind the seat so I guess I don't have a JBL system but I still can't figure out why my rear speakers are not working.

The reason I asked if I had a jbl system was because the other crappy head unit I just took out had a lot more to the wiring harness than this one does and I'm not sure why.

And also I was looking at the factory rear speaker connection in the truck and there are 5 pins in it and the harness that plugs into it (the one I bought from crutchfield) only has 4 pins in it.

I found it odd so I looked on the harness I pulled off the crappy one and it had 5 pins, but the 5th pin was a wire that was capped off and the wire was labeled dimmer (it was orange and white or maybe yellow and white can't remeber)

Edit: I have checked the fader and I I have rest the whole system to try to reconfigure it all.
    I also checked all the connections. I'm stumped

4. Aug 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM
    99TacoDriver

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Here is a picture of the wiring harness pulled from the old crappy deck
    You can see the bottom connector having 5 pins. That's the one for the rear speakers
    20160821_164506.jpg

And this is the full harness. Fuses everywhere and some weird fuse box?? Idk what this is for but I'm assuming it came with that deck

20160821_164539.jpg 20160821_164550.jpg 20160821_164737.jpg the pic above is the old crappy deck that rattled louder than it could play music

Here is the wiring harness that I have in the vehicle. The black one is the one that I'm concerned with because idk what it is, steering wheel control maybe? ive also never seen it in the steering wheel control write up i seen. But every video/ write up I've seen for tacoma does not have this connector. It was also NOT connected with the old deck. The blue is for the rear speakers.
    20160821_165920.jpg
    This is the wiring harness that is currently connected for the rear speakers. Notice only 4 pins.
    20160821_165937.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top