1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL system with after market speakers

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FormerJeepGuy, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Mar 28, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    tacothyme

tacothyme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    265/70/17
    I think you should install the speakers you have in your possession already and see if you're happy with the results! Thinking about this from a cost perspective... there's no need to spend more money than you need. Chances are, all the kicker components are 4ohm but are so much better than the stock JBL, you likely won't notice a drop in volume.

The factory sub is garbage so I'd suggest swapping that out with something like the Rockford Fosgate 8" P3 shallow mount (dropped into factory location) Wire it up to the stock amp and see if it meets your needs! If not, add the LC7i and a mono amp to drive the sub. Then the doors/tweeters could run off the JBL amp.

If this still isn't cutting it for ya, then ya I'd suggest tearing the factory sub/amp out and using a 5 channel amp to drive aftermarket speakers. And put a 10" sub in a new box instead of the factory location.

I had mentioned the Infinity Kappas just as an example of a 2ohm 6x9 speaker. The non-component infinity Primus looks like a good bet too if you wanted to stay closer to factory impedance. Maybe start with the kickers, see what you think and if not meeting your expectations - pick up the Infinity Primus or similar 2 - 2.7ohm speakers. Finally, if you're planning to keep the factory amp, the amp handles crossover for the tweeters so getting component speakers with crossovers opens another can of worms. I'd suggest going w/o components.

Two final thoughts:
    1. Consider adding sound deadener. This in itself can make a world of difference and is a small monetary investment.
    2. Don't throw away your JBL speakers. I was about to junk them but decided to take a chance and post here on TW. I was VERY surprised at how many people wanted to buy them. Sold in 20 minutes... 30% over asking... lol who woulda guessed.

Boomer3731 likes this.
  2. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:05 AM
    House Forsaken

House Forsaken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Traded) 2017 TRD Off-Road (Traded) 2018 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for your help!

I've already ordered the Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow mount Sub! I'm sure initially it will be better than the JBL one that's in there. I understand it won't mount in the factory holes, did you use self tapping screws to mount yours?

I'll probably stick the kicker's I have in and see how it is. I am concerned the sound quality because the kicker 6.5's I have for the rear are subs. The front 6x9 are the Kicker CS 3 ways. If I were to have to purchase other speakers to fill in the sound gaps, I'd just purchase 4 infinity speakers.

What's my best option regarding the dash JBLs? Being part of a component system, so I assume should change them. I saw a post where someone removed the connections from the stock JBL and attached them to the subaru kicker tweeters (which i already have too). Is the the recommended approach? Or should I just the the JBLs in there?

I'll definitely grab some sound deadener! All the posts I've read say this has made a huge difference. I'll use the money I'm saving from not purchasing the infinity speakers (yet) and invest in some of that. How many rolls of the stuff did you need?

Thanks again for your advise!

3. Mar 29, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    tacothyme

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    265/70/17
    Ya man always happy to help!

Yes, I did use self tapping screws. I was a little careless with my approach angle as it was getting dark and I was several beers deep - but no one's looking and it stays in place so who cares haha.

Good call with the kicker 6.5's. Now from my understanding the JBL amp does push full range sound to the rear doors so it might be a bit muddy sounding back there. But as a driver/passenger there's so much damn treble already you may not notice..

The dash JBLs I replaced with the subaru kickers and just configured my own harness. Interestingly the dash JBL tweeters are surprisingly heavy and have quite large magnets. They might be the highest quality out of all the JBL speakers. I didn't test the sound with the four doors replaced and the tweeters factory so can't speak to how that sounds.

Sound deadener - I used Noico black 80mil 36sq feet. Pretty sure I got it on Amazon or eBay for like $55.
    I was able to basically fully cover the front doors insides and out and about 60% of the rear doors. If I had more I would have also done behind the sub/along the back of the cab and more on the rear doors (such as inside the interior panel.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Boomer3731 likes this.
  4. Apr 8, 2019 at 9:21 PM
    LandLover

LandLover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma Limited
    Can you share how you made the wire harness for the kicker tweeters? My plug has two pins and speaker has four???

5. Apr 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    tacothyme

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    265/70/17
    I don't have any photos, but I cut the square plug off the subaru/kicker tweeters and tapped those loose red and black wires into some extra toyota speaker harnesses I had lying around - like these: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ik4aZ46S53b/p_120728104/Metra-72-8104-Speaker-Wiring-Harnesses.html

that harness plugs into the two pronged plug for your JBL tweeters, then the loose wires from the tweeter get crimped into the open ends.

6. Apr 17, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
  7. Dec 4, 2019 at 6:45 PM
    Roadspoke

Roadspoke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Taco 4X4 AT 4.0 SBDC
    Shocks 5100, 2016 trdpro struts, K&N airfilters and removed factory maxipad in airbox, 2in. catback 50 series Flowmaster, BFG AT tires, tint, Leer shell.
    I will be installing componet door speakers to replace the stock jbl drivers.
    The wires come from the amp and I want to connect the those wires to the
    Cross over. Question would it work better to combine the positive leads then neg. leads
    to feed the cross over and connect the outputs tweeter and woofer or
    Use the cross over with tweeter input only and woofer with amp wire?
    I will test these ideas and hope not to f it up.
    Any ideas?

Products Discussed in

To Top