1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL Tweeter going bad - where can I replace it?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by zk6760, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Aug 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    zk6760

zk6760 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    My driver-side JBL tweeter is cracking pretty bad, and while I plan on eventually replacing the system, I would like to replace the tweeter - cheaply, if possible.

I am not finding much online, but what I did see was showing the tweeter for the JBL System at over $100...which doesn't seem right.

My 2010 has 32xxx miles so I don't think this would be covered under warranty. Does anyone have any input as to why it might be?

Also, any links where I can purchase a cheap OEM/JBL tweeter for the system?

The cracking is driving me insane and I don't plan on upgrading for at least a few months.

Thanks!

2. Aug 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I don't know if the warranty would cover it or not. But replacing just the tweeters might be easier than dealing with the dealership, depending on the dealership.

Keep an eye out in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. People will sometimes sell the stock speakers once they've upgraded to an aftermarket system. I didn't see any just now when I looked, but its still a good place to keep an eye out.

If you don't want to wait, you could buy some aftermarket ones. Sonic Electronix has a large selection of tweeters here. They range from $8 to $200 so there is probably something in your price range. Crutchfield also has some here, not as many as Sonic Electronix though.

3. Aug 30, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out on BST. I'm really just trying to go for a cheap replacement for now as I do plan on doing an upgrade in the future. I guess worst case I may just disconnect it.

4. Sep 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    overload

overload Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    13DCSB
    If you disconnect the tweeter, you might have to clip one of the wires as opposed to just unplugging it. Since the speaker will lose signal also. At least thats what I had to do in my 07

5. Sep 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Appreciate it - I've decided to just go in and buy a new OEM one for now. Going to ask about warranty, but seriously doubt I'll be covered. Those little guys are expensive!

Products Discussed in

To Top