1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jerks into 1st or Reverse

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kleptican, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    Kleptican

Kleptican [OP] New Member

Member:
    North Palm Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4, 6 speed
    Hello All,

I have an 06 4x4 with a 6 speed. About two months ago, when I first started the truck, when I went from a dead stop to either 1st or reverse, the truck jerked as if I didn't give it enough gas and felt like it was going to stall. Finally, I decided to just give it gas and when I engaged 1st gear, everything was fine. I could shift and drive with no issues.

The other day, I had the same issue when I started the vehicle. However, not only did it jerk until I engaged into 1st, shifting didn't feel as fluid as it's always been. It felt a little rougher to shift (sorry can't give a better description). I'm not sure what could be the issue with only 29K miles on it. :confused:

Any thoughts?

2. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I had issues with my 6Spd. Worst it got was the shift handle would get thrown out of the slot in Reverse.
    Had bad shift forks-Toyota replaced the trans under warranty.

3. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Kleptican

Member:
    North Palm Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4, 6 speed
    Hah, as soon as you said "replaced the transmission", I dropped my jaw and ran straight to my truck to find the warranty. I guess I'll be giving them a call today.

4. Feb 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    I was going to say maybe the winter weather is the culprit, but you're in Florida... You don't have winter... :)

Up here in Edmonton, my truck jerks, jumps, and my stick-shift feels like it's embedded in a puddle of mud. Then again, when it's -30 outside, that'll happen!

5. Feb 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    Kleptican

Member:
    North Palm Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4, 6 speed
    Hey, when the temperature gets below 70 it feels like winter to me :D

I actually just went to the Toyota dealership and they said that there was a bulletin out on Tacoma models between 2005 and 2010 (and 2007 - 2010 FJs) for 6-Speeds. There's some issue with the clutch engaging. So, they're aware of it and thankfully it should be covered under the warranty... that ends this month.

To Top