1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jerzsubbie's 2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR **Lots of PICS & Links**

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by jerzsubbie, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Feb 22, 2018 at 3:47 AM
    jerzsubbie

jerzsubbie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    Thanks. Yeah I saw that thread a couple months ago and is how I learned about them to begin with.

11Bguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Feb 22, 2018 at 5:44 AM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    Let me know how much of a bitch it is to install. I will need UCA's eventually.

3. Feb 22, 2018 at 6:00 AM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    I will outline it here.

4. Feb 22, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    11Bguy

11Bguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Va
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD
    Icons/ JBA UCA's
    It's not fun. You have to cut the existing UCA bolt and put the new one in backwards, even then there still isn't a lot of room. Not to hard just not fun.

5. Feb 28, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    What:
    After only a week I was already getting a couple scratches on my door sills so I grabbed some door sill protectors.

Parts used:
    I ordered both of these:
    Genuine Toyota Tacoma Door Sill Protectors PT747-35161
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017YBNDEC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Jh0LAbT9B0100

Custom Fit 2016-2018 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Door Sill Paint Protection
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EI6RBIA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Zu0LAb41D49GF

And the OEM Toyota protectors don't hold a candle to the aftermarket ones! The Toyota protectors are very stiff, almost plastic like, and have very little texture. I could see more texture than I could feel. I also feared that the stiffness would result in it peeling up more easily.

The aftermarket protectors are much more flexible yet made of a tough, well-textured rubber-like material.

Install:
    They installed super easily. I was able to simply line them up on the little ridge below the sill and lined them up laterally with the plastic trim piece in the door threshold. I used a hair dryer to warm up the metal to promote adhesion since it was barely 60F that day.

$30 & 15min well spent!
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Klondike Kid and PerryTaco like this.
  6. Feb 28, 2018 at 4:30 PM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    What:
    Finally received and installed my TRD Pro grill. I had the China grill but sold it and bought the OEM 2018 since they dropped price so much. Luckily I got mine just before they started requiring VINs!

Install:
    The install was pretty simple, took probably 10min. Unfortunately my OE grill's tabs were so brittle that 9/16 partially broke or cracked when I released them. That cost me a good bit on the resale value of the stock grill but whatever.

Swapping over the sensor was a piece of cake. No issues thus far.

Parts used:
    TRD Pro Grille Tacoma: PT228-35180
    Garnish Radiator Gr: 53141-35060

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    11Bguy likes this.
  7. Mar 11, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    What:
    I wanted to do a mild lift, the right way, without braking the bank. Figured a 2-3" would be perfect.

Parts Used:
    Lift Parts Pre-Install.jpg

Bilstein 5100's w/ extended rears
    OME 888 coils
    Dakar medium leaf packs
    +4" red SS brakelines
    JBA UCA's
    1/4" spacer for driver's side lean (ended up not needing it)
    Wheelers/Energy urethane bushings for leaf packs
    Wheelers 7.75" HD U-bolts
    ECGS mod
    All high quality, high value parts, stayed comfortably under $2k for everything

I have to give a big thanks to Josh at @Wheeler's Off-Road Inc , he was super helpful, responsive, made sure I got the right stuff, and provided options to help me get the best deal!

Install:
    My friend @Tacomasprime05 helped me do the install since he's done his twice and I watched a handful of youtube videos. In total the install took us 12hr including one trip out to Lowes.

We started up front, diassembling the suspension, digging right in to do the ECGS. I used the below videos to help me.
    Front - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOW-FRDl5wg&t=17s
    Rear - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spGpKnBejUI&t=124s
    ECGS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9W31KGy6k0&t=747s

The most helpful were the torque specs and details in the @Low Range Off-Road videos and the method used in the ECGS video of removing the axle. I found using a large flathead and 4lb sledge on the little notches on the CV's. We removed the front and mid skids as well as the sway bar and front frame braces to make working a little easier.
    Lift Install - ECGS Mod.jpg

After getting the ECGS mod installed with the help of their tool, we installed the JBA UCA's which are very nicely built, the 5100's in clip position 0, and 888 coils. We used the jack method to compress the coils and it was easier than I expected. I'm glad I skipped the $90 assembly fee.
    Lift Install - Front shocks UCA.jpg

It was getting dark and we were getting tired by the time we started on the rear so I didn't take any pics but the toughest part by far was the rear brake lines. Remove the brake lines from the hard lines between the top frame rail and bottom of the bed was very difficult. Installing the same wasn't any easier, but the rear brake lines definitely needed to be extended.

Otherwise installing the Wheelers/Energy bushings was a piece of cake. The Dakars were pretty simple to install, following the Low Range video's instructions.

I used the brake lines from this group buy (https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/amazing-deal-on-steel-braided-brake-lines.97331/). They were nicely built, the color is nice, but I didn't need +4" for the front, +1 or 2" would've been a better fit, however +4 was perfect for the rear. My one complaint about these lines is the fact that use a standard hex nut on the fitting ratehr than the elongated circle with 2 flat sides like the OEM lines. This means that the lines don't fit the brackets too well, plus they didn't fit snugly into the brackets. So I had to use 18g x 5/8" machine bushings/washers. The thicker ones on the right are what was available at Lowes and won't work, on the left are the correct ones from Ace. Minor issue but if I had to do it over I would have bought Crown lines for $20 more like my friend did.
    Brake line washers.jpg

We got everything re-assembled and torqued down, then proceeded to bleed the brakes before re-mounting the wheels.
    Lift Install - Torque Front.jpg

Before measurements:
    FD 35.5
    FP 35.5
    RD 37
    RP 37.375

Not the greatest pics but I had next to zero driver side lean. The passenger side is about 1/4" higher, the rears are only 1/8" off.
    After: +2" up front, + 2.5-2.75" out back
    Post List - Ride Heights.jpg

I took it to Firestone in the morning to get a lifetime alignment, they were great about aligning to my specs, and even though their printer was down they took a pic of the screen for me. Super nice guys at the Concord Mills NC location.
    On my way home I found a little mud, somewhat unintentionally, but made for some good pics.
    Post List - Muddy Front1.jpg
    Post Lift - Muddy Rear1.jpg

I'm very happy with this lift, the height is great, my CV angles are good without a diff drop. I will be doing a carrier bearing drop, I just forgot to order it. The ride is actually better than stock, particularly the rear is significantly smoother on the street.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  8. Mar 11, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    And now I have a nice pile of 1mo old parts to sell.
    Lift Parts - Post install.jpg

9. Mar 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Battery
    Looking good! How hard were the UCA's to install? did you need to cut the bolt?

10. Mar 11, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Battery
    @caterpilllartacoma is looking for someone with the ECGS tool...maybe you could lend it to him for a small fee?

caterpilllartacoma likes this.
  11. Mar 11, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    I'm actually going to sell the tool for @Tacomasprime05 since he no longer has a need for it, same goes for the bushing press tool kit. Feel free to PM me as they're at my place.

12. Mar 11, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    Thanks a lot! The UCA's weren't very difficult at all. We used some "BA" channel locks to bend the sheet metal out of the way as shown in the Total Chaos video (not linked above), popped out the wire harnesses on the back side of that sheet metal, then with him pulling, I used a hammer and large flathead to tap the rim of the bolt all the way out. We did the same but in reverse to re-install the bolts. If you didn't have a second set of hands it would probably be a royal PITA.

13. Mar 11, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    caterpilllartacoma

caterpilllartacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    working on it
    I gave in a got the removal tool when I bought the bearing, but may be interested in the install tool

14. Mar 11, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    Tacomasprime05

Tacomasprime05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    Blue trd sport 05
    Led light conversion Kn air filter Total chaos uca King coilovers Cab mount chop Headlight hydrodip housing Grill craft/ Bay Area metal fab grill Light bar in hood scoop Weld on spindle gusset SOS concepts sliders Soft topper Bluetooth radio conversion
    Great write up bud! Was a ton of fun! And for the most part (short of rear brake lines) went very smoothly!

jerzsubbie[OP] likes this.
  15. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    TacoBlake

TacoBlake Member

Member:
    Gainesville FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR
    TRD Pro 2018 Grille TRD Pro 17” Rims BFGoodrich AT K02 265 7017
    Was any hardware used or included when you installed the garnish? Or did it just snap into the front of the Grille?

16. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    It was super easy, there were 3 screws on the back of the sensor. Just remove those screws, then slide out the 2 nuts that are on the grill, move them over to the new grill, and reinstall the sensor. The garnish just snaps in place. The whole swap is super easy.

17. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Battery
    I just saw your before/after measurements...did you install a 1/4" spacer on the driver side front?

18. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:30 AM
    jerzsubbie

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    I did not because I had no lean before the lift, but I have the spacer and am contemplating installing it now. I'll probably give it a few weeks to settle, install, and get it aligned again since I have the lifetime alignment.

19. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Battery
    Ah yes, never mind - just saw you said you did have it but did not install it.

IIRC the factory suspension is dialed in to compensate for the 1/4" difference, but aftermarket is not. Should be easy enough to install without needing to take apart the whole suspension.

jerzsubbie[OP] and JimboAnz like this.
  20. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    Truck is looking great bud :thumbsup: get some measurements of center of hub, to bottom of fender. more common way to measure, to eliminate tire size in the numbers

Products Discussed in

To Top